Aruba Beach
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: What we do or did for a living

On a lounge chair..In a hut..Somewhere on the beach..
    It has been nice to read what everyone does. I can't say it enough, I am so happy to have stumbled upon this forum!
    I own a printing company in New Jersey. We do all sorts of printing but my specialty is wedding invitations. The company was my dad's, he opened it in 1980 so it has been around for 30 years! I worked there following him since I was 17. Sadly, he passed away in 2007 and the business was left to me. I love what I do, and I really think I work even harder knowing it would make my dad proud.
    It does get stressful dealing with "bridezillas" but thats what my Aruba vacations are for. To relax and rejuvenate!!

Aruba since 1979
    we are happy you stumbled upon us too.
    i am sure your dad is proud!

Eagle Beach, exploring the "Outback", Madi's tour to the Natural Pool , dinner at Papiamento's
    Okay, here goes! Got a BS in Early Childhood Ed but burned out after 4 years of teaching for Head Start!
    Sold our house, put furniture in storage, and dh and I (and dog and cat!) bought a 30' sailboat and took off from Woods Hole, ending up in Stuart, Florida, spent the winter working -- he did commercial fishing, I gutted fish in the family's fish house! Then we got ready to sail to the Bahamas, someone made us a ridiculous offer on the boat, which we took!, drove an old van home and bought another sailboat, bigger!
    After a few months of restoration, we sailed down the Waterway again the next Fall , worked for the same fishing family, then spent the Summer sailing around exploring the Out Islands of the Bahamas -- mostly the Exumas. Quite an adventure, and there were pirates and drug dealers to avoid back in those days!
    While we were there found out #1 daughter was in the works! So, we sailed home, sold the boat......... end of an era.
    Stayed home with the girls til they were in HS. Was a "horse show Mum" for many years, traveling and trailering all over New England, finals in VA, Harrisburg. Very fun time of my life!
    Since then I've tried to have interesting "fun" jobs that I don't have to take home with me! Sec. in a real estate office, then assistant to the owner of the company (loved home inspections, taking pictures, entering listings into MLS).
    Now I work in two clothing stores (yup, like putting a drunk behind the bar, but over the yrs I've become more disciplined!) Great bosses, mostly great customers.
    Dear Husband is a Boatman! He captained 50' research boats out of Woods Hole, ran a boatyard in Falmouth , now is head captain for a small family company that does day fishing charters in the Summer, ferry and hand freight service to Martha's Vineyard in the Winter. Twice a week he has to take newspapers over at 3 am, no matter what the weather!
    We now have our younger daughter and her two little girls (3 and 6) living with us -- it's been two years -- but that's a whole new subject!!!!!!
    Last edited by Windy; 01-01-2011 at 09:42 AM.

Aruba since 1979
    WOW cool story.
    Quote Originally Posted by Windy View Post
    Okay, here goes! Got a BS in Early Childhood Ed but burned out after 4 years of teaching for Head Start!
    Sold our house, put furniture in storage, and dh and I (and dog and cat!) bought a 30' sailboat and took off from Woods Hole, ending up in Stuart, Florida, spent the winter working -- he did commercial fishing, I gutted fish in the family's fish house! Then we got ready to sail to the Bahamas, someone made us a ridiculous offer on the boat, which we took!, drove an old van home and bought another sailboat, bigger!
    After a few months of restoration, we sailed down the Waterway again the next Fall , worked for the same fishing family, then spent the Summer sailing around exploring the Out Islands of the Bahamas -- mostly the Exumas. Quite an adventure, and there were pirates and drug dealers to avoid back in those days!
    While we were there found out #1 daughter was in the works! So, we sailed home, sold the boat......... end of an era.
    Stayed home with the girls til they were in HS. Was a "horse show Mum" for many years, traveling and trailering all over New England, finals in VA, Harrisburg. Very fun time of my life!
    Since then I've tried to have interesting "fun" jobs that I don't have to take home with me! Sec. in a real estate office, then assistant to the owner of the company (loved home inspections, taking pictures, entering listings into MLS).
    Now I work in two clothing stores (yup, like putting a drunk behind the bar, but over the yrs I've become more disciplined!) Great bosses, mostly great customers.
    Dear Husband is a Boatman! He captained 50' research boats out of Woods Hole, ran a boatyard in Falmouth , now is head captain for a company that does day fishing charters in the Summer, ferry and hand freight service to Martha's Vineyard in the Winter. Twice a week he has to take newspapers over at 3 am, no matter what the weather!
    We now have our younger daughter and her two little girls (3 and 6) living with us -- it's been two years -- but that's a whole new subject!!!!!!

I just retired This week and my first adventure is going to be a six week getaway to Aruba . Can't wait to get there and detox.

Aruba since 1979
    congratulations on your retirement cosmo!
    enjoy your detox in aruba.
    well deserved i am sure.

Eagle Beach, exploring the "Outback", Madi's tour to the Natural Pool , dinner at Papiamento's
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
    I just retired This week and my first adventure is going to be a six week getaway to Aruba . Can't wait to get there and detox.
    Awesome plan! Congratulations!!!

Thank you it is very well deserved

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
    Thank you it is very well deserved
    Congratulations and enjoy!

born in London, grew up in South Africa, moved to the USA in 1992, married a Canadian, my brother and parents now live in Australia! We, wife and our two boys 11 and 13 live in Boston, not going anywhere else soon. Work to dive and travel, I'm a radiologist but my passion is SCUBA, up here in the Northeast but the warmer tropical waters are definitely superior. First trip coming up to Aruba with the family in February, can't wait, two dives already booked with Clive at Divearuba

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast