Aruba Beach
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: AA Reduces Flights to AUA

It gets complicated! Our points are with Air Canada and we have the ability to use Air Canada's partner airlines which included United and US Air. The partner airlines only allocate so many seats and once they are gone....TOO BAD!!! We do this all the time as Air Canada only flies to Aruba once a week (Saturday) via Toronto. If you want to leave mid-week (which is what we like to do) then you need to use a partner airline. Never had a problem until this year as we usually go via Philadelphia. We tried to see if there were space on other flights (United and US Air) but no luck so far. I willl have to keep trying and hope that space opens up or they reinstate this Wednesday flight.
    happiness is going to Aruba with your adult kids because they still want to come with their parents

http://www.arubatoday.com/ "The current cutbacks recently announced by American Airlines was also explained by Smith [Aruba Tourism and Hotel Association (AHATA) CEO]. He stated that any decrease in airlift to Aruba, even as slight as it is for Aruba compared to other Caribbean destinations will affect the island, but it will not be a devastating situation as other carriers can fill the transportation schedule to Aruba."

Aruba since 1979
    i just got off the phone w/. american airlines.
    one of the supervisors called me back! (a feat in itself)

lots of the cancellations of flights ex: jfk to aua on tues, wed and thurs will be only in the slower seasons. SEPT-OCT-NOV early DEC

the supervisor said for example those jfk flights to aua that were cancelled for mid week are due to fuel pricing, low season, easier rerouting of passengers.

she said they "aa" looks at inventory during the slower times and makes adjustments as needed

my flights jan 8 and jan 22 remain as is. (for now )

this supervisor was pleasant and on the ball.
    she empathizes with air travelers.
    i had forwarded her the amigoe article and she said it was pretty accurate.
    she took time, explained and was very forthcoming.

andrea

This is great information. If you hear anything regarding Bos-Aua, please post. I'm flying on the weekend in October and I absolutely hate to fly so I would be a mess if I had to connect somewhere.

Andrea
    Glad to hear you got satisfaction from the AA rep. Bottom line is they still suck. They sucked when they were the only non stop from JFK and now that Jetblue is on the scene they still suck.

I used to fly them every August, and i would curse them while I waited for up tp an hour and a half when i returned to JFK. Then Jetblue came along, and the last two years, flying JB i am out of the airport in half the time.
    The flight attendants on JB are more pleasant and friendly as well.

Obviously price of fuel is driving these cutbacks. I cant blame AA for that, although there should be some sort of a better protocol for passengers that have booked flights that are cancelled. But I think the other thing that is driving the cutbacks is simply that they cant compete with JB. Befoe JB, AA charged $698 round trip from JFK, no matter what. You could have booked the flight 6 months before or 2 weeks before. Then JB comes on the scene. They cant charge what they were charging, they cant compete and still be profitalbe, so they pull out.
    I booked JB about 5 months ago for August, I am flying roundtrip fare for BOTH of us is 870 (plus 80 roundtrip because we chose the roomier seats.)
    AA cannot compete

Aruba since 1979
    i respect your opinon of AA.
    for some, involvement with AA is like being in an abusive relationship. (it is HARD to escape)

i would be a JB person if i could reserve at 330 days out.

but, since i still have a lot of airmiles on AA and like to be able to reserve far out, i will still be a customer.

andrea

Quote Originally Posted by pratoman View Post
    Andrea
    Glad to hear you got satisfaction from the AA rep. Bottom line is they still suck. They sucked when they were the only non stop from JFK and now that Jetblue is on the scene they still suck.

I used to fly them every August, and i would curse them while I waited for up tp an hour and a half when i returned to JFK. Then Jetblue came along, and the last two years, flying JB i am out of the airport in half the time.
    The flight attendants on JB are more pleasant and friendly as well.

Obviously price of fuel is driving these cutbacks. I cant blame AA for that, although there should be some sort of a better protocol for passengers that have booked flights that are cancelled. But I think the other thing that is driving the cutbacks is simply that they cant compete with JB. Befoe JB, AA charged $698 round trip from JFK, no matter what. You could have booked the flight 6 months before or 2 weeks before. Then JB comes on the scene. They cant charge what they were charging, they cant compete and still be profitalbe, so they pull out.
    I booked JB about 5 months ago for August, I am flying roundtrip fare for BOTH of us is 870 (plus 80 roundtrip because we chose the roomier seats.)
    AA cannot compete

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    I agree with your discust with AA, however, we are in the same situation, miles and buying 330 days out. And, by the way, JB is no cheaper than AA in all the times we had checked in the past. We are WAY to close to free trips for 4, so we're stuck...cindy

Aruba since 1979
    i was just on JBs site and their prices are not at all comparable to AA bos to aruba for travel midweek thru the end on 2009.

AA prices are still better and all of them are connecting; JB thru JFK and AA thru MIA, JFK, SJ

andrea
    Quote Originally Posted by cindyo View Post
    I agree with your discust with AA, however, we are in the same situation, miles and buying 330 days out. And, by the way, JB is no cheaper than AA in all the times we had checked in the past. We are WAY to close to free trips for 4, so we're stuck...cindy

Banned
    As of Oct. 1st, 2008, AA is upping the amount of free miles needed to take a flight. Also a lot of their free mile flights to aruba next year don't land until 11 PM. Yeah right, pay $200 for a room/per night and check in around midnight just to go to bed. I don't think so. I want some food and beach time first. We can now use up all the rest of our miles and dump AA after that as our carrier. They have become a big headache for us, our friends and family. constantly changing our flights. so far our next reservation has been changed twice already and we still have a month to go yet. Now they charge for 1st bags, going to have to pay $2.00 for a coke and $7.00 for a beer. I don't think so. so what if the price of gas has gone up. i can't pay the gas bill for all the airlines, the grocery stores, the mailman, and every one else who wants to raise prices under the "gas" excuse. I can't even afford to pay for the gas in my own car, let alone theirs. Hope AA goes out of business. $#$%$^%&*&(*(^$$$$#@@#

Quote Originally Posted by bishop View Post
    Now they charge for 1st bags,
    Baggage fees are for domestic flights only.
    No fee for 2 bags with AA

http://www.aa.com/aa/i18nForward.do?p=/travelInformation/baggage/baggageAllowance.jsp
    "Other International Travel
    One bag carry-on. No charge
    Two bags checked. No charge"

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast