Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: wildlife where we live

Aruba since 1979

wildlife where we live

wildlife where we live-1472053_10152083808009439_1564657006_n.jpg
    Some of you may already know that we live in florida (west central..20 mi from tampa)
    Today's Jurassic park adventure is.....mommy gator and her 17 babies outside my friend/neighbor and forum member sherryf 's living room window.

Suffice it to say ALL domesticated animals living here in our golf community stay INDOORS and when outdoors on a short leash

OMG that's crazy. Kinda cool though. I didn't know they had so many babies. The only thing we ever see are raccoons and the occasional possum hanging upside down in our dogwoods.

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    Momma gator and her babies are looking cute!

However, I could not imagine having them right outside our window! Would prefer to have some safe distance between the wildlife and the home life.

Aruba since 1979
    cute is not a word i would use to describe them. creepy and scary are words i use daily

when we first came here to "look" not buy.... a 12 foot gator named ralph was laying in the sun at the security gate. as we went thru the security gate, we thought to ourselves.........no way do we want to live here.
    but, a year later, we bought.
    we had stipulations......we did not want to live on a pond. instead we live across the street from the pond
    they travel, pond to pond and there are 60 ponds here in the community.
    our friends sherry and murray's house abuts the pond. they sit in their dining area and look out........it is just like national geographic.
    what creeps me out even more are the snakes.
    we have seen, dead and alive coral, diamondback rattlers, water moccasins and pygmie rattlers.
    i do love the owls though. we have a great horned owl that lives in a cypress tree in our backyard.
    he is quite noisy all night long.

i am not a huge fan of mother nature

CK1
    LOL! You guys live in the jungle!

But who was actually living first there: the animals or the humans?

Sometimes I think that subdivisions and homes just get built more and more where Mother Nature used to be. That it's still the animals territory and many times they don't have to many options where to go.

We live in the country and when we first moved here, there were Rattlesnakes as well. Luckily, there are many acres of nature right behind our yard where they can retrieve. But when it's a very hot summer they will come back looking for water from our sprinkler or the pool. One of our dogs got bit by a Rattlesnake last year, thankfully, he survived and recovered, but it was scary and expensive.

I could not imagine living in your area. We love letting the dogs run in the well fenced in yard, we love having our doors open when the weather is nice. I would not want to have to worry about the fur kids all the time. And people, too!

Hope, everyone stays safe there in the wilderness of Florida!

CK1
    And there are people who freak out because of a little mouse or a spider... gives the whole thing a new perspective! LOL

as the sherry part of sherry and murray, i must say that i am in awe of what we see from our window. it is hard to move away from it and actually leave the constant beauty of nature. in baltimore i saw squirrels, voles, an occasional raccoon and a small variety of birds. here we see so much more. it totally amazes me each time i look out the windows.

btw, we named momma 'sarah'. not quite sure why but it seemed right. as alligators go, she is average. as momma behave, she is amazing. she swims around giving the little ones rides on her back and is always nearby to watch out for them. according to my research they are at most a few weeks old and will grow a foot a year.

now, i might get a little nervous if they all survived and decided to live in this one pond. that could get scary.

CK1
    It's exciting to see how you enjoy your own little private piece of jungle, sherryf. How cute that you thought of a name for the mama alligator! My husband would be thrilled to be able to watch your kind of wildlife! Where we life there are only squirrels, a variety of wild birds, a bunch of wolf spiders (one of his favorites) and a bunch of other small critters which he "shoots" with his camera!

Looking forward to more stories or pics of "Sarah" and her bunch of babies.

ck1, thanks! we really found our niche here. a few creatures we would rather not see such as love bugs and vultures but the rest are fascinating.

btw, i have andrea j to thank for it. we were visiting her when we saw this house and hubby saw the view. hubby said 'buy it'. i did. he gave 30 days notice at his job and less than 3 months from the day we first saw it, we were living here.

Aruba since 1979
    It is a grand spot for retirement and fun.
    It is like overnight camp with booze.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast