Aruba Beach
Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By AUA1989
  • 1 Post By WaltVB
  • 1 Post By brady bear
  • 1 Post By ~Amy~

Thread: Yes, I've changed resorts/hotels (Not Aruba)

Yes, I've changed resorts/hotels (Not Aruba)

When my son was trying out for the OSU marching band last summer it was a 4 day process for which I wanted to be sure he had a decent bed to sleep in and food to eat as it was his first time (this year, he's staying with "someone" and he can fend for himself), I booked a hotel in Columbus a few miles from the university. We had seen the hotel on many previous visits to Columbus, and it was right off the highway. When we arrived the day before tryouts, there was a sign indicating that the bridge over the highway, that we would absolutely have to use to get back and forth each of the 4 days of tryouts, would be closed beginning the next day. While my son was at evening rehearsal that next day I decided to go check out the detour so I was familiar with it. Welllll, the detour took 15 minutes and went through an area in which I didn't feel safe. At one traffic light, a man walked up to my car and beat on the hood. I decided that I didn't want the extra travel time to and from nor did I want to drive through that neighborhood each day.

I talked to the very nice desk clerk, assured her it was no fault at all with the hotel, but I needed to move. I knew there was another Holiday Inn closer to the university and I asked her if it was the same franchise. It was and SHE took care of changing my reservation.

What is actually comical about this whole thing is that my son and I had "moved into" our room, unpacked, set up the computers, filled the mini fridge, etc the night before. Now I had 1/2 hour before he needed picked up. I had to repack, unload the fridge back into the cooler, drag my suitcase, his suitcase, instrument, garment bag with his dress clothes, cooler, computers, pack the car and get back to pick him up. He had no idea what I had done. The look on his face was priceless when he walked up to the car packed to the brim with our belongings and said, "What's with all our crap in the car?"

People ask why we use IHG properties. The girl that helped me out is one of the reasons. They have always been helpful with us. We have had a few occasions being stuck at airports, or needing accommodations in a location we are not familiar with and they have gone out of their way to help us.

Quote Originally Posted by AUA1989 View Post
    People ask why we use IHG properties. The girl that helped me out is one of the reasons. They have always been helpful with us. We have had a few occasions being stuck at airports, or needing accommodations in a location we are not familiar with and they have gone out of their way to help us.
    Couldn't agree more with that statement, IHG has some great staff.

We try to stay with the Hilton brand hotels (Hilton, Doubletree, Embassy Suites, etc.) for points when traveling for work and vacations but, I agree, I have been pleasantly surprised with IHG properties' staff. We have stayed at a few Crowne Plazas and I love their lounge floor (whatever it's called) for pre-dinner drinks and snacks. And we love the Kimpton brand which just became part of IHG not too long ago. We booked the Sir Francis Drake Hotel in San Fran for Sept. which is now a Kimpton Hotel. The staff at both Hilton and IHG properties have always been great/helpful when needed.
    ~Amy~ - Playa del Carmen, MX: March 2017 - 34th trip to Aruba: May 2017 - Munich, Salzburg, Prague: June/July 2017 - Santa Barbara, CA wine country: Nov. 2017 - Seattle: Nov. 2017 - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018

I'm booking a couple of nights coming up in August in Toronto and noticed the Kimpton name popping up. I didn't realize they were now part of IHG until I saw that. I'll give them a try.

Agree wit IHG. Nice rooms, great customer service. We stayed at one by the airport for free and let me keep my car there for $42.00 for 9 days . Took me to the airport and picked me up. Even text me after picking me up asking if we made it home ok.. now that is service.

Quote Originally Posted by AUA1989 View Post
    I'm booking a couple of nights coming up in August in Toronto and noticed the Kimpton name popping up. I didn't realize they were now part of IHG until I saw that. I'll give them a try.
    I think it's a fairly new addition to IHG. I was surprised when I was booking the Sir Francis Drake in San Fran and 1.) saw it was a Kimpton and 2.) saw that they were now part of IHG. And the one Kimpton we stay in alot (The Firesky in Scottsdale) is no longer a Kimpton. I can't keep up......LOL! Have always liked the Kimpton brand though - smaller boutique hotels and a nice free wine reception every day at 5pm.
    ~Amy~ - Playa del Carmen, MX: March 2017 - 34th trip to Aruba: May 2017 - Munich, Salzburg, Prague: June/July 2017 - Santa Barbara, CA wine country: Nov. 2017 - Seattle: Nov. 2017 - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018