Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree86Likes

Thread: Things I've learned while packing for a non-Aruba vacation.

Things I've learned while packing for a non-Aruba vacation.

This week we leave for our first week long trip that is not to Aruba in 3 years. We've done long weekends but this is it for the week long trip. Packing for a driveable beach vacation is pretty much a nightmare. Here are a few thoughts I've had this week:

The cost of renting a palapa could be $100 a day and I would prefer that over umbrella shopping for the perfect beach umbrella that I get to drag around and dig a hole for every day while we watch to make sure a wind gust doesn't blow it away. And chairs, I have to set up my own chairs, oh the horror.

I will never again take for granted the towels provided by the resort. They take up so much space and there's no exchange, unless you count changing them from the washer to the dryer.

There are no weight limits on my bags or fees for extras so I have nothing to stop me from packing up my entire summer wardrobe and half of my kitchen. Nor is there anything stopping my husband from packing half of the inventory of a Bass Pro Shops fishing section.

The thought of packing the car is almost as exciting the thought of driving the I-95 corridor on one of the busiest weekends of the year. Instead of duty free shopping and airport bars, we get gas stations and South of the Border.

I hope the sarcasm and joking tone came across in this. I'm really happy to be spending a week with some of our closest friends, but the logistics are stressing me out. So much to do, so much to remember. If only I was born into a wealthy family and could afford to just fly our group to my Happy Place! A girl can dream!
    7 trips in and still finding things to love. #8 will be great in November!

Aruba since 1979
    have a wonderful time and i do not envy your trip on I95 south to the beach!

once you are there, ENJOY.

safe and easy travels

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    have a wonderful time and i do not envy your trip on I95 south to the beach!

once you are there, ENJOY.

safe and easy travels
    Jon's solution for traffic is to leave at 3-4am. That's the usual time he is at work. I plan to nap and dream that I am waiting for my palapa reservation on the Playa Linda Beach.

Good post, Tracey! Have fun on your non-Aruba vacation!
    Darlene

Once your there you'll enjoy. Your next Aruba trip will be even more fun because you have to wait for it. At least that's what I tell myself when we go somewhere other than Aruba. Have fun!

Stress & vent now - get it all out so you can enjoy!
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Great advice Peg and Jacki! I know it's going to be a blast. But looking at the cost and the hassle, this may very well be our last non Aruba beach vacation for a while, if I have my way in the matter..lol. I guess since it is Jon's birthday trip it was only right for him to pick it.

I think this is a big reason why we don't vacation down the shore anymore. Not worth the hassle. Also why we've never tried any other island - afraid of the disappointment.

Very nice of you to allow Jon to choose for his bday.....for the last time! lol
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Aruba since 1979
    we were considering driving north to the cape for a week in pocasset and then on to york maine to visit the kids.
    the thought of packing and driving 1300 miles for questionable weather, a summer cottage without the amenities that i need/want and traffic.......
    we decided on bypassing the cape, and will fly to maine in early august.

i know this trip has been a huge concern for you tracey.
    now that it is almost here.....ENJOY.
    hope that the weather is perfect.
    happy birthday to jon. (jon, from now on your birthday will be celebrated in february and tracey's will still be in november and BOTH celebrations will be in aruba)

Good choice on flying. Jon and I are terrible road trippers, both of us. The drive there isn't bad but hopefully we both survive the drive home.

I love your way of thinking about the February birthday!
    I'm really hoping for good weather, it looks like a decent forecast. Last time we did this trip we had 4 days of rain and it was so bad we actually decided to come home Friday afternoon a day early.
    I love our friends, I can only imagine the shenanigans we will get in to. Bring on the tropical drinks and of course our signature bud lights! And remind me never to complain about the airport again..lol!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast