Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 138
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: What we do or did for a living

  1. #11
    Aruba since 1979
    Moderator
    Andrea J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    29,929
    we are very diverse huh?

  2. #12
    Senior Member cindyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    Posts
    5,699
    Me...former buyer in retail....
    Jordan Marsh comp. in Boston, traveled the world buying Crystal & Silver....Ireland, Germany, Italy, Sweden,Yugoslovia and other countries...all many times...for 27 stores...
    Also worked for Filenes in Boston as a buyer for a few years in the Home Store...bought bath shop, towels, etc...20 stores..
    LOVED spending others $$$$$
    This was all before I became a stay at home mom...great job, no pay...wouldn't change a thing...
    Now...teach sewing at Joann fabrics...my passion !
    Rob will tell his own story

  3. #13
    Senior Member Bill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Any beach, party, bar or Casino!!!!!!
    Posts
    1,093
    Little as possible

  4. #14
    Aruba since 1979
    Moderator
    Andrea J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    29,929
    hahaha
    i had many lifeguards and instructors that worked for me that had the same job title/description.
    andrea

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Little as possible

  5. #15
    Senior Member rob o's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    2,793
    I think this thread is a creative idea and is fun to read, but I really hate to talk about work. That said, at CindyO’s urging (after 20+ years of marriage she’ll probably hear most of this stuff for the first time), here goes:
    I have practiced as a civil/environmental engineer since finishing grad school in 1977. Through 1986, I specialized in design of wastewater treatment plants, with projects in Germany, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Japan and Singapore, as well as Arizona, New York City, Long Island, New Hampshire, Connecticut and Massachusetts.
    From 1986 through 1997 I then worked on one project, the Boston Harbor Project, which involved design and construction of the largest wastewater facility ever in the US all at one time. $4,000,000,000 price tag. I was personally responsible for managing and coordinating a $1,000,000,000 (yup, a billion) chunk of that design, then followed up with construction management.
    Since 1997, I have continued to work on significant wastewater/civil projects, mostly projects controlling what is known as “combined sewer overflows”, discharges from a type of system characteristic of large, older communities.
    Done with work now…I am too boring….back to the fun!
    Please contact via e-mail at arubarennowner@gmail.com



  6. #16
    Senior Member Bill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Any beach, party, bar or Casino!!!!!!
    Posts
    1,093
    Quote Originally Posted by rob o View Post
    I think this thread is a creative idea and is fun to read, but I really hate to talk about work. That said, at CindyO’s urging (after 20+ years of marriage she’ll probably hear most of this stuff for the first time), here goes:
    I have practiced as a civil/environmental engineer since finishing grad school in 1977. Through 1986, I specialized in design of wastewater treatment plants, with projects in Germany, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Japan and Singapore, as well as Arizona, New York City, Long Island, New Hampshire, Connecticut and Massachusetts.
    From 1986 through 1997 I then worked on one project, the Boston Harbor Project, which involved design and construction of the largest wastewater facility ever in the US all at one time. $4,000,000,000 price tag. I was personally responsible for managing and coordinating a $1,000,000,000 (yup, a billion) chunk of that design, then followed up with construction management.
    Since 1997, I have continued to work on significant wastewater/civil projects, mostly projects controlling what is known as “combined sewer overflows”, discharges from a type of system characteristic of large, older communities.
    Done with work now…I am too boring….back to the fun!

    What a crappy job

  7. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,931
    I worked as a social worker in the Welfare department for six years and then opened my own business which I ran with the assistance of DH (who worked at his own profession) for many years. Then I stayed home and looked after my children, which I am still doing.

    My kids are older now with the second one off to University in the fall , but I do a lot of volunteer work and keep the "ship" together as DH travels for work and puts in ridiculous amounts of time at work even when he is at home.

    RobO, we could use your services here in my city. We have a major problem with the city sewer overflowing into the water and it needs a major overhaul. They are looking to spend big bucks to fix the problem but of course, they are just in the "talking" about it stage!!
    happiness is going to Aruba with your adult kids because they still want to come with their parents

  8. #18
    Senior Member rob o's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    2,793
    Quote Originally Posted by Randi View Post
    RobO, we could use your services here in my city. We have a major problem with the city sewer overflowing into the water and it needs a major overhaul. They are looking to spend big bucks to fix the problem but of course, they are just in the "talking" about it stage!!
    You're in my region.....ready, willing and able to serve!


    Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    What a crappy job
    I agree....but we always have customers!
    Please contact via e-mail at arubarennowner@gmail.com



  9. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,931
    Quote Originally Posted by rob o View Post
    You're in my region.....ready, willing and able to serve!
    You are in Boston...I am in Canada??
    happiness is going to Aruba with your adult kids because they still want to come with their parents

  10. #20
    Senior Member danadog56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    everywhere and anywhere
    Posts
    2,798
    Ok.....well started out with odd jobs while going to art school after graduation in '74, Aunt owned a coffee shop in the small steel town I grew up in and in-between quitng jobs I hated and getting another she would let me work to keep money in my pocket..then in '75 I started my "real" career in the medical field...first a nurses aide for a year, then went to surgical tech school, graduted and worked at that for a few years...met Dh and moved and goofed off again for a couple of years and then back to school to get RN...gratduated in 84, and worked as a nurse till 2000 when I took a job with an eye company as a technician...I go into OR and make sure our machines are working properly and that the OR staff knows how to work machine...love the job, work by self most of time but it is quiet and there is no conflicts like when I worked in OR...always bullcrap to deal with there..
    Dh has been a farmer all his life, like his father and grandfather before him...he did run a road crew for his uncle's construction company for about 15 years, but that was before I met him....he can't retire, it's in his blood and every year he says he is going to stop and every spring he starts doing farmer things again....
    best thing about that is ....free sweet corn.....every day !!!!!
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO