Aruba Beach
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: What we do or did for a living

Aruba since 1979
    you've worn many hats too!!
    $4 a week and burgers and root beer.......now that was a job huh?!!
    Quote Originally Posted by arubabob View Post
    had a few jobs early. Cleaned the parking lot at the burger stand by our house each morning before school in 6th grade. Got $4 a week and free root beer and burgers. Bagged groceries all through high school. Worked as an electricians helper in college. Was an asst manager 2 yrs at TG&Y in Huntington beach, Ca. Was in the army from 1966-1969. Spent that time at Ft bliss Tx as an instructor at the missile school there after taking the class. The course was Nike/Hercules universal electronic missile & radar maintenance. Worked at the post office in tulsa for three years as a distribution clerk. Worst job I ever had. Hated going to work. Sold my first insurance policy in April of 1976 and my last one on March 31, 2011. Sold my business and retired.
    Wifey Linda is a CPA for a small oil company in Tulsa. She says she will not retire.

Eagle Beach, Baby Beach, Arashi Beach Tierra Del Sol golf course
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    you've worn many hats too!!
    $4 a week and burgers and root beer.......now that was a job huh?!!
    May have been the best job I ever had. I walked to school every morning and the burger stand was on the highway less than a block from our home and I walked through the parking lot on my way to school anyway. It was called Dugans burgers. It was a drive up burger stand that you could park all the way around. There wasnt a lot of trash and it only took me about 15 minutes to pick it all up and put in the trash barrell. It was like a treasure hunt every day because I was always finding a few pennys, nickles and dimes in the gravel. Even a few quarters now and then. This was big money in 1955.

Still working unfortunately, but have had a bunch of different jobs. During high school, worked as hostess at area restaurant. Started out full time working for an insurance company as a clerk typist and moved "up" to receptionist, left to work at a computer company back in the day that they were a small business, got laid off from there when they were bought by a bigger computer company and moved to central mass with then boyfriend who turned into husband. Worked for a small daily newspaper, which was sold to a bigger newspaper. My boss bought his own newspaper and I left with him until I had son #1. Started part time jobs doing payroll for a construction company, worked customer service for cable company - no one ever calls to say their picture looks good, ( son #2 born) receptionist for for 4 rink hockey complex, until 9 year stint with health club group. They were sold and I landed in current job in Admissions for a boarding school for middle school age boys - keeps me young - ha. Got divorced 5 years ago and now dating handsome guy in picture with me, who I actually worked with and dated while at first real job at insurance company more years ago than I am going to admit!!! He still works there. We are anxiously waiting for day we can retire!!!

Worked in high school as a mate on a deep sea fishing boat and one week after graduation was in boot camp in the U.S. Coast Guard for a four year hitch where I met my lovely wife Diane who was going to nursing school, Well over the years that four year hitch turned into twenty nine years of active duty serice retiring from the Coast Guard in 2007. Most of the tours were in MA but we did have the opportunity to live on Kodiak Island, AK for three years and did vacation in HI while there. I shortly went back to work in the Coast Guard as a civilian and enjoy my job very much as Diane is now a VA nurse. Life is good and looking forward to a real retirement in the next 10-12 years. I also forgot to mention I also own and operate a charter fishing boat out of MA fishing offshore for tuna, cod, haddock and striped bass. We meet many interesting clients from all over the country and enjoy watching folks catch fish. I have no regrets about my career paths at all and feel blessed each day that I have my family, friends and a good job.

Respectfully,

Dave

Aruba since 1979
    i am glad that this thread resurfaced!

Mangel Halto for snorkeling, Palm and Arashi for beach time.
    I'm a journalist, currently the Opinion editor at my newspaper, the biggest one in my state (Parana, Brazil). I organize editorials (and write a good deal of them), op-eds, readers' letters (or e-mails) and columns, and have lots of meetings every week, despite Lucy Kellaway's warning about how meetings damage our brain

But very few journalists can have a happy life as editors without writing something by themselves instead of just looking at other people's texts all the time. So I have a blog on science and religion and occasionally write features for our Tourism pages (like the one I recently published on Aruba).

Before being an Opinion editor, I worked at the same newspaper as local news reporter, local news assistant editor, students' pages editor, economy assistant editor and economy editor. And, before moving from Sao Paulo to Curitiba, I worked as a movie critic for 3 years.

My wife graduated in Management and is currently looking for a job -- she had to quit hers because we lived in different cities before getting married.

All the best from Brazil

Marcio

My first job was a clerk in a dry cleaners then a waitress at Pizza Hut. After that I worked for a gas station/body shop. Left there and worked in my brother-in-laws Mexican restaurant until I took a seasonal job with the IRS. I got a call from another federal agency after taking the civil service test and have worked there for the past 25 years working my way up from data entry clerk to a Program Manager. I will have 38.5 years in when I am first eligible to retire but my plan is to hit Powerball tomorrow and accelerate my exit plan.

Aruba since 1979
    i hope to win the powerball too.
    if in fact the jackpot is $500,000,000........i hope that there are 500 winners.good luck to us all
    Quote Originally Posted by AhhAruba View Post
    My first job was a clerk in a dry cleaners then a waitress at Pizza Hut. After that I worked for a gas station/body shop. Left there and worked in my brother-in-laws Mexican restaurant until I took a seasonal job with the IRS. I got a call from another federal agency after taking the civil service test and have worked there for the past 25 years working my way up from data entry clerk to a Program Manager. I will have 38.5 years in when I am first eligible to retire but my plan is to hit Powerball tomorrow and accelerate my exit plan.

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314