Aruba Beach
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: What we do or did for a living

Banned
    I was a room parent in my son's class from 2nd grade through 5th grade. Elementary school was definitely better for me the second time around. BTW it is amazing what the kids get away with these days. Discipline is all but gone now. The teachers hands are tied. I had to restrain myself from choking a few on several occasions. It was still a very rewarding experience.

Aruba since 1979
    arubalisa hails from jersey and wound up in GA by way of indiana.
    being a bit presumptious, i can say she misses jersey and probably misses indiana.

her thoughts of GA are the same as my thoughts of ME.

andrea

Quote Originally Posted by elizmed View Post
    If there's one thing I miss since living in GA, it's the Jersey shore. There's nothing like it. I lived in Woodbridge & in less than a 30 min drive, could be taking evening stroll on the Pt Pleasant broadwalk. Brings back lots of memories.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    arubalisa hails from jersey and wound up in GA by way of indiana.
    being a bit presumptious, i can say she misses jersey and probably misses indiana.

her thoughts of GA are the same as my thoughts of ME.

andrea
    Andrea knows me too well and is telling the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by elizmed View Post
    If there's one thing I miss since living in GA, it's the Jersey shore. There's nothing like it. I lived in Woodbridge & in less than a 30 min drive, could be taking evening stroll on the Pt Pleasant broadwalk. Brings back lots of memories.
    Having lived in Point Pleasant on the border of Point Pleasant Beach and working in Point Pleasant Beach I feel your pain nearly every day of the year.

What we do or did for a living-- "Jack of all trades, master of none!"
    • Began working as a waitress at age 16. Working as a waitress through college.
    • Left college full time to work in my parent's business in Point Pleasant Beach.
    • Continued college part time.
    • Parents sold their business and went to work as an EMT after having been a volunteer EMT for 7 years.
    • Back problems and a troubled marriage, went to work as a bookeeper at a gas station and sold travel part time.
    • At then end of my 19 month marriage, left bookeeping for a sales postion in retail specifically for the benefits.
    • Worked my way up the corporate ladder: assistant manager, merchandising manager, senior merchandising manager of the highest profit men's division in the NY metro area
    • Began web design as a hobby
    • Put in for a transfer to Indiana with my dh's job relo and turned down the offer because I did not want to commute 1 1/2+ in snow storms
    • Still kicking myself for turning down something which would have been a reward and I perceived as a snub, but we would not have our dd if I had accepted the position
    • Continued working in travel, lost my job and took on some commercial web clients while being a SAHM

I started working at a Meat Market, a mom and pop in my home town. Loved the patrons and the work, it was busy busy busy. kept going to college paying along the way.
    Ended up doing co-op in auto industry. got a job, not the degree i wanted though. Been a Lab Technician for 4 years.

My Future Wife (FW on Sept. 25(can't wait!!!!!)) has always been involved in Dentistry. In High School, where we met, she started being an intern @ a local Dentist. She went to a local community collage and got her Degree as a Registered Dental Hygienist. Very proud of her it was hard to get through the clinical.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Amen to that! Sounds like a familiar story
    Same here with the FW!!!!!!!!

Banned
    My wife is a dental hygienist too. Works just outside DC. It's nice having free dental.

Industrial Engineer by education and the first 12 years of my working career. Had been working in a fairly high stress position that was affecting my family life and health. Decided I needed to do something I could enjoy.

I took a job as an estimator with a company I had worked for as 'summerhelp' while a college student. After approx 9 months on the job the company president drafted me to be his cost analyst. He wanted someone that besides feeding him the numbers, could also full explain what the numbers meant. Was at first an odd fit as engineers tend to be logical thinkers and logic and accounting tend to not be compatible (GAAP). I've spent time with several of our sister companies and have been VP Finance and Controller for the past 9 years. Changing jobs/carrers was the best move (aside from meeting and marrying my life partner and best friend) I ever made. In the twilight of my career I am enjoying my job more than ever. Hence 'Life Is Good'
    Joe & Mimi

LIFE IS GOOD

Senior Member aruba here I come's Avatar

something to do....what do you do?

kinda board today, at work, just not feeling it. (having thought of blue waters, sunny skies, and beautiful sand) ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

What does everyone do for work?

Me I work for an overseas freight consolidator, NVOCC....
    right now in the rev mgt dept.(sort of accounting, yuck!) but before traffic ( i use to deside what loaded in the container, and paperwork to go with it.) pretty cool, miss doing that....

I'm in the legal field. Started my legal career as an assistant with a huge Hartford law firm. Worked there for 17 years, moved in-house for 8 years at an insurance company as executive assistant to the general counsel. For the past 5 years, I'm operations manager for a national law firm with an office in my state. When I was at the insurance company, one of the benes was tuition reimbursement, so at 40, went back to school and got a degree in Paralegal Studies.

Aruba since 1979
    nice to see this thread reappear.

thanks for finding it
    andrea

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast