Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AA to Charge for FIRST Checked Bag

Thumbs down AA to Charge for FIRST Checked Bag

It was bound to happen...

American to charge for 1st checked bag,Delta balks

By DAVID KOENIG – 34 minutes ago

FORT WORTH, Texas (AP) — American Airlines will start charging $15 for the first checked bag, cut domestic flights and lay off workers as it grapples with record-high fuel prices.

But rival Delta doesn't plan to match American's fee for the first checked bag, a spokeswoman said.

American, the nation's largest carrier, said Wednesday the fee for the first checked bag starts June 15 and that it would raise other fees for services ranging from reservation help to oversized bags. The other fees will mostly range from $5 to $50 per service, the airline said.

Last month American announced it would join other carriers in charging $25 for second bags checked for some passengers, but it wasn't immediately clear how Wednesday's announcement would affect that.

The planned fee on the first checked bag immediately ran into resistance. Delta Air Lines Inc. spokeswoman Betsy Talton said the Atlanta-based airline is considering all of its options in light of $130-a-barrel oil, but doesn't plan to match the $15 fee American announced.

American plans to cut domestic flight capacity by 11 percent to 12 percent in the fourth quarter. American had previously expected fourth-quarter capacity to fall 4.6 percent from the same period in 2007.

Parent AMR Corp. said reduced flying will lead to an undisclosed number of job cuts at both American and its American Eagle subsidiary.

AMR expects to retire 45 to 50 planes from its fleet, most of them gas-guzzling MD-80 aircraft. Those were the plane grounded for faulty wiring last month.

American said rising oil prices have increased its expected annual fuel costs by nearly $3 billion since the start of the year.

AMR shares tumbled $1.10, or 13.4 percent, to $7.10 after the announcement which came as its shareholders gathered for their annual meeting.

Just so folks are aware, THIS is ONLY only domestic flights.

Updated Checked Bag Policies
    "Customers who purchase domestic economy class tickets on or after May 12, 2008 but before June 15, 2008 may check one bag for free and check a second bag for $25 each way. Customers who purchase domestic economy class tickets on or after June 15, 2008 will be charged $15 each way for the first checked bag and $25 each way for the second checked bag. Our carry-on policy of one personal item (such as a purse or laptop bag) plus one bag remains in place."

http://www.aa.com/aa/i18nForward.do?p=/travelInformation/baggage/baggageAllowance.jsp
    "Itinerary-- Other International Travel
    Number of Bags Allowed Free Of Charge-- Two pieces checked, One piece carry-on
    Size Per Piece Allowed Free Of Charge-- 62 in/157 cm (checked), 45 in/114 cm (carry-on)
    Maximum Weight Per Piece Free Of Charge-- 50 lbs/23 kgs. (checked), 40 lbs/18 kgs. (carry-on)"

Just so folks are aware, THIS is ONLY only domestic flights.
    Thanks for that...I should have qualified my original post.

I just hate the slippery slope they're heading down.

From AA website:

The following customers will not be charged a service fee to check a bag provided the bag is within the weight allowance:
    • For the first checked bag, customers who buy a ticket before June 15, 2008, or who fly before June 15, 2008
    • For the second checked bag, customers who purchased a ticket before May 12, 2008
    • Customers traveling on an international itinerary to destinations beyond the U.S., the U.S. Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, or Canada
    • Customers who purchase full-fare tickets in Economy Class
    • Customers who purchase Business or First Class tickets
    • Customers flying on AA codeshare flights not operated by American Airlines, American Eagle or AmericanConnection®
    • Customers traveling on government or military fares
    • Military passengers on active duty
    • AAdvantage Executive Platinum®, AAdvantage Platinum® or AAdvantage Gold® members
    • oneworld Alliance Emerald, Sapphire or Ruby members
    • Customers flying on the same reservation as an AAdvantage Executive Platinum, AAdvantage Platinum or AAdvantage Gold member or oneworld Alliance Emerald, Sapphire or Ruby member regardless of frequent flier status or fare type (not applicable to group bookings)
    • AAnytime® Economy Class AAdvantage award tickets, MileSAAver(SM) or AAnytime First and Business Class AAdvantage award tickets
    • First and Business Class upgrades confirmed prior to check in
    • AAirpass travel
    Last edited by Tom and Karen; 05-21-2008 at 02:20 PM. Reason: !
    Tom & Karen

Next Trip: Jan. 6 - April 7

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    ok...so i am stupid and don't feel like reading all this...is it aruba related?

Yes, it is Aruba-related because American Airlines has a big presence in Aruba.

Quote Originally Posted by Karen in NYC View Post
    Yes, it is Aruba-related because American Airlines has a big presence in Aruba.
    No....read the fine print....the new AA policy does not apply to international flights.

You're OK for two bags unless you're flying from Oranjestad to San Nicolas!
    Please contact via e-mail at arubarennowner@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by rob o View Post
    No....read the fine print....the new AA policy does not apply to international flights.

You're OK for two bags unless you're flying from Oranjestad to San Nicolas!
    The relevance is that, given the way things are going, it may not be long before these type of policies do affect travel to Aruba so it's worth keeping an eye on.

If the mods think it is inappropriate I'm sure they'll take proper action. Until then I feel it's a fair topic.

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    Chip...you are right....It is an appropriate topic, it just doesn't apply yet to tickets to aruba yet. Thats all i was asking. No one was looking for a moderator to jump in. cindy

Quote Originally Posted by cindyo View Post
    Chip...you are right....It is an appropriate topic, it just doesn't apply yet to tickets to aruba yet. Thats all i was asking. No one was looking for a moderator to jump in. cindy
    I understand. Re-reading that last line from my previous post it does come across a little defensive, which I didn't intend. Sorry if it sounded like I was being snippy. Mea Culpa.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast