Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Tourist detained over gun in luggage

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean

Tourist detained over gun in luggage

As the question came up if tourists can bring a gun to Aruba, it's a big NO NO!
    I just came across this recent article:

Retired Arkansas teacher jailed in Aruba

Marielle Mohs , KTHV 11:32 AM. EST April 14, 2016

PINE BLUFF, Ark. (KTHV) -- A former Pine Bluff teacher was jailed on vacation in Aruba last month for possession of a gun.

Dr. Andranette Anderson has been jailed since March 21 in Aruba. She was traveling with her cousin, who was not a part of the THV11 interview, to celebrate Anderson’s 53rd birthday.

“It's like a nightmare,” said Patricia Smith.
    Anderson has been jailed for more than three weeks now.

“She's a church going, God-fearing lady, and this just something that is not even in her character,” said Keatrick Walker.
    Her family, including her cousins Tawanna White, Keatrick Walker, Patricia Smith, and Anderson’s long-time friend Sharon London-Payne are in shock Anderson was arrested for possession of a gun.

“It was in a box. It was not hidden. It was just in a zip space, just put in there, not hidden or anything,” said White.
    Going through customs, Aruban security found a gun in Anderson’s luggage.

The cousin she was traveling with was questioned and let go. That cousin flew back to the U.S. to tell the rest of the family what happened.
    “Andranette wouldn't even handle a firecracker, let alone a gun,” said London-Payne.

According to the U.S. Consulate of Curacao, the U.S. Government and a representative in Aruba cannot get anybody out of prison, a U.S. passport does not give any special privileges or treatment.

Now Anderson’s family is worried, not knowing how and when she can get home.
    “I can't sleep because we don't know what kind of situation she's living in,” said Smith.
    All the family can do is work with the Aruban court. They already hired an attorney there to represent her.
    “We were told that he was one of the best attorneys in Aruba,” said Walker.

The family says during her first court appearance on Tuesday, they found out Anderson’s finger prints were not found on the gun, but there is also no surveillance footage showing anyone putting a gun in her luggage.

“The lawyer told us that that the judge said that she was not happy or satisfied with the investigation thus far,” said Walker.
    The judge decided she will go back to court in 60 days. Meanwhile, the family says they feel like this situation is a "hoax."

“She's never had, probably not even a speeding ticket, in her lifetime,” said London-Payne.
    Not knowing exactly who can help, they are reaching out to anyone.
    “We're just sitting waiting and praying,” said Walker.

Congressman Bruce Westerman's office says it's aware of Anderson’s situation and they are working with the family.

A candlelight vigil will be held in Anderson's honor soon, but details have not been released yet.

http://www.thv11.com/news/local/reti...ruba/131844026

Certainly awful story if true. A good reason to NEVER walk away from your belongings when traveling.

Boca Catalina, Arashi Beach Manchebo Beach, Eagle Beach
    Quote Originally Posted by Aruba4ever View Post
    Certainly awful story if true. A good reason to NEVER walk away from your belongings when traveling.
    She had to give up her luggage when she checked in at the ticket counter. It makes me wonder if someone handling the luggage might be involved.

CK1
    Quote Originally Posted by hatteras View Post
    She had to give up her luggage when she checked in at the ticket counter. It makes me wonder if someone handling the luggage might be involved.
    I thought the same. But then, there are usually many security cameras at the airport, including where the luggage is handled as many times, those handlers steal from the luggage.

The judge decided to hold her another 60 days. Usually, this is done if he has reasonable doubt. During that time the investigation will continue.

Hatteras, I guess I was not really thinking an employee would do such a thing but one never knows...point taken and agreed with

Aruba since 1979
    post # 40 in the other thread had a mention of if gun permits were allowed and the answer is NO.
    NO guns allowed in Aruba (except law enforcement)
    but that thread was about home burglaries.

so i took the postings about the detained tourist and created a new thread for it.

CK1
    Amigoe.com posted an article about this case on April 15, 2016. Here is an interesting snipped I could retrieve. I noticed as well that the age and initials of the name slightly differ:

A retired teacher from Arkansas, USA, was on airport March 21 of this year, Reina Beatrix arrested with a gun in her hand luggage. The 56-year-old W.A.A. ...

amigoe.com

And this happened WAY TOO close to home

http://www.northjersey.com/news/pate...-say-1.1553126
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Boca Catalina, Arashi Beach Manchebo Beach, Eagle Beach
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacki View Post
    And this happened WAY TOO close to home

http://www.northjersey.com/news/pate...-say-1.1553126
    These stories are always so disturbing. We have had that happen here also.

I've been thinking about other times this lady's luggage could have been away from her, even for a few minutes. Possibly, she could have called for someone to bring her luggage down to the lobby when she was checking out of the hotel. She might have stored her luggage in the hotel luggage room for a while before she went to the airport. Her cab driver might have helped her into the car and then placed the luggage in the trunk. Even though we think that we are watching our luggage, there are a few times that it is out of our hands. From what I've read about this woman, it just doesn't sound likely that she would have put the gun in her luggage, but then, you never know.

Sad.. I never ever leave my luggage alone even to go to the wash room.. someone in "my family" will guide the luggage at all times.
    Just hope the truth comes out. It always does.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast