Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: AA Flight 8-13-16

AA Flight 8-13-16

Alarm goes off at 1 AM my daughter and I start to get ready. Phone rings at 1:30 AM, it is American airlines stating that our flight has been changed from Chicago to Miami, now Chicago to Philly, departing at 5:45 am instead of 5am.

Hubby is up now and we are both thinking, this can't be happening. We continue to get ready and head for the airport. We are out the door at 2:00 am. I tried logging into AA flight check in and unable to secure seats for the first leg. Ugggg. AA gave us seat assignments for the Philly to Aruba leg. We are lucky to get Row 4! I was happy with that.

We arrive at 2:45 and AA line is long, our main concern is at least one of us sitting with our daughter. We are told at the counter that they will give us seat assignments at the gate. I am assuming it's because they do not have three seats together.

We get to the gate, I am first in line at the counter, I ask about seats, only to be told that it's an oversold flight and that they will give us seat assignments closer to the boarding time.

This really can't be happening right now! I am trying to remain calm. Agent said I will call you back up in a few minutes. There are a few families trying to get seats as well. The agent called another family up for seats. I made my way back up to the counter, letting her know I was here waiting. She replied oh yes like she almost forgot! She finally got us 2 seats together row 28 and hubby in another seat row 17. We board and happy that is behind us.

We land in Philly with minutes to spare to get to the next gate. There is a small delay as the plane just arrived. We board the plane and we are loving our seats together in row 4, first row behind first class.

We get buckled in and they make an announcement that everyone needs to get off the plane due to a maintenance issue and this could be a long delay.

We get off plane and within 10 minutes we are told there was a mistake and we must recheck everyone in row by row.

We recheck in and take a seat, still unclear as to what is going on. Agent makes announcement to go to Gate A2 which is just next to where we are sitting. We walk over and told that we will board this plane, which was a plane scheduled for Bermuda. We are over hearing that the original plane needed a part and it was coming in from Charlotte.

After waiting about 10 minutes or so they make another announcement that the flight to Aruba has been cancelled and we will need to go to customer service to rebook (basically figure it out ourselves).

An entire flight of people start walking down the terminal, then it went from walking to running! Everyone is thinking the same, need to get to the counter.

Our 11 year old takes off for counter she is following the crowd, hubby following behind her ( thinking of putting her on track)! Lol

I am way behind and thinking this is just too much and almost in tears. Planned all year for this special trip and it's starting to slip away.

Daughter is 4th in line, good job! We might have a chance to get out of Philly and I am thinking Miami route.

Agent is doing her best and is telling us there is nothing available. We are all just looking at one another and clueless as what to do next.

Manager (Nancy) comes over to tell the crowd, they are looking for another plane and crew to get us to Aruba. A small glimmer of hope! She sounds promising and keeping everyone calm. After standing at CS desk for about 1hr , Nancy confirms there is a plane and crew! We all clap and head to Gate B.

Now we are told by the CS agent to get our seat assignment at Gate B. Since it's a different type of plane, the seats will be slightly different.

We stand in line, and the agent at Gate B tells me oh no you don't need to do that, just come up when they call your group. We will scan your ticket and you will be in similar seats.

We leave the line, I kid you not, within 5 min, she makes an announcement to recheck in for seat assignments. The line is now super long. Go back to the front and agent is gone! She is trying to get out of dodge for sure. I see her and tell her you just told me we didn't need to do that. Hubby is not happy with all this and I am trying to keep it together.

We stand in the line and wait to get new seat assignment. As we are in line they call group 1.

We make our way up front, they scan our tickets, tell us to move to the counter so they can give seat assignment. Another agent tells me the ticket has been used for this leg and that we need to go downstairs to get it fixed. I tell her the ticket has not been used because the flight was cancelled and I ask to speak with Nancy. She insists we need to go and get it fixed because her system doesn't allow to fix it.

Daughter is in tears by this time, everyone is boarding the plane, and hubby is ready to head back home.

Hubby sees another agent walking over, we tell him the problem, he takes boarding tickets and passports and tells us he will fix it. A few more families are having the same issue with tickets. Not sure what went wrong.

Wally comes back with our tickets about 10-15 min later, he tells us I have seats for you and walks us on the plane. He put us in first class, daughter and I sit together and hubby 1 row in front. Surprised by this and just happy to be on the plane.

Daughter truly felt like a princess with the service. Not sure how we will handle being back in coach!

I make sure to email Bully to let him know our flight will be late. He responds not to worry, he will be there for us when we arrive.

We finally touch down and the entire flight was clapping and cheering.

We were all nervous luggage would be missing but it arrived.

Bully was waiting for us and we made our way to the resort.

Sorry for the long detailed report.

Hope the days go slow!
    8th trip to Aruba!

OMG! I don't know if I would have remained that calm. So glad it all worked out for you, you got to fly in first class and now your vacation can begin!
    [url=https://www.TickerFactory.com/]

WOW!! sorry the start of your trip didn't go well.
    Glad you did get first class!!! So sure your daughter was thrilled. Now she is going to want to travel that way all the time.
    Now you can put that behind you and relax... Don't forget to keep us updated with exciting reviews.

Glad it's behind us now. Hubby was ready to go home. I was determined to get here.

That's just an awful way to start a vacation!! Glad you are now in Aruba. May the rest of your vacation be stress free!

Aruba since 1979
    WOW.....what a nightmare.
    I am not sure at what stage of your horror story (if i were in your shoes) that i would have "lost it".

There was an AA flight on Sat or Sun that encountered severe (really severe) turbulence. Was this your flight?

SO, today is Aug 16. I am hoping you are all rested and relaxed and this airline thing is now far behind you.

Boca Catalina, Arashi Beach Manchebo Beach, Eagle Beach
    OMG!! I was stressing out, just reading this! I always dread the flights. We've had so many bad experiences that there are times that I swear that I'll never fly again. However, Aruba calls to me, and I just have to get back. I'm so happy to see that it all worked our in the end and that you are now safely at your resort. Enjoy your time in Aruba! Now you can relax.

Hi

It was hard to keep it together.

Our flight arrived on Sat and was smooth. No issues with turbulence.

Aruba since 1979
    most every time i fly i wind up in tears...usually at home prior to leaving for the airport.
    it is very stressful

we are not as frequent flyers as some, but do fly 3 or 4 times a year.

kudos to kam and family for not going "postal" QUOTE=hatteras;303220]OMG!! I was stressing out, just reading this! I always dread the flights. We've had so many bad experiences that there are times that I swear that I'll never fly again. However, Aruba calls to me, and I just have to get back. I'm so happy to see that it all worked our in the end and that you are now safely at your resort. Enjoy your time in Aruba! Now you can relax.[/QUOTE]

O.M.G.!! What a nightmare! I felt your anxiety and stress. So glad you were able to get off the ground and get to Aruba!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast