Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Your kids ever absent from school for a trip ?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    ...sort of off topic too

in 1998 my dad was in hospital (for 4 yrs) with post polio syndrome and on a ventilator. my mom was in a nursing home with dementia.
    my husband, son and i were exhausted, stressed and needed a break for a few days.
    (kevin was in 7th grade)
    i contacted my uncles and a few cousns and asked if they would fill in for me at the hospital and nursing home for 4 days while we escaped to the beach in FLA.
    they agreed.
    we pulled kevin from school, spoke to each teacher individually and all were wonderful and understanding....all except one.
    she, Mrs Lardbottom listened to our situation and said "if you want to take the kid from school for 4 days, do it...just don't bore me with a ridiculous lie about sick parents"
    she said that in front of the principal, he in turn ushered her out to the hallway and the next day she was reassigned to the high school.

i think i may find her and write her a letter on just how hurt and angry and insulted we were.

now back on track...thanks for letting me vent.
    wow. People can be so rude!
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

I was one of those kids that were pulled from school.

A few times per year, my parents would make the trek from Toronto to Fort Lauderdale where my grandparents were the ubiquitous snow birds fpr six months of the year. This was from the late 1960s to the early 1980s. At first, it was fun - tiny people in a big, Chevy Malibu with nothing but a deck of cards and some colouring books. It became tiresome as a teenager: I was sick of Florida and, frankly, being trapped in a Oldsmobile town car with my parents.

But...

In retrospect, I look back fondly on that time with my grandparents: six months is a long time to not see those two people (maternal side) that I was very close to growing up.

So, did it impact my formal education? No. And I would struggle to recall most things from school at this point in my life.

But I can tell you, in hilarious detail, about the year the phone rang on the lanai and my grandmother came charging towards it not realizing the glass sliding doors were closed. Luckily, Irish Catholics are extremely resilient... after a few shots of "medicine".

And I also learned how to change a tire on a VERY busy Interstate 75. And can still do it to this day.

I guess what I'm saying is that I learned a lot and created quite a few memories by NOT being in school so I would vote to yank the kids out to let them experience a life that can't be found in a textbook or an iPad.

And, man, if it had been Aruba, I'd be nuclear engineer!!

Aruba since 1979
    i am moving this to off topic so we can continue to be off topic without the internet police reporting this

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    We took our daughters out of school 2 weeks every year, one week of school vacation( week 15), and then another week 16.

we did it every year for middle school and high school. One week of Aruba wasnt enuf.

they attended small private schools and the teachers were fine with giving them work and extra time to finish it.
    if it was public school I would imagine we would have been thrown out of the principals office telling them what we were doing.

Like CindyO said, we took our two daughters out of school for at least a week every year, from grades K-12. Now they're 22 and 23 years old; one has an MBA and the other is ten months away from an MS. I guess they ended up just fine!

The weeks away taught the girls a lot more than the weeks in school would have. I really couldn't have cared less what any individual teacher thought......my decision.
    Please contact via e-mail at arubarennowner@gmail.com

Just watched a story on the local news where the principal sent the parents a long letter telling them that a family vacation was not an excused absence no matter what the activities are the father got angry and posted it on his Facebook page and now the principal is getting all sorts of hate mail and even death threats!! Crazy!!

Aruba since 1979
    peggy check the link in post #1
    i wonder if it is the same principal/letter/story?
    Quote Originally Posted by Pegmeister View Post
    Just watched a story on the local news where the principal sent the parents a long letter telling them that a family vacation was not an excused absence no matter what the activities are the father got angry and posted it on his Facebook page and now the principal is getting all sorts of hate mail and even death threats!! Crazy!!

I thought it was a different family but now that I look at the post I think your right. Not having children we've never had to worry to much about scheduling vacations. My feeling though is the schools need to work with the parents.

Aruba since 1979
    exactly .
    schools need to work with the parents and vice versa.
    parents need to be respectful and not thumb their noses at the schools' policies.

any teachers or retired teachers here?

Quote Originally Posted by Pegmeister View Post
    I thought it was a different family but now that I look at the post I think your right. Not having children we've never had to worry to much about scheduling vacations. My feeling though is the schools need to work with the parents.

Every year we do cruises; and yes we do take the two younger ones out for a week. They both are honor students and Aryana is graduating middle school this year with awards for being on high honor roll all four quarters .... for three years straight. Cody is following her as well.

They learn a lot too. We do culture stuff and fun stuff.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12