Aruba Beach
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Are You in the Northeast? Irene??

Hi Chrisvec, no I haven't tried Rosetti's but have heard good things about it. The owner of Alia (Said) used to work in the North End and when he opened his own place I wanted to try it. I wish it were more convenient, going through downtown is a nuisance, so I don't get up that way often. I got my patio stuff in today, picking up the wine on the way home, got plenty of nice cheeses and assorted crackers, the camera is good to go and I hope Irene goes out to sea!!

Quote Originally Posted by hatteras View Post
    When you lose power, the gas stations can't operate either.
    ...and may I add, have plenty of cash on hand, ATM's will not work either. Also prescription medication. Stores will not open if there is no power and you won't be able to get there anyway if roads are blocked/closed.

During the last category 4 in Florida we could not reach my parents for 5 days to know whether they were dead or alive. Phone lines where down as well as CELL TOWERS. Try to have a plan. We ended up using a phone chain...a friend of the family who still had cell service was able to drive to their house to check on them.

Eagle Beach to relax / Malmok, Boca Catalina & Arashi for snorkeling / Carte Blanche, Zeerovers, Sopranos Piano Bar, Kuku Kanuku & The Pata Pata Bar / The weekend flee market.
    (Said) is opening up a place next door to Alia called Rustic Table. Not sure what his menu is going to look like. It has a full bar as the place that used to be there, Gary's Seafood Grill, had a liquor license. We literally live around the corner so we could over indulge and walk home. When he opens, we'll check it out and I'll let you know how it is. On the Irene front, if we get lucky, I'll be walking up the street during high tide to wait for lobsters flying over the wall! If we loose power and can't cook, I'll have to grill them! Wine & cheese is also on our menu! Stay safe.

Ready as can be for Irene!

Looks like it will strike us with 80-90 mph winds tomorrow afternoon sometime...thank goodness it has weakened some! I have never been so ready to get through a weekend! I work for a utility and it has been a stressful week... good timing for a vacation just 3 days a few hours and 1 Hurricane IRENE!

eagle beach, baby beach, rogers beach, downtown, harley store......
    They are evacuating all of the waterfront areas in NY. Nursing homes, hospitals also. If you watch the news, wow!!! Like its gonna be the end of the world. I never saw it like this. They are shutting down the Garden state parkway in NY at 8pm tonight and the NJ transit, buses and etc tomorrow. Hundreds of flights are cancelled but they are rebooking them at no fee, thank god for that lol.... 270,000 people will be ordered to evacuate NY tomorrow if the storm stays on course. Strong waves are already hitting the shore. Well, I am all stocked up with everything I may need. I went to the store today and it was so crowded, more so than when they with the threat of a snow storm. It was mad crazy. I live in a high area but within 2 miles from the water. The houses are close also ad not many trees, I have one in my backyard but not too worried about that. If in fact there is a flood, I do have a 4 man raft that will come in very handy. Batten down the hatches everyone who is in Irenes path!!!! Hope everyone gets thru this safe and sound.

Eagle Beach, exploring the "Outback", Madi's tour to the Natural Pool , dinner at Papiamento's
    the tub water is also good for flushing!

Another tip I just heard -- fill baggies mostly full of water and pack as many as you can into the freezer, filling all the little spaces -- once frozen, will keep the freezer cold longer!

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisvec View Post
    Wow! Hi Trebor, First time I saw someone from Winthrop MA on the forum. We are 2 houses off of Shore Drive. Love watching the huge waves roll in. Only problem this time is it is a lunar high tide at 11:00 AM & then again PM which is exactly when Irene is passing by. Stocked my sports bar and wife went out and grabbed some food items. Hope we all make it through with little damage and no power outages. Hoping to hunker down and watch the Little League World Series. Hey Pegmeister we live around the corner from Alia. Ever tried Rossettis Cafe on Winthrop beach?
    We are not far from one another, we are just by mcGee's corner.

I laughed with your comment about waiting for then lobsters to come over the wall. That happened a few years ago didn't it. That w as a crazy time!

Aruba since 1979
    wishing you all well.
    stay dry, be well stocked and have plenty of provisions.

do any of you think the media are trying to scare us too much?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    do any of you think the media are trying to scare us too much?
    Don't listen to the media.

Listen to the meteorologists.

I think they are most concerned about the ground being so heavily saturated already with a foot of rain on top of that. Add a bit of wind, even tropical storm force and you are talking downed trees. Add on top of that wind blown waves with the right high tide and you will have some pretty high storm surge.

If they are closing the NJ Parkway and mass transit in Jersey and New York I would LIKE to think the officials are being instructed to do this by the meteorologists as well as State Police.

Everything I have heard reminds me of Hurricane Gloria, but this will be closer to the coast. I was working in EMS in a shore town at the Jersey shore then and people did not evacuate.

Once the ocean water started rising and waves were crashing under the boardwalk and rolling down the street, they started calling us to come out in the middle of the storm to rescue them and take them to the shelter. We did it because it was our job, though volunteers, but looking back on it, it is pretty unfair to emergency workers.

If people only used common sense and erred on the side of caution. I am all for taking names and numbers of next of kin and having plenty of toe tags available. Even if you are not going to take yourself out of harm's way, why not for the sake of your children?

<<stepping off my soapbox now>>

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    windy, we did that with the baggies. filled them 3/4 with water last nite and put in freezer.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast