Aruba Beach

Thread: What about a Cruise for next year?

Eagle Beach, exploring the "Outback", Madi's tour to the Natural Pool , dinner at Papiamento's

What about a Cruise for next year?

Time to start thinking about what to do/where to go next Spring! Do we go back to Aruba, or try something entirely different? (this year we went to St Maarten - great time!)

Wondering if a cruise would be fun? Dh and I have never been on a Caribbean cruise, but our Australian cousins ( come over ever year and we take a two-week trip together) go on about 4 a year all over the world!) We could find one out of Lauderdale or Miami, or fly to Puerto Rico, spend a few days (loved it there) and go from there!

Or, Maybe there's another island not too hard to get from Boston? So many choices!!!!

Another idea -- fly to the Bahamas (Abacos?) and charter a boat for a couple of weeks?
    Last edited by Windy; 06-08-2011 at 10:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Windy View Post
    Time to start thinking about what to do/where to go next Spring! Do we go back to Aruba, or try something entirely different? (this year we went to St Maarten - great time!)

Wondering if a cruise would be fun? Dh and I have never been on a Caribbean cruise, but our Australian cousins ( come over ever year and we take a two-week trip together) go on about 4 a year all over the world!) We could find one out of Lauderdale or Miami, or fly to Puerto Rico, spend a few days (loved it there) and go from there!

Or, Maybe there's another island not too hard to get from Boston? So many choices!!!!

Another idea -- fly to the Bahamas (Abacos?) and charter a boat for a couple of weeks?
    We did a Western Caribbean cruise a few years ago and it was lots of fun. It's very different than a beach vacation in Aruba or St. Maarten but it's a great time when you're with other people. We left from Miami on Royal Caribbean and went to Jamaica, Cayman Islands and Cozumel. Warning...you will gain about 10 pounds by the end of the week

Anywhere I can feel the sun and the nice aruban breeze!
    Hello Windy,

A cruise is a lot of fun. I personnaly prefer them to land vacations since I am able to see different places without always being in my suitcases. On a specific cruise I did in fall 2009, I visited 11 islands during a 2 weeks cruise that departed from Barbados. You can go on a small ship or a mega big one like the Oasis of the Seas. The problem with those big ship is that they can not go to every islands.

You can also go on a tall sail boat or do a luxury cruise on a smaller ship. Those cruises can visit islands that are not visited often because of their small port, they also sometimes offer a 2 days stay in one specific place.

What itinerary would you like to do? Are there specific islands you really want to see? What kind of traveller are you? Do you prefer to sit and relax in a lounge chair, see and discover as much as you can or party and dance the night away?

There are cruises from all price range that leave from the US, San Juan, Barbados and St-Marteen. Some leave from Venezuela, Guadeloupe or Martinique but these ports are not very popular and those cruises are more pricy. Also, there are direct flights from Boston to San Juan, Barbados and St-Maarten.

By the way, gaining weight is a big risk on a cruise but with all the stairs you can use and the walking you can do both on the ship and at the ports of call, you can minimize the gain. There are also well equiped health centers were you can go to for a good workout on the not so nice sea days. On the bright, sunny sea days, there are activities that are organized, like dancing classes on the Sun Deck or pool volley ball. Actually, Royal Caribbean will appeal to the active clientele with their rock climbing walls for example. There is also a sport deck were you can organize a basketball game with friends for example. Cruise ship are a great place to relax or spend all your energy depending on what you prefer to do. On my two weeks cruise, my stateroom was on the lowest deck, I was always in the stairs and only gained 3 pounds.

Hope this helps.

Windy - I love to cruise and although very different from a land vacation in Aruba, wonderful in a different way. I've been on a couple of different cruise lines but prefer Royal Caribbean. Last year I was on the Oasis of the Seas and loved every second of it.

Boca Catalina, Arashi Beach Manchebo Beach, Eagle Beach
    Hi Windy, I've been on nine cruises and really enjoy them. If you are thinking of going to the Caribbean, my suggestion is Celebrity. They are more laid back than some of the others, but still have plenty to do. The service is always outstanding on Celebrity. If you are a non-smoker, as we are, you will appreciate that there is no smoking allowed anywhere inside the ship or on the balconies. There are a couple designated smoking areas outside. This is a big plus over most cruise lines. Our favorite is Celebrity Solstice. All of the Solstice class ships are amazing. Just don't expect that you are going to relax the whole time, because there is so much to do that you will keep busy. I also like Princess and Royal Caribbean, although Royal Caribbean is more upbeat with lots of kids and partying. I enjoy RC when my daughter and I are going for a girl's getaway, but with my hubby I prefer the quieter ones. I like cruising out of Ft. Lauderdale the most. We like to go in a day early and get on the ship before lunch. I've loved all of my cruises but one I took on NCL, where we had very poor service. My most favorite cruise ever was to Alaska.

Anywhere I can feel the sun and the nice aruban breeze!
    I was on Celebrity for my last cruise and I too really enjoyed it. Each evening, you have the next day's journal so you can plan your day if you want. On the sea days, I was always very busy going from one interesting activity to the other. I chose to be so active, one can also choose to sit on a lounge chair with a great book or go for a relaxing massage.

Ask anyone, on a cruise ship, your wish is the crew's command and they'll give it to you with a smile

Eagle Beach, exploring the "Outback", Madi's tour to the Natural Pool , dinner at Papiamento's
    Thanks everybody! So many great suggestions!
    If we do a cruise, I would miss landing in one spot and making it "home" for a couple of weeks! But, it's a great way to discover other places for future vacations! Still on the fence!