Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Verizon Wireless in Aruba

Verizon Wireless in Aruba

My daughter, SIL and grandson are coming to Aruba with us for one week next Sunday.

She tells me Verizon charges $10/day for her to use her phone. Does she have to deal with Setar or whoever as well?

I believe the answer is "no". You will automatically connect upon landing. All billing through Verizon. Verizon is the only one who can tell you with 100% certainty.
    Please contact via e-mail at arubarennowner@gmail.com

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    Andy, I checked that out. It's $10 a day if you use it that day plus the cost per minute, which I forget how much. If she doesn't turn the phone on for two days or whatever, they don't get charged the $10. You are only charged on the days you use it. But I am sure they charge you per minute, though. It's reAlly for emergencies. When I get closer to the time, I'll call verizon.

Senior Member Liz - Aruba Lover's Avatar
    http://www.verizonwireless.com/landi...ass-countries/

From a poster on another forum

First thing. VERY IMPORTANT!!!!! Do NOT go to the website. Pick up the phone and call 611. Get on with a LIVE person.

Ask about International Plans. They will mention several and I believe for $60 or 70 they have a 250 minute plan.

So pick what you want then you want them THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT!!!! have them walk you through step by step how to set up your phone. They had me go on to my Settings and turn on and off any number of apps and things.

I called Verizon a week before and picked the plan and went over the basics. The Sunday before I left I called back reminded them and had them "live" set up my phone.

Got home called them and they helped me reset my phone.

Worked like a charm.

My wife also did the same thing with her phone.

I'm trying to convince her to use WhatsApp and local free WiFi.

I was just reading on the Verizon website and it looks like the $10/day is a new plan that lets you take your current plan with you internationally. It seems to be more affordable than the old plan, but I agree you should call and speak to a live person. I was not aware of this plan when we traveled over Thanksgiving. The used to have plans where they charge per minute and separately for data and data was ridiculously expensive. Definitely use wifi as much as possible but this new option from Verizon does look like it could be a good deal. I think a lot of older threads about Verizon pricing may not give you the best information since this is a new plan that I haven't seen before.

Note, Aruba is listed as one of the 65 countries. From the website: http://www.verizonwireless.com/landi...tional-travel/

Daily International Travel Pricing

TravelPass SM

Now your wireless plan travels just like you do. For just $2 a day per line in Mexico and Canada, and $10 a day per line in more than 65 countries you can take your domestic Talk, Text and Data allowances with you. You’re only charged on the days you use your device abroad. It's an economical way to stay connected while you travel.
    Last edited by Traceyd14; 01-17-2016 at 08:09 PM.
    Not sure when, but we will be back

Senior Member Liz - Aruba Lover's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyM View Post
    I'm trying to convince her to use WhatsApp and local free WiFi.
    From home in the U.S. I communicate with Aruba friends with WhatsApp . Even though I have Verizon I don't use it in Aruba. I call home free with Magic Jack on my iphone or ipad with Magic Jack on wi-fi.

One question I would ask is about the "per line, per day". We have 4 lines on our plan, if we only use one phone I wonder if we would be charged $10 or $40? That might be worth asking.

This is another good link from the Verizon website.
    http://www.verizonwireless.com/news/...t-simpler.html

Here's a note:
    Before traveling abroad, you should enable International Services on your account to ensure your plan is configured to make and receive calls while overseas. There is no charge to add International Services to your account.
    *Taxes and fees apply; 4G world phone required

TravelPass Eligible Domestic Plans
    Verizon Plan
    More Everything
    Small Business Plans
    Standard Flexible Business Plans
    Former More Everything Data Only
    More Everything Loyalty
    Single Line 1GB & 2GB
    Last edited by Traceyd14; 01-17-2016 at 08:12 PM. Reason: added eligible plans
    Not sure when, but we will be back

Since we go, on average, twice per year, we purchased a basic phone from Digicel and load it with minutes using a "top up card" you can purchase most anywhere. We have had the same number for years, and it is very convenient for both making and receiving calls, both local and international.
    WiFi for internet, messaging, texting.
    Cost of the phone....about $40.
    Please contact via e-mail at arubarennowner@gmail.com

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    Thanks Tracey, that's what I saw. The ten dollars a day I think is per #. I am definitely going to call them when it gets closer. We have texting on the iPad & email. I just want the phone for emergencies. I can rent a phone there for two weeks for $90 but I don't need it. If I use the phone twice, that's a lot. It's much cheaper. I'll post after I speak to a live person.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast