Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Your kids ever absent from school for a trip ?

Aruba since 1979

Your kids ever absent from school for a trip ?

have you ever taken your child(ren) out of school for an aruba vacation?

we did, a few (3) times....extend our stay pre or post a school vacation week.
    we never took him out for the full week.

let me preface it by saying our son was an honor student.
    (earned a full scholarship to Mass Maritime and is now an employed nuclear engineer and a Lt. CDr in the Navy reserve, so Aruba did him no academic harm)

while in aruba during those visits, Kevin participated in PADI SCUBA courses.
    on one of his trips, he earned his open water certificate and another, his advanced and another was a specialty photography course.
    he also took para sailing lessons, visited historical sites and did his assigned school homework.
    the trips were not just a day at the beach for him.

his absences were not excused by the school and we did not particularly care on how they handled it.

click below for an interesting article re: children missing school for a family trip.
    http://www.examiner.com/article/dad-...LetterToSchool

mrk
    We've been taking our kids out of school 2nd week of January for the past 5 years. We do get trip excuses approved by our school district though. Cant put a price tag on creating family memories.

I haven't pulled my kids out of school for Aruba, but I have for a family funeral, in Boston actually! And for 2 funerals in California. The CA funerals were just "days at the beach" after the stress & grief of losing grandparents there was nothing more important than family time at the beach. Actually the MA one wasn't a historical lesson either! None of those days were ever excused absences, but my kids never risked losing credit for too many days out.
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

I saw the article about the dad as well.

My thought on something like this is "They're my kids, I'll do with them as I see fit."

I haven't taken my kids out of school to go to Aruba, but I have allowed them to miss school for other trips (Disney cruise). Much can be learned from traveling. I always said if they are getting good grades, are good students and good citizens out of the classroom, they deserve a break now and then. Both kids are both honor students and would not have suffered had they missed a week. Our daughter is a 4.0 in college right now and our son is graduating h.s. with honors in a month. He was accepted and has officially decided to attend Ohio State University in the aeronautical engineering program. When they did miss school, they were given 3 days time by the school to turn in any missed work. I required that they turn it in upon the day of their return (really just trying to get them to learn not to procrastinate; haha).

I was one that laughed at the perfect attendance awards the school would give out. Mostly because they were lucky not to EVER be sick.

I agree that family time is priority, especially these days when 2 parents work and the kids participate in various activities. Someone said to me once that kids these days do too much. Have you ever read a college app, a scholarship app? They want kids who have had jobs, done community service, participated in school sports/clubs/activities and gotten As.

Aruba since 1979
    Someone much smarter than me said "it is better to have traveled a thousand miles than to have read a thousand books"

Sort of off topic, but when we were kids, we would travel to FL every year in February for two weeks. My brothers and I would get our assignments from our teachers in advance and would do our homework while on vacation. I was an A student, so it was never an issue for me.
    Darlene

Aruba since 1979
    ...sort of off topic too

in 1998 my dad was in hospital (for 4 yrs) with post polio syndrome and on a ventilator. my mom was in a nursing home with dementia.
    my husband, son and i were exhausted, stressed and needed a break for a few days.
    (kevin was in 7th grade)
    i contacted my uncles and a few cousns and asked if they would fill in for me at the hospital and nursing home for 4 days while we escaped to the beach in FLA.
    they agreed.
    we pulled kevin from school, spoke to each teacher individually and all were wonderful and understanding....all except one.
    she, Mrs Lardbottom listened to our situation and said "if you want to take the kid from school for 4 days, do it...just don't bore me with a ridiculous lie about sick parents"
    she said that in front of the principal, he in turn ushered her out to the hallway and the next day she was reassigned to the high school.

i think i may find her and write her a letter on just how hurt and angry and insulted we were.

now back on track...thanks for letting me vent.

Eagle Beach, Baby Beach, Arashi Beach Tierra Del Sol golf course
    Our kids were out of school already when we took our first trip to Aruba. We did, however, take our younger daughter to Maui in April of 1990. She was in the 9th grade and the school OKd it. We did not take our oldest daughter who was a senior because the school said she would fail if she missed any more classes. She was our problem child that had straight As through 9th grade but barely passed after that. The trip to Maui was a prize for writing a lot of insurance and they picked the date(400 agents and wives from across the country). 4 night stay paid for by the insurance company I wrote for at the time. They covered air fare, hotel rooms and some meals including a luau. We stayed an additional 5 nights on Kauai at wifes uncles B&B. Hope this isn't too off topic.

Divi links, pool, beach, lighthouse, Arikok National Park, etc.
    Yes, however, it was preschool, Kindergarten and 1st grade. Next year we will switch our dates to the summer as we have a 14 day timeshare. Our weeks usually fall within spring break so she has only ever missed 4 or 5 days, however, spring break will not fall within our weeks for the next few years so we will have to switch our weeks as I can not bear to only go to Aruba for a week :-)

Our son (9) has never missed for Aruba, because we go over his spring break every year. BUT I would pull him in a minute if for some reason we couldn't work with his break dates. He misses 2-3 days every year for....wait for it...a trip to Las Vegas It is a 22 year family reunion tradition. He goes to a private Catholic school, so I kinda laugh every year when I have to tell his teacher where we're going. He has also missed days here and there for trips to CA and AZ. Our school is very supportive of travel, and would never punish a student who missed school due to travel. I always say, the week he is learning open heart surgery, is the week I won't pull him out for a trip.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast