Aruba Beach
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mmattalo

Thread: shopping- Black Fri and Cyber Mon

Aruba since 1979

shopping- Black Fri and Cyber Mon

did anyone participate in a "black friday shopping experience?" or waiting for monday?

we saw a number of stories on the news and it looked to be a horrific kind of experience.
    what has society become?

my only shopping yesterday was going to the apple store online, window shopping.

Much to my chagrin here in Calgary (Canada) this whole Black Friday thing is starting to become a big marketing ploy. They theory is it will "keep the Canadians from shopping in the US" but really it is just a way to coax the masses in to believing they are getting a great deal. A bit sad in my opinion but then again I am going to head to Future Shop to get a $20 credit on the Kobo Vox I bought last week which is now $20 less just this weekend.........hmm.............

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    what has society become?
    Mob mentality...every man for himself.

Due to the economy, we've cut back on gifts this year and for the most part finished shopping. All shopping done online.

No wonder we are in the shambles we are in . . . is it REALLY that important to use pepper spray to rush the line at a shopping centre? My middle son was blown away by the civility of the Japanese during the tsunami this past March (he was there) . . . vending machines are prolific there for virtually anything you can imagine to purchase . . . and when the tsunami struck, the vending machines "unlocked" whereby those who needed nourishment can get it for free . . . no vandalism, no hoarding . . . just plain civility. He was staying at a local hostel and during the first night of the tsunami, and without electricity, the owners of the hostel prepared a meal for those staying there and opened their best bottle of sake . . . can you see this happening in North America?
    Michael

Micheal, I think there are some good stories out there as well. Unfortunately with our media driving the current events, violence and controversy sells.

With a retailer offering only 2 flatscreen TV's for say 500 people, only two people are going to be satisfied.

Same with any number of the bargains offered here in the U.S. on black Friday, with such limited quantities for some folks, once in a lifetime purchase, they are willing to do almost anything.

Perhaps it is time for our retailers to step up to the responsibility in today's world of "spread the wealth" and offering more products at a bit more expensive price so there is enough to "go around" for everyone.

This would certainly alleviate some of the violence.

My wife was visiting her parents because I was supposed to be working. I ended up hitting a couple stores and got some things for her between midnight and 5AM. I also ended up ordering some stuff on Monday for her.

Best Buy had an insane line and limited merchandise. I was wanting to get an electronics deal for my husband :/ but no go. So we went to Macy's and got some kitchen supplies. Not too crowded in the lingerie dept so we cashed out there in a jiffy Heading to Aruba in under 2 weeks!!!! Yay!!

Went to my local target Friday late afternoon. Saw they still had a Kindle for $85. I scooped it up and told the clerk how surprised I was they still had one. Turns out a local ordinance prohibited opening at midnight, so they opened in the morning & still had merch in afternoon. Just missed the Acer netbook by about 5 minutes. This was about 5pm. I wondered about that opening time, but shouldhave asked ahead of time. This store is adjacent to a neighborhood, and when Walmart wanted to open a new store and stay open 24 hrs, the neighborhood prevented it that way. They didn't want to hear those big trucks in the middle of the night.