Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: On A Sad Note ...

Unhappy On A Sad Note ...

My 94 year old grandmother with whom we just shared a fabulous Christmas holiday with in Aruba, is now in the hospital.

She fell twice yesterday and is in the hospital with a crushed wrist which will require surgery as well as a broken foot. I was not surprised when my Mom called. It was only a matter of time before this happened. She has fallen before, but luckily never was injured more than a few bruises.

It was her vanity which was the factor in her choice not to use a walker, which she certainly should have been using. Walkers in her mind "are only for old people" and "she is not old."

Now I suppose she has to live with the consequences, but it is sad nonetheless.

Aruba since 1979
    prayers for your grandmother.
    hope all goes well and she winds up back to being herself soon.
    old is a state of mind i guess and she is still outta state?

i have met her and know she'd hate to be laid up the way she is........so let's hope and pray for a full and speedy recovery.

the sucky part is, the wrist will impede her recovery.
    they'll probably boot cast her foot and if she can manuever with the walker that'd be great...........but with the hand out of commission too, that impedes the physical therapy.

Quote Originally Posted by Arubalisa View Post
    My 94 year old grandmother with whom we just shared a fabulous Christmas holiday with in Aruba, is now in the hospital.

She fell twice yesterday and is in the hospital with a crushed wrist which will require surgery as well as a broken foot. I was not surprised when my Mom called. It was only a matter of time before this happened. She has fallen before, but luckily never was injured more than a few bruises.

It was her vanity which was the factor in her choice not to use a walker, which she certainly should have been using. Walkers in her mind "are only for old people" and "she is not old."

Now I suppose she has to live with the consequences, but it is sad nonetheless.

Oh dear. I'm so sorry for her. Wrists are a nightmare when you break them.

*Mame sending good vibes you way*

Thanks guys! <<hugs>> Dd was quite concerned but we are going to telephone her after dinner, so hopefully it will help everyone feel better.

Wow 94,God bless her,hope all gets better.

I also want to send you and your precious grandmother gentle {{{hugs}}}. I'm sure the recovery will be not be easy, but I wish her the best.

Hugs and good wishes for your grandmother!
    ~Amy~ - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 -- 36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018

Hi Lisa,
    So sorry to hear that your grandmother has to go through this. We will include her in our prayers, for a speedy recovery, courage, strength and that she may enjoy her independence as long as possible. Keep us posted!
    My grandmother lived to almost 93, but with her, mobility was key and she even bought her own wheelchair, as long as she could leave her house and go see her friends at Kibrahacha (social club and center for senior citizens - I call it the Party House - there is always a birthday or other celebration going on) and get around with help from the lady who lived with her to help her out.
    Don't worry, grandma will realize she wants to keep moving around and will hopefully settle for the "old look" in exchange for mobility.
    Big hug for you and grandma. Wish her good luck with the surgery for us.
    Margaret

coronacathy
    Lisa,
    I'm so sorry to hear about your grandmother. She sounds like a fiesty women. 94 yrs. old! God Bless Her. I wish her a speedy recovery. Hope all goes well.
    Cathy

Thank you so much everyone. Your kindness and warm thoughts mean a great deal to me. We spoke to my grandmother last night and her spirits were pretty good considering the pain she is in and lack of sleep. She has always been a positive thinking person so this will help her immensely. The good news is that as of now, there will be no surgery.

The bad news is that dd is not taking this news very well. I'll see what her frame of mind is after I pick her up from school today.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast