Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: 20+ hour flights

20+ hour flights

I have been looking at flights for July and August out of Newark, NJ (and surrounding airports). I have been surprised how often a flight option will pop up that has total trip time at more than 20 hours. Usually this entails something like a 12 hour layover somewhere (like Charlotte). Do people actually opt for these insane trips? Keep in mind that a nonstop flight would be about 5 hours.

Some people fly weird connecting routes just to accumulate the extra frequent flier miles. Many times they are trying to keep their elite status. IMO they have nothing better to do with their time or money.

Sometimes you have to do what you have to do in order to get where you are going.

Right now United non-stop from Newark to Aruba non-stop over Christmas and New Year's is $1300+. Options are American through Miami with an overnight 15 hour layover is $823 or US Air through Charlotte with layover of anywhere between 1 - 13 hours. Multiply the savings for say a family of 4 and you are talking $2000 savings.

Fortunately my brother is by himself and can fly out of Phildelphia non-stop on US Air for $813.

I was looking at one flight out of Newark that actually went through Philadelphia. I thought to myself that it must therefore be cheaper to simply fly out of Philadelphia but it wasn't. I am actually waiting for Southwest to extend their schedule. Even though it is a 3 hour drive to Baltimore, it might end up being hundreds of dollars cheaper to go that route.

Welcome to Airline de-regulation (thanks President Reagan), Airline Consolidation (thanks Congress, the SEC, and the 9/11 terrorists), and a general disrespect by the Airlines for their passengers.

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    Quote Originally Posted by jbrid23456 View Post
    I have been looking at flights for July and August out of Newark, NJ (and surrounding airports). I have been surprised how often a flight option will pop up that has total trip time at more than 20 hours. Usually this entails something like a 12 hour layover somewhere (like Charlotte). Do people actually opt for these insane trips? Keep in mind that a nonstop flight would be about 5 hours.
    No, I don't like those insane trips. Which is the reason why I didn't go back to Aruba in four years.

In former times, I could get to Aruba from Central Texas in about 7 hours. Not anymore. Now they would send me all over the US to finally arrive in Aruba in 20 hours plus (or to get home). I booked with Continental in the past. They cancelled their flights Texas/Aruba four years ago.

We have some friends we see at our timeshare who lived in AZ then moved to northern California. They have no easy way to get to Aruba. The ended up selling their weeks and plan to vacation in Hawaii from now on.

Eagle Beach, Baby Beach, Arashi Beach Tierra Del Sol golf course
    Quote Originally Posted by CK1 View Post
    No, I don't like those insane trips. Which is the reason why I didn't go back to Aruba in four years.

In former times, I could get to Aruba from Central Texas in about 7 hours. Not anymore. Now they would send me all over the US to finally arrive in Aruba in 20 hours plus (or to get home). I booked with Continental in the past. They cancelled their flights Texas/Aruba four years ago.
    Don't know how far DFW is from you but my sis catches American Airlines at 5:40am and arrives in Aruba around 2:30pm with plane change in Miami. We live in Tulsa and AA from here is 9am to DFW or ORD, to MIA then arrive in Aruba around 9pm. Delta leaves here at 6am through ATL and arrives at AUA at 2pm. We did not have this Delta option until 3 years ago when they added the early flight to ATL. As it is now, we have exactly 1 hour in ATL.

We all hate the high fares, but the shareholders love their profits.

Delta added a second flight on Saturdays to assist people people in making connections.

We have friends who live in Denver and fly to Aruba on a red eye. They have lots of options and are able to connect through JFK, ATL, CLT or MIA. Once the price was right and they flew through Boston. Dedication

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    Quote Originally Posted by arubabob View Post
    Don't know how far DFW is from you but my sis catches American Airlines at 5:40am and arrives in Aruba around 2:30pm with plane change in Miami. We live in Tulsa and AA from here is 9am to DFW or ORD, to MIA then arrive in Aruba around 9pm. Delta leaves here at 6am through ATL and arrives at AUA at 2pm. We did not have this Delta option until 3 years ago when they added the early flight to ATL. As it is now, we have exactly 1 hour in ATL.
    Thank you for all the info! I would have to fly to DFW, so the 5:40 am is not an option. I saw some flights similar to yours but the return flights would be about 20 hours. The Delta option sounds promising, is 1 hour enough to change planes in ATL? Seems a bit tight.

Quote Originally Posted by CK1 View Post
    The Delta option sounds promising, is 1 hour enough to change planes in ATL? Seems a bit tight.
    We fly MSP-ATL-AUA twice a year on Delta. On our flight to Aruba our connection time in Atlanta is anywhere from 58 minutes to 1 hour 10 minutes. Knock on wood, we've never had a problem connecting (and neither has our luggage). However, I would never do such a short connection time on a return flight since it's later in the day and more delays, etc. may have occured throughout the day so we always make sure to have about a 2 hour connection on our return.
    ~Amy~ - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 -- 36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast