Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: What are your holiday traditions?

What are your holiday traditions?

Just curious if anyone has a tradition they would like to share?

As for Jon and I we have a 3-sided large extended family and are blessed to have most of them close by. The struggle with that is trying to be more than one place at a time. Because of this, we have decided that every year the weekend before Thanksgiving, we have what we call the Calm Before the Storm dinner. I make us a nice dinner, usually with turkey and the traditional sides, and we watch football and just enjoy the day together, not leaving our house.

For Thanksgiving, we start at his sister's for a flag football game, then off to meet my mom's family for a lunchtime Thanksgiving dinner, then in the evening we end up at someone's house on my dad's side of the family. Then next weekend we travel few hours to have Thanksgiving with Jon's parents and siblings, then return home the same day. Between Thursday and Sunday we cover many miles.

Christmas will be interesting this year. This is our first holiday season since my grandmother passed away and my grandfather down-sized to an apartment. So for the first time in over 40 years, our family will not be having Christmas at their home. My mom will be out of town, so it will be my first Christmas without seeing her too. Somehow with all the chaos and change, my house got thrown out there as a good central location with room for everyone, so I will be hosting about 30 people for a pot luck Christmas dinner. I haven't even put up a tree the last few years, so I have a lot of work to do. I am secretly hoping this does NOT become a tradition, but I love spending time with family, so it will be worth it. And not only are we hosting this dinner, we will still be expected to visit my in-laws and my dad's family too (not all on the same day though). And somewhere I will have to find time to spoil my nephew who will be almost 9 months old - but that is my favorite part.
    Not sure when, but we will be back

Aruba since 1979
    Calm before the storm!
    Love it

it'll be hard without your grandmother.
    sounds like a fun time though.....30 of you for Christmas!

spoiling the baby.........now that's fun.

Our Thanksgiving will be quiet....we are having neighbors and friends here for dinner (including...forum member Sherryf and her dear hubby Murray).
    Paul and I are cooking the bird and all the fixings and others are bringing some sides and desserts.
    (Our son, daughter in law and grand baby who live in York, Maine will be having dinner with dil, grandparents in RI)

Christmas will not be very quiet. Our son and family will be here in Fla for a week over Christmas.
    It'll be wonderful having them here and enjoying our Grandson's first Christmas!.
    We'll cook steaks on the grill and have a Florida Christmas.

Your grandsons first Christmas will be a special one! Steaks on the grill sounds like a perfect dinner!
    We are hoping for one of those unseasonably warm Christmases so that some of the 30 can spill on to the deck. My mom is one of 5, all local and all with kids and now grandkids and spouses and even ex-spouses and friends who have stayed in the mix. Its always loud and fun.
    Last edited by Traceyd14; 11-23-2014 at 10:39 PM.

Our house is the lcation of choice for holiday celebrations in our families. Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter, all of the summer holidays, everyone comes here. It is hectic and frantic and right on the fuzzy edge of chaos. BUT.... when it's all over we can collapse on the couch and veg while others have to pack up and drive home. And since we never have to drive anywhere, we are able to enjoy a few adult beverages without the risk of holiday driving. Some gatherings are large with maybe 20 or so people, some are smaller more intimate gatherings, all are magic and produce wonderful memories. We have a new grandson joining us for his first Thanksgiving and Christmas also. I smoked a turkey breast yesterday and will roast a whole turkey Thursday. We will begin making sides on Wednesday. They are calling for wintry conditions on Wednesday/Thursday, but right now it's about 75 degrees. Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!

Not having to drive anywhere is definitely a huge benefit of hosting! Enjoy and happy Thanksgiving to you too.
    Similar weathere here, 70 something today and calling for snow on Wednesday...hope the weathermen are wrong!

My hubby, kids & I alternate between 2 aunts' houses for Thanksgiving - one on my father's side of the fam, the other my mom's side. This year is the one that is a 2.5 hour drive each way. Ugh. Not looking forward to driving the NJ Turnpike all that way, but I am totally looking forward to seeing the family

Christmas always starts out at my house with my parents & brother & his family for breakfast & gift exchanging then we move on to a friend's home, then to the Aunt who hosts Thanksgiving on my mom's side. Love going there as it's always warm and homey and the whole family gathers there. All the kids run around like lunatics and it's the best kind of chaos

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    I will be washing clothes, packing and waiting for that 6:30 in the morning pick up on Friday for Aruba!! We told everyone we were leaving on thanksgiving because we had a busy week at our store and I needed a day to do things. I didn't feel like driving an hour one way to go to my brother's so we're doing something together when we get back from Aruba.

Aruba since 1979
    smart plan gaby!!

safe and easy and fun travels.

all afternoon today............grilled veggies celery and carrots done, peas, squash, onions done, mashed potatoes done, walnut sausage stuffing done, green bean casserole to be done tomorrow and the bird will go in the oven at 2 am .
    never have i been this organized

pies.......our guests are bringing!!

wine chilling, cider too.

Quote Originally Posted by gaby View Post
    I will be washing clothes, packing and waiting for that 6:30 in the morning pick up on Friday for Aruba!! We told everyone we were leaving on thanksgiving because we had a busy week at our store and I needed a day to do things. I didn't feel like driving an hour one way to go to my brother's so we're doing something together when we get back from Aruba.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    smart plan gaby!!

safe and easy and fun travels.

all afternoon today............grilled veggies celery and carrots done, peas, squash, onions done, mashed potatoes done, walnut sausage stuffing done, green bean casserole to be done tomorrow and the bird will go in the oven at 2 am .
    never have i been this organized

pies.......our guests are bringing!!

wine chilling, cider too.
    Great job getting a jump on things Andrea!

I love coking Thanksgiving dinner. So much so that I cooked a full Thanksgiving dinner for myself one year when I was on my own after my divorce.

I have fond memories of family holidays at home when I was a child. I want to preserve that tradition. Now I have my wife and my two adult daughters and family with us each year and I relish the opportunity to bake pies and do all the traditional dishes that have been special for my family over the years.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast