Aruba Beach

Thread: those that we admire or were of such importance

Aruba since 1979

those that we admire or were of such importance

Rob o and i were having a private messaging discussion in regards to the losses that we as "baby boomers" have had in our lifetime.
    (now, i do not mean the losses of our parents or spouses or loved ones, but i do mean the losses of public figures that we had become familiar with aka sports figures, clerics, movie stars "public figures")

I think the Ted Kennedy thing got some us us "thinking".
    I told Rob that in my lifetime the losses that affected me in one way or another were JFK, MLK, RFK, Cardinal Cushing , Princess Di and now Ted.

Now as an 8 yr old JFK really had no impact on my life except that I (sounds silly) wanted to be his kid. I wanted the damn pony, Macaroni. Silly and stupid but hey i was 8.
    His funeral and mourning greatly affected me.
    Then as a 13 yr old when RFK and MLK were killed it hit me differently....the violence and hatred! Who were these hateful violent people??

So i am opening up this thread.
    Which public figure's death affected you?

As Rob said to me.....having TK gone is another piece of ur childhood gone too. (i paraphrased)

andrea

Overall not a public figure, but the loss/death which affected me the most was 911.

If I thought longer about it I might be able to come up with something more profound, but first PERSON who came to my mind.

Every little girl dreams of being a princess.
    Princess Diana captivated the public.
    Her life snuffed out in one tragic death at such a young age, with so much to live for and so much to give. Fortunately her charitable works go on-- The Diana, Princess of Wales Memorial Fund http://www.theworkcontinues.org/

I agree with Lisa 911 had much more of an affect on me than any other,knowing someone who died in the attack hit home.

...to Andrea's list, I would add John Paul II. Cronkite also comes to mind...perhaps because it was so recent.

I am struggling to think of others. Many come to mind, but all of lesser significance.
    Please contact via e-mail at arubarennowner@gmail.com

Aruba since 1979
    yes indeed pope jp2, !!!
    i was amazed and thrilled to learn of his involvement of the fall of the iron curtain e. germany and eventually the ussr!
    he was a man or reconciliation.

i love this thread and i am glad that rob o and i had our privaste messaging conversation yesterday.

I do remember where I was for JFK and RFK's death. and for reasons I dont understand, princess diana's death.

But I think what affected me most is 9/11. I knew someone (I had worked with her) who died and I know so many people who were affected.

Stevie Ray Vaughn
    I was in high school and playing guitar was a huge part of my life at the time. Outside of that, I really haven't been impacted much by the passing of famous individuals.