Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 3-1-1 from travel columnist at MSNBC.com

Restricted Carry-on Items?

Hi All! I am leaving tomorrow for Aruba and I'm so excited. I saw on a post around December that due to heightened security they were not letting you carry on digital cameras in the Aruba airport. I have a large digital SLR that I would not want to check, so if I can't carry it on I will not bring it. Has anyone been through airport security recently in Aruba had a problem with this? Thanks in advance!

Aruba since 1979
    you CAN/ are allowed to carry on camera equipment.
    when you say large, it will fit under the seat or in the overhead right? ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by katiearuba View Post
    Hi All! I am leaving tomorrow for Aruba and I'm so excited. I saw on a post around December that due to heightened security they were not letting you carry on digital cameras in the Aruba airport. I have a large digital SLR that I would not want to check, so if I can't carry it on I will not bring it. Has anyone been through airport security recently in Aruba had a problem with this? Thanks in advance!

I always travel with my 12" x 9" dslr camera bag.

Sometimes USA TSA asks for hand inspection and sometimes not. I carry a card reader in the bag as well as an extra USB cord. I think we all know how much TSA LOVES cords (rightfully so imo ) of any kind.

While we were waiting in the "crying room" for our return flight from Aruba, the U.S. Customs deterctor dogs were roaming randomly from passenger to passenger with their handlers. From a previous post:
    "2. US Customs were roaming the gate area with detector dogs.
    The dog spent a good amount of time on my camera bag until he was redirected. The scent of all of our cats must have been to the dog's liking. "
    I was asked to open the bag at final inspection upon boarding, but was able to carry it on without any problems. Just make sure you are not over the limit for carryons. I only carry a purse (considered a personal object) and the camera bag is my one allowed "carry on".

Go, enjoy and don't worry!

Great thanks to both of you! It's definitely small enough to store overhead. I was only planning on bringing that and a purse so hopefully I won't have any problems. And I will just be prepared for them to open the bag during inspection.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12