Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Veteran's Day

Veteran's Day

I good friend of mine is not in work today, he is paying tribute to his Dad, who he never met. His father was lost at sea in WW II, there is no grave site.

Just wanted to post a thanks for his sacrifice, a thanks to my late Dad who was on the beach in Normandy early on the morning on D-Day, and a thanks to all who have made the ultimate sacrifice, have served, and who serve today.

The world can be a dangerous place, thanks to those who try to keep us safe.
    Please contact via e-mail at arubarennowner@gmail.com

Aruba since 1979
    well said rob o
    thank you to our veterans!
    2 words to keep in mind "veterans" and "freedom"
    without our veterans we'd have no freedom.
    andrea

Quote Originally Posted by rob o View Post
    I good friend of mine is not in work today, he is paying tribute to his Dad, who he never met. His father was lost at sea in WW II, there is no grave site.

Just wanted to post a thanks for his sacrifice, a thanks to my late Dad who was on the beach in Normandy early on the morning on D-Day, and a thanks to all who have made the ultimate sacrifice, have served, and who serve today.

The world can be a dangerous place, thanks to those who try to keep us safe.

"To us in America, the reflections of Armistice Day will be filled with solemn pride in the heroism of those who died in the country’s service and with gratitude for the victory, both because of the thing from which it has freed us and because of the opportunity it has given America to show her sympathy with peace and justice in the councils of the nations…"-- Woodrow Wilson November 1919

God bless the veterans and God bless the USA.

Aruba since 1979

question

does a person that served in the military/armed forces become a veteran after they are discharged (honorably) or retire?
    or

does the person have to have been in a war to receive veteran status?
    or
    what about a person that has served 4 yrs but never saw "action"..............is that person a veteran? (i would certainly hope so)

or
    for example, my son who is an ensign in the naval reserve merchant marine division..........who has to serve 2 weeks a year for 6 years (unless called up ) will he be considered a veteran after his 6 yr committment is over?

my ignorance is not bliss.

there was a nice veterans day parade here in waterville and there was a good sized turn out.....................even with the snow flurries

what are the guidelines for being a veteran ?

andrea

This is what a veteran is to me:

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his/her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including my life."-- author unknown

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/benefits/a/vetbenefits.htm
    "...there is no standardized legal definition of "military veteran" in the United States. You see, veteran benefits weren't created all at one time. They've been added one-by-one for over 200 years by Congress. Each time Congress passed a new law authorizing and creating a new veteran benefit, they included eligibility requirements for that particular benefit. ..."

Aruba since 1979
    thanks

Arrow

This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave.~ Elmer Davis

God bless our heroes who protect us each and every day.

Aruba since 1979
    thank you to the VETERANS of the US Armed Services.

pool side with my kindle in one hand and a Malibu + pineapple in the other :O)
    Well said indeed.

Courage is almost a contradiction in terms. It means a strong desire to live taking the form of readiness to die. ~G.K. Chesterton

God Bless those who serve (and have served) and their families!

My dad was a gunner in WWII, they called him in the office to tell him his little sister past away. His plane was suppose to go up that day but they told him not to go. Later that day the plane was shot down and all were killed. He at that point decided he was never going up again and was going to be the cook!! He turned 96 this past Aug. and is still cooking ;~}
    Happy Veterans Day

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast