I just saw this thread, and I am floored. I wanted to send my best wishes to Rob and Cindy for a complete and speedy recovery. I wish I had some good advice for the AA problem, but I don't. Despicable.
Robo update...from CIndy:
Rob looks good, its what you can 't see that is the problem.
Back in the ER today as his eye and upper lip was swelling up.
Had a complete checkup and an eye ultrasound.
A blood clot was found in his eye. It needs to dissolve. It appears that his retina is intact as they could kinda see it today.
Back on antibiotics with 3 types of drops about every 2-4 hours.
Surgical area above eye looking red..
Its a daily thing around here.
We have 4 more scheduled dr appts in the next week, could be more as they add more when you are there. We still need to see the glaucoma specialist, trauma guys, plastics doctore and the retina specialist.
I have put 990 miles on my car so far in 9 days of visits to boston ( 90 rd trip) and each and evry trip to boston cound be a hour one way or 3 hrs each way depending on the idiots who roll over etc. on 128, 95 or rt. 1.
That is where we are right now. I have no idea if we are going to aruba or not.
His sght is slightly improving.
The healing process takes so much longer than you can stand - Rob and Cindy, please tie a knot and hang on! I hope you get a compassionate soul at AA to listen and act on your behalf...it is a crime that long time customers get treated so badly by the airlines, I guess we can add them to the other rip off artists out there...banks, car companies, etc, etc, etc. What is our world coming to? I just hope when the dust settles you have your eyesight back. Praying for you all!!!
It was just announced (here in Canada) that they are asking the airlines to be more lenient about people rebooking due to illness. Obviously, this has to do with the Swine Flu and encouraging people not to travel if they are sick. Most airlines have said (apparently) that they will try and ease the restrictions about rebooking.
Will try and make a trip decision tomorrow.....if answer is no, then the calls to American Airlines will rise to a new level..
Cindy...I pray with all my heart that Rob's vision is not affected when all is said and done.....Also I do not know how much this will help, but if Dr says he can not fly d/t eye...ie. cabin pressure, etc then I do not think AA can refuse to refund tickets....plan on getting a script from dr if need be.....then call a lawyer just to make sure....
But with any luck as I said in previous discussions I hope to see you both at the Ren.....God Sped and prayers are headed your way...
If you had written documentation from the doc, I would think the airline would be humanitarian and do the right thing.
Several years ago, my parents were planning a trip to New Zealand and Australia with another couple, B & A. A was diagnosed with cancer 2 months before scheduled departure. A was helpful to my parents in that she waived HIPAA and provided my parents with whatever documentation they needed to give to the airlines so their tickets could be refunded. The airline refunded everything. My parents and B&A rescheduled when A was through treatment and got the go ahead from her doc to take the trip.