Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: What would you do?

Thanks all. I haven't fully decided yet. I am leaning toward transferring 50% of the amount to his bank account here and giving him the balance when he arrives back. He can access his Aruba account while in Colombia

Quote Originally Posted by aquaman View Post
    Our gardener of the past 2 years accompanied his extremely sick mother back from Aruba to Colombia for medical treatments that were not available in Aruba. That was in October.

He was due to return at the end of November but did not and we heard nothing from him until last evening. It turns out that his suitcase was stolen. It contained his papers, visa, money, clothing etc. He has been in contact with the various government departments here in Aruba to have documents reissued so he can return. Here is the problem. All of this is costing him and he has no money.

He asked if we would pay him his gardening fee 1 month in advance. I am not sure what to do. What would you do?.
    I would look at this from multiple dimensions:

Is the amount of money significant? it's kind of like lending money - will you be crestfallen if the money disappears?

How will the money be sent? Doesn't he really just need his visa and passport to return to Aruba? I'd be inclined to pay for those directly to the government agencies if it was a "close" relationship. This would offset any sort of flight risk.

What's he been doing since October to try and get those things back and get back to Aruba? It seems like a long time to be without money or a way to get back. If he has a police report stating the items were stolen, I'm sure accommodations would be made by the Aruba government IF he's legitimately on the island.

There's NOBODY else that can help? Family, friends (Columbia and Aruba)? One of the last places I would turn for help is my employer.

But... I'm cynical.

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    YES! I would do it!

I would believe him that his mother needed surgery in Colombia. I know of one case where a woman who lives many years in Aruba had to go to Colombia for a complicated surgery, I believe her health insurance in Aruba would not cover the costs.

I would also believe him that his suitcase with all his important documents were stolen. Something similar happened to me many years ago. And a very sweet guy at the desk at the hotel were I was staying helped me to go to the Embassy that I was able to cross the border to get home. He also gave me $400 for a Traveller Check which he could NOT catch until I was back home to call him and give him the adequate number. He believed me and I honored his trust.

I would do it but at the same time would accept the fact that I might not see the money again.

Quote Originally Posted by act1966 View Post
    I would look at this from multiple dimensions:

Is the amount of money significant? it's kind of like lending money - will you be crestfallen if the money disappears?

How will the money be sent? Doesn't he really just need his visa and passport to return to Aruba? I'd be inclined to pay for those directly to the government agencies if it was a "close" relationship. This would offset any sort of flight risk.

What's he been doing since October to try and get those things back and get back to Aruba? It seems like a long time to be without money or a way to get back. If he has a police report stating the items were stolen, I'm sure accommodations would be made by the Aruba government IF he's legitimately on the island.

There's NOBODY else that can help? Family, friends (Columbia and Aruba)? One of the last places I would turn for help is my employer.

But... I'm cynical.
    hi

let me answer your good points

no the amount is not a lot for us. For him the amount is as it goes to food, rent etc.

i cannot pay the Aruban Govt directly. Silly regulations here

He went in October. His stuff was stolen a few days before his return was planned. He has a return air ticket that he paid for before leaving Aruba. I have seen his papers and he is here legitimately

He is young, maybe late 20's. I have met the mother and both brothers. He leaves our place in the mid afternoons to go and pick her up from were ever she is working and cleaning the resort. He takes her home, has his supper and often returns at night to water and to tend to the plants.

I suspect there is not much family here or in Colombia for them

john

Gosh, John, your last post is making ME want to send him money!
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Any update here? How is his mom doing?
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jacki View Post
    Any update here? How is his mom doing?
    No recent update. I understand Mom is doing OK and is now back in Aruba. He is still in Colombia. Cannot leave without his papers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12