Aruba Beach
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Like Tree131Likes

Thread: Working for a living

Think positive....not only will you get interview
    YOU will get the job !!!!
    They want the BEST and that is YOU

The uphill battle is what makes the result all that much more rewarding! Wishing you the path that is right for you!
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Good luck Jay!

Thanks to all of you for your well wishes. Its a little overwhelming to think about. I hope it all works out but only time will tell. I need to do a lot of financial work over the next week to see if I can afford to take such a large pay cut if/when I am offered the position. When talking with my wife I said we could always save some cash by not taking 3 or 4 trips yearly to Aruba but that was shot down quickly, lol. I am going to dinner with a friend tonight that runs a ton of soccer clinics to make some extra cash as he is also a full-time coach but at a prestigious prep school.

Lots to think about...switching jobs at almost 50 is somewhat scary but I am 95% sure if offered the job I will take it and just figure it out later, or just work till I am 100 when I drain my savings to maintain our level of living, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Aruba4ever View Post
    Lots to think about...switching jobs at almost 50 is somewhat scary but I am 95% sure if offered the job I will take it and just figure it out later, or just work till I am 100 when I drain my savings to maintain our level of living, lol.
    Can't take it with you!

Very true. I like your thinking. I have a few things planned if I get the position to makeup for the difference in pay. I am going to start my own soccer ID College recruiting camp-I had dinner last night with a good friend who is a former pro player in England and he is willing to be the "face" of my program. We will be pairing up with the one of the top programs in New England- he is best friends with the head coach. I have a number of college coach friends as well. He had tons of great ideas to offset my loss of income, and build my program. He also offered me a club coaching position for 8k for one practice a week plus a game on the weekend if I was willing to coach the winter/spring seasons. I passed for the moment but he indicated he would pay me more if I was willing to do it.

I am a true business man at heart and if/when I get my own program I will be running a soccer business along side of being the head coach....most of the college coaches do the same thing and that is how they make their cash. The college allows me to use the facilities for free- unless I do an overnight camp then I need to pay for the dorms...but at a low rate. My potential business partner has done this for years....he runs his own overnight camp currently and has been very successful doing so.

Another plus will your son get free college if you are working there.
    I know most colleges give their spouses and children free education
    Now that is a huge benefit that can make up your lost income.

You are spot on. I am applying for another position that is only an assistant coach position but I would also be teaching within the PE department at an excellent local college. I am going all out to land a college job over the next year.

QUOTE=brady bear;311040]Another plus will your son get free college if you are working there.
    I know most colleges give their spouses and children free education
    Now that is a huge benefit that can make up your lost income.[/QUOTE]
    Last edited by Aruba4ever; 01-22-2017 at 10:34 AM.

Eagle Beach to relax / Malmok, Boca Catalina & Arashi for snorkeling / Carte Blanche, Zeerovers, Sopranos Piano Bar, Kuku Kanuku & The Pata Pata Bar / The weekend flee market.
    I am a true believer that good things happen to good people. I hated my job for the last 3 years, was with the company for 21 years. I even took a 30% pay cut 3 years ago but stayed with them hoping they would grow. Had 5 weeks vacation, plus all the holidays, no nights no weekends either. But I got a call from someone that I worked with in the same company for my whole career there in November. He jumped ship last spring and said it was the best thing he ever did. My wife and I talked about it and I went for it. Interviewed my butt off with them and got an offer. Got my 30% back and then some! As of right now, I feel the same way he does. Quality of life came with it as well. Call everyone you know that you can trust. Something will break for you. I know it will.
    9th trip to Aruba in

Aruba since 1979
    A leap of faith!
    One has to be brave!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast