Aruba Beach
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: thanksgiving plans and menu?

I was just reading these posts to Tom. His response; "What else would you have, you can't make it!"

I love a homemade cranberry sauce every so often, but NOT on Thanksgiving
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

I wish I could be eating Thanksgiving dinner on Palm Beach, sigh....

Our daughter happens to have almost a week break from college due to her class schedule this semester (yay!), but our son is coming home from OSU Tuesday night and needs to be back in Columbus by Thanksgiving night (boo). The marching band has rehearsal 9am Friday and then gets on a bus to head north (Saturday is the OSU game against that team up north, whose name I cannot say or type; you know, Michi... cough cough). They are spending the night in Toledo before heading to Ann Arbor on Saturday.

So, to answer the question to the thread, we will be eating an early dinner at my father-in-law's house who happens to live 20 minutes from us, on the way to Columbus. We have not yet flipped a coin to see who has to make the drive to Columbus and back (a little over 5 hours round trip). I'm taking desert to my in-law's. Thanks for the pumpkin pie dip recipe Tracey; guess what I'm making!! I'll also be ordering Derby Pie from a website and picking up a pumpkin pie from someplace. I don't like cooking and baking.

Friday, we will be going to Toledo as well. The OSU band will be performing a concert at the Stranahan Theater, to which we have tickets. It will be the first time my daughter has seen her brother perform with the OSU band.

Unfortunately, we do not have tickets to the game on Saturday. I've looked on ticket resale sites and OMG they are so outrageously priced!!!

playa linda, aruba beach club, wacky wahoos, driftwood,french steakhouse, any happy hour
    looks like the Islander grill for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Traceyd14 View Post
    I love cranberry sauce from a can! We will be having that for sure!
    We are planning to have our Thanksgiving meal this Sunday. I'm waiting to hear if family will be joining us. If not, I will just do a turkey breast instead of a whole turkey for just the 2 of us. This is the first time in 20 years my husband's company has not given each employee a turkey, sign of the times I guess. We will have green bean casserole, mac & cheese, corn (regular if my brother comes, as a casserole of not), mashed potatoes, stuffing, etc. I will makes Jon's favorite: pecan pie and a pumpkin cool whip dip type dessert. If my brother comes it will be plain rolls, if not it will be cornbread. My brother is a picky eater and likes very plain food. So it's 6 days away and I don't know if I am cooking for 2 or 10 or somewhere in between.
    Nothing like cleaning for company and shopping and cooking a last minute meal while we are packing and getting ready for our trip.

How could I forget, sweet potato casserole, my favorite!
    Our annual pre-Thanksgiving low key lunch, aka Carb-Fest 2015 was a success. I started cooking last night so that everything would be ready in time to eat while watching football. It ended up just being Jon and I since my nephew has a cold so my brother decided not to share their germs (thank you!). The good news is now I won't have to cook dinner the next 2 nights.

Jon took a picture of his plate, so the canned cranberry sauce is missing since he doesn't care for it. I did the green bean casserole and mac and cheese in crock pots and it worked out better than expected. I also used Parmesan cheese in the green bean casserole and it was a hit. We also had turkey, mashed potatoes, candied sweet potatoes, and corn. I also made a salted caramel pecan pie that Jon likes, but I didn't care for; and a traditional pumpkin pie which was more for me.
    thanksgiving plans and menu?-food.jpg
    Not sure when, but we will be back

Looks Delish! Like you I'm more of a pumpkin pie fan. Tom goes more for Apple. Any deviation from traditional dishes are frowned upon. I reserve any experiments for New Years Eve. One year we had tuducken that we both enjoyed. Glad your dinner went well!

Quote Originally Posted by Pegmeister View Post
    Looks Delish! Like you I'm more of a pumpkin pie fan. Tom goes more for Apple. Any deviation from traditional dishes are frowned upon. I reserve any experiments for New Years Eve. One year we had tuducken that we both enjoyed. Glad your dinner went well!
    My mother-in-law is one of the best cooks ever. I would put her up against any southern style cook and she could compete. Paula Deen's got nothing on her :-) Why I bring this up, is because I like to put my own twist on things so that we don't both end up comparing it to hers. I like to find recipes that are just a little different and then put my own twist on them. Sometimes it works, sometimes not so much.
    Not sure when, but we will be back

Love the other posts.
    We are about two weeks back from Aruba. We are having Thanksgiving with my son and his family, here in Bridgton, Maine. The food will be great. The comfort of family during this season cannot be measured. Barbara and I wish all you a great Thanksgiving season. We were so fortunate to have two weeks in Aruba together.
    All the best to you all.

Bridgton, Maine; what a beautiful place to be for Thanksgiving. Growing up I spent a lot of time during the summer in Naples. Haven't been back in years. Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Aruba since 1979
    mainely aruba please post your aruba story or a least a few little snippets.

and tracey...looks deelish
    mac and cheese at turkey day is a southern thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainely Aruba View Post
    Love the other posts.
    We are about two weeks back from Aruba. We are having Thanksgiving with my son and his family, here in Bridgton, Maine. The food will be great. The comfort of family during this season cannot be measured. Barbara and I wish all you a great Thanksgiving season. We were so fortunate to have two weeks in Aruba together.
    All the best to you all.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast