Aruba Beach
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: What we do or did for a living

Before I went on my Thanksgiving trip; I said that I would recap the many jobs I had over the years. I thought better of listing them all...The "Arby's Breakfast Club," tells me that so far I had 101 jobs; with a recollection of another each day we meet.

Don't panic! I have no intention of putting them all down; rather, I will just say, that as a youngster; I delivered newspapers; shined shoes; worked in an art department...as a file clerk...for a major newspaper; and was a "Soda Jerk" oops, I meant a Soda fountain clerk," at a drug store in D.C.

Now, to tell how a 9th grade dropout; became a Secretary, and, then a Court Reporter; I do have to explain more fully.

I dropped out of school in the 9th grade. I enlisted in the Naval Reserves at 16 or was it 17th...and enlisted in the Air Force in 1949. I went to Warehousing School; graduated; and spent 4 years in the Air Force; discharged as a Staff Sergeant at 21;. I did a couple of jobs and decided to go back to school under the G.I. Bill. I did my "adult high school," in 16 months; and then was advised...after testing...to go to Business College for a secretarial course...millions of girls and me...well, not a million, but a lot. I got a job as a secretary to the Freight Traffic Manager of the Atlantic Coast Line Railroad; changed jobs and joined a stenographic pool of men; and took dictation and typed huge drafts to be presented to the ICC. The stenographic pool was for the Southern Railroad. We took dictation for days at a time from 5 freight traffic managers; often all day long for one; and then another.

I left and became a secretary for the Chief of Finance for the Interstate Commerce Commision Commission in D.C.

I was offered additional school through vocational rehabilitation under the "Disabled Veterans Act," and took a couple years at a "Stenotype Institute for Court Reporting" and went to work as a note a note reader for a reporting agency. I changed to another agency and became a "Court Reporter," taking primarily Coroner's Inquests at the D.C. Morgue; and, additional hearings for the D.C. Commissioners; Welfare Department; FCC, and other District and Federal Agencies. After a couple years, i quit and went to work for the Federal Government as the Secretary to the Public Information Officer of the Maritime Administration. I was offered a job and promotion at the Interior Department, and became a secretary for an Associate Solicitor In the Solicitor's Office. I got another job offer there in a defferent office with a promotion and ended up being a "Legal Assistant/Stenographer" for five Administrative judges. I retired in 1994 from the Department of the Interior ...having 37-1/2 years of Federal Service...including my military service.

I broke my promise that I would not give you a long list of jobs I had over the years; but, on the other hand, you are lucky that I did not list the 101 that I had...of course, I did not have 101; just kidding.

Note: I learned and used both "Greg Shorthand," and, of course, stenotype.

Ed
    Last edited by Edronenburg; 11-30-2010 at 12:00 PM. Reason: Added a note

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    Wow, Greg shorthand is hard. stenotype is much easier --well, to us it is. I passed the national test way way in the beginning, 1975, so i could work anywhere in the country (it gave a passport to each state's test without taking it, exception of course was california) so i was certified at 280 words a minute. I retired at 45 with a pension & medical. I knew they were going to change the rules working for the state so I got out while the going was good. Its been 10 years and I've never regretted a moment of retirement. but then who would?? lol.....

Many stories and a very diverse group we all are and thank you Ed for your many many years of public service. If walls could talk...

Quote Originally Posted by gaby View Post
    Wow, Greg shorthand is hard. stenotype is much easier --well, to us it is. I passed the national test way way in the beginning, 1975, so i could work anywhere in the country (it gave a passport to each state's test without taking it, exception of course was california) so i was certified at 280 words a minute. I retired at 45 with a pension & medical. I knew they were going to change the rules working for the state so I got out while the going was good. Its been 10 years and I've never regretted a moment of retirement. but then who would?? lol.....
    Congratulations on passing the "National Test." I am sure that you do not nor did you regret all the experiences that came with Reporting. I, wish you all the best in retirement. Keep healthy and happy.

Ed

Thanks, Lisa, for your kind comments. You are right, though, "If walls could talk."

Ed

Aruba since 1979
    LOVED reading ed's sort of resume'!

:-)

Since 1980, and throughout the many changes, we still love going downtown in Oranjestad.
    Hi everyone,

What a great thread! One of the best I've seen in a long time.

Me? I'm a 57 year old accountant here in Winnipeg, Canada. I've been an an accountant for the last 30 years, the past 10 with the Department of Indian and Northern Affairs. (A department of the Government of Canada). I'll be 58 at the end of December, and eligible for retirement in 2012. I'll get back to you on that.

About 5 years ago I also became a Marriage Commissioner for the Province of Manitoba. In short, I marry people. Not everyone can or chooses to get married in a house of worship. It doesn't interfere with my day job, it's fun, and I can make a few extra dollars. Once I retire from the government, I'll probably do more weddings.

One thing about being a Marriage Commissioner, you get to see what works and what doesn't , and you get to see a side of people you might not otherwise see. Weddings are happy occassions, and everyone is so pleased to be there, right? Not always. I officiated at a wedding back in February. Most people there were all smiles but the groom's stepmother looked like she'd rather be at the dentist!

Retirement again. I'm eligible to retire on December 31, 2012. According to Nostradamus and a few others, the world is supposed to end on December 21, 2012. So it's either the end of my career or the end of the world, whichever comes first.

Yes, we a wonderfully diverse group, but with a common interst, Aruba!

Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by Mile High Sue View Post
    Five years ago a friend and I opened a Scrapbook Retreat business (Chocolate Moose Lodge) in the mountains of Fairplay, CO. and I now run that business from home.
    Sue is too modest and did not include the website, with PHOTOS of their beautiful home http://www.chocolatemooselodge.com

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Retirement again. I'm eligible to retire on December 31, 2012. According to Nostradamus and a few others, the world is supposed to end on December 21, 2012. So it's either the end of my career or the end of the world, whichever comes first.
    Glenn
    I swear Glenn, you always have your pulse on the issues! If I were you though I would begin planning that Aruba trip for January 2013.

Smile What we did

I retired from the Newark, NJ Police Dept. in 1989. Then took a job with the State of NJ Public Defenders Office after being retired for all of two days. Stayed in that job until October 2006 when I finally fully retired.
    Wife retired from The Sparta (NJ) Board of Ed in Feb. 2006, where she was a Special Ed Teacher at the Middle School.
    Now we enjoy our retirement travelling to various locations, Aruba being one of them, on the average of 12 weeks a year. Life is great.

Aruba since 1979
    i bet you have some great or at the least intersting stories rich

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast