Aruba Beach
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
Like Tree131Likes

Thread: Working for a living

It is a sad time for educators. A few of my friends are or have been teachers and they just hate it now and how it has changed.

Corporal punishment... I remember getting in trouble in high school for skipping class. During your first detention you went to the wood shop and made your paddle, with your name on it and holes in it (the shop teacher had a pattern to follow). The next day, and every time afterwards that you screwed up, you got a feel of that paddle. It was either that or word would get sent to your parents, and nobody wanted that. The assistant principal must have had over 100 paddles in his office. Kinda funny looking back on it, but it was serious then. I'm sure he would be jailed for that now, but there were very few discipline problems back then. And swear at the teacher.. no way! Teachers are a special breed, and I wish they had better working conditions and got the respect they deserve.

My son is working on his teacher degree.. He plans on teaching IT ... then go for his masters.

I can recall a time I was picking up him from school.. the principle had 4 kids in his office. They had a food fight in the lunch room
    He had each kid to call the parent that is at work to let them know they had a food fight and don't blame the other boy..
    Each kid was in tears... one said I can't call my father he will kill me.
    The kids each called their parent ... with one kid telling someone that he must speak to his father that it was an emergency. Poor lad was crying..
    As he was talking to his dad .. he kept crying I am sorry dad, I know dad, and etc.

It appears like my dream of coaching college ball is going to be much harder than I ever anticipated. My AD sent me a message that he heard back from the College I had applied to and there are 130 applicants! Holy crap, it has doubled in the past 10 days. I consider my chances of landing this job at this point next to none and I can accept that.

I am going to continue my search for a full-time gig for a few more months then give up unless I am at least a finalist for one of them. I am currently writing a few essays in order to apply for a job at a Christian College north of Boston. The application for that position will ensure there are less than 50 applicants. First you must be Christian, secondly you must write 3 essays about your faith. The first your about your beliefs, the second about your spiritual journey through life, and the 3rd is about why you are applying and how your beliefs fit with there mission statement..... My essays are basically done and I just need to proof read them. Then there are a bunch of short answer questions about hobbies etc....I said travel of course. I left out the gambling and drinking till 3am while on vacation, lol. I am thinking my chances are better for this position because it takes hours to prepare to submit the application but I am still not thinking I am the right person....I can walk the walk and talk the talk but I think they are going to want someone with more "religious" experience than myself- I have never volunteered for a thing with the church since I was a child and I won't lie to get the job.

Today school became a little more pleasant. Our principal announced she was a finalist for a position in another district. I am thinking that means she has already been offered the job and its just has not been announced. Either way she is leaving one way or the other which makes me smile. Not many people flat out dislike me but she does and I have no idea why.... but she won't be my worry much longer it appears
    Last edited by Aruba4ever; 01-30-2017 at 09:16 PM.

Congrats Ms. Principal.....see ya!
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567