Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Tourist detained over gun in luggage

Quote Originally Posted by hatteras View Post
    These stories are always so disturbing. We have had that happen here also.

I've been thinking about other times this lady's luggage could have been away from her, even for a few minutes. Possibly, she could have called for someone to bring her luggage down to the lobby when she was checking out of the hotel. She might have stored her luggage in the hotel luggage room for a while before she went to the airport. Her cab driver might have helped her into the car and then placed the luggage in the trunk. Even though we think that we are watching our luggage, there are a few times that it is out of our hands. From what I've read about this woman, it just doesn't sound likely that she would have put the gun in her luggage, but then, you never know.

You're so right. Even though we think we are watching and we (well, I) answer the question of if anyone had access to it without even thinking about it, there are many times when other people may gain access to our stuff.
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    According to the Amigoe article (snippet), the gun was in her "hand luggage".

Not sure if that means her purse or her carry-on. And not sure if the article is correct, many times the media reports differ from each other.

CK1
    Here is another case with some informative info:

Connecticut Man Arrested After Bringing Gun to JFK: TSA

A Connecticut man flying to Aruba was arrested on a weapons charge after police said he tried to bring a handgun through a John F. Kennedy International Airport security checkpoint Monday morning.

The New Canaan man told Transportation Security Administration officers that he forgot he put the gun in his carry-on bag, according to the TSA. Officers detected the .22-caliber firearm in the man's bag at the security checkpoint via the X-ray machine and found it in a case.

TSA officers stopped him from bringing the handgun beyond security. Port Authority Police arrested him on a state weapons charge and seized the gun.

The man was one of 90,000 passengers TSA officers screen on average daily at the airport, according to the TSA.
    TSA and police have not released the name of the passenger arrested.

The TSA reminds passengers that they are responsible for what they bring in their bags to a security checkpoint and that weapons, including firearms, firearm parts and ammunition, are forbidden from carry-on bags, according to the TSA. Anyone who brings a firearm to a security checkpoint faces possible criminal charges and fines up to $11,000 from the TSA.

TSA advises passengers to inspect their carry-on luggage before entering an airport "to make sure there are no illegal or prohibited items" and to review their state's firearm laws before traveling.

http://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/l...266066851.html

CK1
    One more:

Upstate New York woman arrested after handgun found in carry-on at Kennedy Airport: police

Port Authority police say Nerels Beatriz Wiseman, 40 of Chatham, NY was checking in at JFK for a Delta airlines flight to Aruba. An examination of her bag revealed a .40 caliber Glock 26 pistol inside.

That’s one way to ruin a tropical getaway.
    A 40-year-old upstate woman was busted Thursday at Kennedy Airport with a handgun in her carry-on bag when she tried to board a flight to Aruba, according to police sources.

Nerelis Beatriz Wiseman, of Chatham, was checking-in for a Delta flight to the Caribbean island when she handed TSA screeners a green carry-on bag, a Port Authority spokesman said.

Inside the bag, security found an unloaded .40-caliber Glock pistol, the spokesman said.

The woman, who allegedly said a family member must have put the gun in the bag, was slapped with a felony charge for weapons possession.

Earlier that day, screeners found a BB gun in another woman’s carry-on — she was issued a summons, the spokesman said.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.2122688

It sounds like people are doing the wrong type of packing on their way to Aruba????

CK1
    Quote Originally Posted by Aruba4ever View Post
    It sounds like people are doing the wrong type of packing on their way to Aruba????
    Or vise versa. This retired teacher from Arkansas was on her way to the US.

A quote from the "Godfather" just came to my mind:

Leave the gun, take the canolli!
    Last edited by CK1; 04-27-2016 at 05:01 PM.

CK1
    Here is some great info:
    Transporting Firearms and Ammunition

You may transport unloaded firearms in a locked hard-sided container as checked baggage only. Declare the firearm and/or ammunition to the airline when checking your bag at the ticket counter. The container must completely secure the firearm from being accessed. Locked cases that can be easily opened are not permitted. Be aware that the container the firearm was in when purchased may not adequately secure the firearm when it is transported in checked baggage.

When traveling, comply with the laws concerning posession of firearms as they vary by local, state and international governments.

More important info at link:

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/transport...and-ammunition

CK1
    Update:

Retired Arkansas Teacher and Gifted Gospel Musician Dr. Andranette 'Anne' Anderson Jailed in Aruba

Excerpt:

"The facts are that the family has been in contact with Anne...as well as me and my wife," Howard shared. "She's in good spirits and what she says is that this is her Job moment."

He added that she is at the mercy of the Arubian government.

"Their system is not like ours. Anne is no longer in jail; she is in prison. The Arubian government is set up that you are guilty until you're proven innocent. So it's totally opposite of ours," Howard said.

He added that Anderson said she has been treated fair and does not need anything at the moment such as money. If the need for finances arises, Howard said a public plea will be made and an account will be opened at a local bank. No other fundraising efforts have been authorized and the group advises the public to be cautious regarding donating to a Go Fund Me account that was set up with Anderson's picture on it.

Howard stated that Anderson has an Arubian lawyer who has stayed in contact with him and she has a trial date set for July 1.

http://myemail.constantcontact.com/R...id=e2oMkV6JuQw

CK1
    [QUOTE]
    "Their system is not like ours. Anne is no longer in jail; she is in prison. The Arubian government is set up that you are guilty until you're proven innocent. So it's totally opposite of ours," Howard said. [
    /QUOTE]

This statement is not correct. It must be confusing and difficult to deal with an unfamiliar justice system. The Aruban justice system is similar to the Dutch (and German).

Here is some info, much more at the link:

Overview: Aruba’s Judicial System

1. Aruba Criminal system is mirrored after the Dutch criminal justice system
    2. Traditionally distinguishes itself from other criminal justice systems including the U.S. on many aspects including the severity of sanctions imposed
    3. Basic 2 categories of criminal offenses: (i) felonies equivalent ("misdrijf") and (ii) misdemeanor ("overtreding")

Courts & Judges
    16. All judges appointed by the Queen. Not through elections or political appointments.
    17. Appointed for life.
    18. Judges must follow special, rigorous training of 6 years, to qualify for appointment.
    19. Alternate judges can be appointed based on trial experience & specific expertise
    20. Trial by 1 judge in Court of First Instance of Aruba
    21. Appeals handled by 3 judges of the Common Courts of Appeals of the Netherlands Antilles and Aruba
    22. Appeals at the Supreme Court in the Hague, Netherlands
    23. Decision of the supreme court do no constitute legally binding precedent, there's no official stare decisis. Although lower courts tend to follow supreme court views.
    24. Role of the examining judge: (i) during pre-trial to independently examine the legality of procedural aspects & well-being of suspects; (ii) upon instruction of the trialing judge to examine or cross-examine witnesses at request of defense; can't take the role of a trial judge.
    25. Examining judge as a rule not the same individual as trialing judge, to ensure objectivity and impartialness

Pre-trial
    26. Pre-trial detention possible in cases of felonies in case that there
    are:
    "... facts and/or circumstances that can justify a reasonable suspicion of involvement in a(ny) criminal act ..."
    27. Various phases of detention
    - Detention ("aanhouding"): detention for up to six (6) hours; followed by release or
    - Arrest/detention ("inverzekeringstelling"): per order of the prosecutor plus 2 X 48 hours
    - Examining-judge review of the procedural legality of the first 72 hours of detention
    - Detention ("bewaring"): extension of 8 days (so far total 10 days)
    - Detention ("gevangenhouding"): extensions and subsequent extensions, possibly leading up to the date of the trial
    28. During this phase the defense has remedies to file for suspension of detention and/or other injunctive measures
    29. Place of detention. First 10 days usually a police station, after that to the correction facility

Trial
    30. Suspects have right to trial within a reasonable period of time
    31. Public hearing
    32. No trial by jury, but by a professional judge
    33. No plea-bargaining
    34. No death penalty
    35. No permission required by the prosecutor from the court to go to trial
    36. Indictment presented, at the prerogative of the prosecutor, after investigations have taken place
    37. Defense will have chance to cross-examine witnesses before an examining judge
    38. Maximum sentences: (i) Life imprisonment; or (ii) limited time. Section 11 Criminal Code
    39. Maximum sentence of limited time sentence is 20 years i.e. 15 plus 5
    40. Life sentencing has been issued in the past by the Courts.
    41. Death sentence abolished since late 1800's and since then no serious attempts to re-instate same.

Principles of legality (nulla poena)
    42. no conduct can be characterized as criminal, unless defined by a specific statute
    43. all legal statutes are subject no very strict interpretation
    44. newly imposed (heavier sanctioning) can't be imposed on a suspect retroactively
    45. only penalties imposed by statutes may be applied.

Much more at link:
    http://www.caribbeanchoice.com/aruba...asp?article=62

CK1
    Short update in Amigoe.com about this case:

In brief

Wednesday, May 4th, 2016

(Aruba / Aruba)

The detention of a retired teacher from Arkansas, USA, has been extended by two months ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12