Aruba Beach
Page 13 of 71 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 708
Like Tree226Likes

Thread: Rest In Peace

  1. #121
    Senior Member Chadd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Arikok Antilla Natural pool
    Posts
    1,441
    Davey seemed like a good guy. He was nice to me when he was doing some work at a recording studio back home. He actually lived in the area for a while.

  2. #122
    Aruba since 1979
    Moderator
    Andrea J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    26,901
    Robert Sherman, with his brother wrote................
    Supercalifragilisticexpeladocious, Chim chim cheriee, It's A Small World

    (pls no criticism on my spelling)
    RIP Bob, your music made lots happy
    Last edited by Andrea J.; 03-06-2012 at 08:05 PM.

  3. #123
    Senior Member corona's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    479
    No criticism from me, that's for sure. My 4th grade teacher had a tradition of putting supercalifragilisticexpialidocious on a spelling test, and I just checked, and had one letter wrong (e for an i). I guess some things do almost stick for too many years to count.

    I'm sorry to hear that the song writer has died.
    No Shirt, No Shoes, No Problem
    Next Aruba trip in
    Loving Aruba Since Honeymoon 1984

  4. #124
    Aruba since 1979
    Moderator
    Andrea J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    26,901
    http://www.scpr.org/blogs/newmedia/2...cess-bought-s/

    the Princess Cruise Line's "Pacific Princess" off to SCRAP HEAVEN ~~RIP.
    (my 1st cruise in 1977 was on her!)

  5. #125
    Senior Member Arubalisa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Any Aruba beach...
    Posts
    13,170
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    http://www.scpr.org/blogs/newmedia/2...cess-bought-s/

    the Princess Cruise Line's "Pacific Princess" off to SCRAP HEAVEN ~~RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post

    (my 1st cruise in 1977 was on her!)

    Our Dream Was to Sail Aboard the “Love Boat”

    I assume she will be going to the Alang Ship Breaking Yard , "Pollution's Poster Child"

    For cruise aficionados-
    On the Road to Alang gives a glimpse into what happens to these old great ladies. Alang, Gujarat: The World’s Biggest Ship Breaking Yard & A Dangerous Environmental Time Bomb

    Peter Knego has been a true savior of any vestiges of dignity which these grand dames had left
    On a Mission to Save Cruise Ship Décor

    For Andrea, the demise of one of her favorite ladies, and a grand one at that! http://maritimematters.com/2010/04/ss-france-ss-norway/

    For myself, my favorite grand dame, the SS Britanis, 26,000 gloriously compact GT, sank on her way to Alang. In my mind, a much more fitting demise at the bottom of the seas which she sailed for 68 years.

    Part of my heart sank with her, but it was so much better for the grand dame to have gone to the bottom of the sea than end up at the devil's doorstep in Alang.


  6. #126
    Aruba since 1979
    Moderator
    Andrea J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    26,901
    thanks lisa!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Arubalisa View Post

    Our Dream Was to Sail Aboard the “Love Boat”

    I assume she will be going to the Alang Ship Breaking Yard , "Pollution's Poster Child"

    For cruise aficionados-
    On the Road to Alang gives a glimpse into what happens to these old great ladies. Alang, Gujarat: The World’s Biggest Ship Breaking Yard & A Dangerous Environmental Time Bomb

    Peter Knego has been a true savior of any vestiges of dignity which these grand dames had left
    On a Mission to Save Cruise Ship Décor

    For Andrea, the demise of one of her favorite ladies, and a grand one at that! http://maritimematters.com/2010/04/ss-france-ss-norway/

    For myself, my favorite grand dame, the SS Britanis, 26,000 gloriously compact GT, sank on her way to Alang. In my mind, a much more fitting demise at the bottom of the seas which she sailed for 68 years.

    Part of my heart sank with her, but it was so much better for the grand dame to have gone to the bottom of the sea than end up at the devil's doorstep in Alang.


  7. #127
    Senior Member SanNic44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Savaneta
    Posts
    1,162
    Lisa,

    Thank you very much for those links about Alang and the other ships.

    The SS United States remains a hull, slowly fading at a dock in Philadelphia. While it is sad, if need be, I'll come out of reef building retirement and put these ships on the bottom for scuba divers and fish houses. But with the price of iron what it is, they'll soon be going after the wrecks I put down just to get the metal.

    Bon dia.

    44
    Aruba's Novelist in Residence (sometimes)
    http://www.bentpage.wordpress.com/

  8. #128
    Senior Member Arubalisa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Any Aruba beach...
    Posts
    13,170
    Quote Originally Posted by SanNic44 View Post
    Lisa,

    Thank you very much for those links about Alang and the other ships.

    The SS United States remains a hull, slowly fading at a dock in Philadelphia. While it is sad, if need be, I'll come out of reef building retirement and put these ships on the bottom for scuba divers and fish houses. But with the price of iron what it is, they'll soon be going after the wrecks I put down just to get the metal.

    Bon dia.

    44
    You are welcome. There is some hope for the lady who "has the heart of a lion"

    "the SS United States Conservancy will secure the SS United States and her legacy by establishing a public-private partnership to refurbish and repurpose the ship as a self- sustaining, multi-purpose stationary waterfront attraction and by conducting effective education and advocacy programs on behalf of this irreplaceable American maritime icon."

    The Conservancy now owns the ship so there is no immediate danger of her going to the breakers.
    AND she has already had her asbestos removed which I am positive is another huge plus in saving her.

  9. #129
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Boca Catilina
    Posts
    400
    At on point a few years ago they even considered turning it into a Casino, it is a reminder of of a glorious past

  10. #130
    Aruba since 1979
    Moderator
    Andrea J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    26,901

    mike wallace cbs 60 minutes age 93

    Broadcasting legend Mike Wallace has died, CBS News announced on Sunday.

    He was 93. Host Charles Osgood broke the news on "CBS News Sunday Morning." The network did not announce when or where he died.

    Wallace was one of the original hosts and correspondents of "60 Minutes." He was a trailblazer, known for confronting his subjects and originating the newsmagazine format. His style became standard for television news.

    Developing.

Page 13 of 71 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO