Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: What would you do?

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Zeerovers, San Nicolaas, Malmok, Arashi
    Posts
    1,088

    What would you do?

    Our gardener of the past 2 years accompanied his extremely sick mother back from Aruba to Colombia for medical treatments that were not available in Aruba. That was in October.

    He was due to return at the end of November but did not and we heard nothing from him until last evening. It turns out that his suitcase was stolen. It contained his papers, visa, money, clothing etc. He has been in contact with the various government departments here in Aruba to have documents reissued so he can return. Here is the problem. All of this is costing him and he has no money.

    He asked if we would pay him his gardening fee 1 month in advance. I am not sure what to do. What would you do?.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Traceyd14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Under a palapa on Palm beach
    Posts
    3,496
    Tough choice. For me, it would depend on our relationship. If it was someone I considered a friend and had regular conversations with, I would consider a loan like this knowing that I could lose the money with nothing in return. As with any loan, I would only do it if I was okay with not getting it back from the person. For someone who I considered more of just a contracted employee relationship I would probably decline. I would hope they could request a loan from family or friends and pay them back once they are working again.
    Not sure when, but we will be back

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Zeerovers, San Nicolaas, Malmok, Arashi
    Posts
    1,088
    Quote Originally Posted by Traceyd14 View Post
    Tough choice. For me, it would depend on our relationship. If it was someone I considered a friend and had regular conversations with, I would consider a loan like this knowing that I could lose the money with nothing in return. As with any loan, I would only do it if I was okay with not getting it back from the person. For someone who I considered more of just a contracted employee relationship I would probably decline. I would hope they could request a loan from family or friends and pay them back once they are working again.
    OK...to clarify....his mother works as a cleaning lady here at the resorts. He has no father and supports his brother and sister (both younger than him) with the money he makes looking after people's gardens. He has proven trustworthy so far.

    Lasf Xmas we returned home one evening from dinner to find 2 gift wrapped presents for my wife and I. That in part is what makes this so dammed hard.
    Last edited by aquaman; 12-08-2015 at 10:38 AM.

  4. #4
    Senior Member cpjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Eagle Beach, Glitz Casino, Manchebo Beach Resort
    Posts
    3,894
    Agree with Tracey... depends on the past relationship and dependability. One big question for me.... Why would anyone carry important documents and money in a suitcase and not on their person....? Also.... would you be able to pay the government agencies directly..?

  5. #5
    Aruba since 1979
    Moderator
    Andrea J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    29,923
    i would do it. (jmo)

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Zeerovers, San Nicolaas, Malmok, Arashi
    Posts
    1,088
    Quote Originally Posted by cpjones View Post
    Agree with Tracey... depends on the past relationship and dependability. One big question for me.... Why would anyone carry important documents and money in a suitcase and not on their person....? Also.... would you be able to pay the government agencies directly..?
    i believe it was stolen from where he was staying in Colombia

  7. #7
    Senior Member cpjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Eagle Beach, Glitz Casino, Manchebo Beach Resort
    Posts
    3,894
    Quote Originally Posted by aquaman View Post
    OK...to clarify....his mother works as a cleaning lady here at the resorts. He has no father and supports his brother and sister (both younger than him) with the money he makes looking after people's gardens. He has proven trustworthy so far.

    Lasf Xmas we returned home one evening from dinner to find 2 gift wrapped presents for my wife and I. That in part is what makes this so dammed hard.
    Based on that...... I'd go with it........

  8. #8
    Senior Member Retagger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    501
    I would definitely do it as he has been trustworthy and reliable over the years.

  9. #9
    Super Moderator Jacki's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    5,860
    I would be the fool who would agree to the prepayment and get screwed in the end. Get it in writing, even by email should you choose to prepay
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

  10. #10
    Senior Member Pegmeister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    West Deck in the afternoon
    Posts
    3,676
    Tough call but I believe I would do it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO