Aruba Beach
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: What we do or did for a living

I Swing by the seat of my pajamas mostly

Okay here goes.

Iím a NYĎer born and raised. Iím a rolling stone (Gypsy at heart). The longest Iíve ever held a job is probably (almost) 2 yrs. ( Iíve never been fired) Iíll just get itchy feet resign and move on. My parents keep telling me that a rolling stone gather no mossÖlol. I guess Iíve just never had a job that I didnít get bored of.

List of places Iíve worked it too longÖlol. So I will just say that Iíve done just about every thing, from being a Paralegal at MTA NYC Transit in the Law (compensation) Department. To being an ambulette driver for TransCare. From being a CDL driver for Coach USA to working retail in the souvenir shops at Yankee Stadium. From working as a team member at Target Corporation to working as a food Prep at Radio City. From working as a dispatcher at Maggieís Para Transit to working as a School bus driver for Atlantic Express. From working as a clerk at MTA NYC Transit for their Electrical Coordination Program to working as a Real Estate Agent. From being a Manager at a small family owned Vending Machine Business to being the supervisor at a wholesale beverage warehouse (another family owned business) and the list goes on and on and onÖlol.

The keywords to every job Iíve had is ďSocial Networkingď. Itís not what you know. Itís who you know, and who they know.

(I leave for Aruba Feb. 14, 2011. This will be my 1st time on the island. I will be there one month.)

Aruba since 1979
    slanderz, i am exhausted in reading your list ;-)
    how do you do a resume' on 1 sheet of paper?
    you have worn many hats! good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    slanderz, i am exhausted in reading your list ;-)
    how do you do a resume' on 1 sheet of paper?
    you have worn many hats! good for you.
    Lol. Many hats indeed Andrea. I do try to keep my resume on 1 page. I just get all the experience that is relevant to the job that I am seeking. Nail them on one page ( what fit's goes). That with a folder full of recommendations and references always seem to do the trick lol.
    Last edited by Slanderz; 02-12-2011 at 02:42 PM.

Good Day to all.. Im actually an accountant for a pretty big firm down on the islands. Aruba and Curacao are actually under my belt. I cant complain about this job cuase i get to spend most of my time in Aruba.

So glad to be a part of this forum!!...

Aruba since 1979
    do you ever need anyone to carry your briefcase?
    Quote Originally Posted by V.Jones View Post
    Good Day to all.. Im actually an accountant for a pretty big firm down on the islands. Aruba and Curacao are actually under my belt. I cant complain about this job cuase i get to spend most of my time in Aruba.

So glad to be a part of this forum!!...

finance my own automobiles, for customers who are credit challenged, for the past 30 years,
    started young, turn 52 in november. i'm sure that others's in retail realize the long hour's and not many day's off. besides vacation i work 7 day's a week.
    that's why we travel to aruba every 2 months..........
    nice trade off!!!!!!!!!!

I know I am late to the party, but just saw this thread.
    Andrea, I was a lifeguard all through high school and college at both indoor and outdoor facilities...many fond memories.
    Now I am working for a public water/wastewater utility. I started at the bottom, customer service/cashier and have worked my way up into GIS Records Management. Basically I research plans to make sure our electronic maps are accurate. The GIS (geographic information system) is used by our field workers for repairs and our engineering department for planning purposes. My job is to make sure it is as accurate as possible.

My DH works for an electrical supply wholesaler. He does a little bit of a lot of things...shipping, receiving, routing deliveries, inventory control...and the list goes on.

So we have things covered in water and electricity!
    Last edited by Traceyd14; 11-24-2012 at 01:52 PM.
    Not sure when, but we will be back

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    I was a court reporter for 26 years, retired at age 45. I was a part time jewelry designer then but am a full time jewelry designer now.

Aruba since 1979
    update on my being miserable.

we moved to florida in early spring of 2010 and my misery is now joy. i am ecstatic! we love florida .
    the 55 and older golf community where we live is like
    "overnight camp with liquor"

seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    i'll start.....
    i was an aquatics director at a non profit youth recreation facility.
    swim coach, red cross water safety and cpr and first aid instructor, swim coach lifeguard, SCUBA instructor and pool operator.

began part time in high school 1971 and then work study thru college and then full time.

got my 35 yrs in and retired in june of 2008
    retirement............what was i thinking?

dear husband
    was the "plant planner" for a missile building/defense company.
    started there after college and worked his way from draftsman to purchasing to production planning.
    he reitired in july 2008 after 37 yrs.............he is enjoying retirement.

he retired from a "product"
    i retired from a "program with people"
    he is delirious
    i am miserable.

i personally know a lot of you and i am excited to hear you tell your story.
    who's next?

Eagle Beach, Baby Beach, Arashi Beach Tierra Del Sol golf course
    had a few jobs early. Cleaned the parking lot at the burger stand by our house each morning before school in 6th grade. Got $4 a week and free root beer and burgers. Bagged groceries all through high school. Worked as an electricians helper in college. Was an asst manager 2 yrs at TG&Y in Huntington beach, Ca. Was in the army from 1966-1969. Spent that time at Ft bliss Tx as an instructor at the missile school there after taking the class. The course was Nike/Hercules universal electronic missile & radar maintenance. Worked at the post office in tulsa for three years as a distribution clerk. Worst job I ever had. Hated going to work. Sold my first insurance policy in April of 1976 and my last one on March 31, 2011. Sold my business and retired.
    Wifey Linda is a CPA for a small oil company in Tulsa. She says she will not retire.

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast