Aruba Beach
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: AA Reduces Flights to AUA

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    Anyone reading the news out there...AA is laying off 200 pilots....

Quote Originally Posted by cindyo View Post
    Anyone reading the news out there...AA is laying off 200 pilots....
    "AMR To Cut 200 Pilot Jobs In Previously Planned Downsizing

July 15, 2008: 04:54 PM EST

CHICAGO -(Dow Jones)- AMR Corp. (AMR) parent of American Airlines, said Tuesday it will cut 200 pilot jobs as part of a previously-announced plan to reduce its overall workforce by 8%. The Ft. Worth, Texas, airline has said it plans to cut flights and retire older, gas-guzzling aircraft in an effort to cope with rising fuel bills.

The job cuts, which total about 6,800, including 900 flight attendant positions, come as the U.S. airline industry is losing money after two years of profits. American said layoffs will begin after Labor Day.

As with its other unions, AMR said it is working with the Allied Pilots Association to limit the number of involuntary layoffs. Early retirement of older pilots would also help the airline by cutting the ranks of the airline's highest-paid employees.

"If accepted by the APA, this agreement could significantly minimize the number of pilot furloughs," the airline said in a statement. "It would also provide the company with the flexibility to recover from heavy retirement periods and greater ability to manage the short-term operational demands we are facing."

While the company didn't reveal specific plans, it is offering incentives to workers 50 years of age or older, and with significant seniority.

The airline is also offering programs for leaves of absence and job-sharing.

Spokesman Tim Wagner said that "any pilot reductions are regrettable." But, under the proposal to the APA pilots, "eligible senior captains would have the opportunity to separate with additional money, junior pilots could move upwards to higher-paying positions and some, or even all, of the bottom 200 pilots [on the seniority list] may not need to be furloughed."

Just last year, the airline industry was worried about a worldwide shortage of pilots due to strong growth of airlines in Asia and the Middle East.

Recently, U.S. airlines have announced plans to shrink, cutting back on flying that has been made unprofitable by the high cost of fuel.

-By Ann Keeton, Dow Jones Newswires; 312-750-4120; ann.keeton@dowjones.com

Click here to go to Dow Jones NewsPlus, a web front page of today's most important business and market news, analysis and commentary: http:// www.djnewsplus.com/al?rnd=9kELB4HUXOiD3Tf5%2BJpKQA%3D%3D. You can use this link on the day this article is published and the following day.
    (END) Dow Jones Newswires 07-15-08 1654ET Copyright (c) 2008 Dow Jones & Company, Inc. "

Aruba since 1979
    i am sure that you are stating your views with frustration and anger.
    we are all entitled to our own opinions and i respect yours.

my opinion is: if you have air reserved on AA, if you have banked AA miles with the hopes of using them at a future date..........do you really want them out of business?

speaking from experience, my family and i were "victims" of AIR Aruba. they went out of business about 7 yrs ago. my family and i LOST our trip that was already reserved using Aruba Air miles 4 days prior to leaving, our 70,000 banked miles became useless.

as my dad used to say to me "be careful what you wish for"
    and "the devil you know is usually better than the devil you do not know"

let's face it, the economy is in the crapper.
    every aspect of corporate america is having difficulties.
    most aspect of "corporate" worldwide is having economic difficulties.

aa hates spending their $$ on fuel, much the same we hate spending $$ on gasoline and in my case had a fill up of oil for our heating system today. the tank took 230 gallons at $4.88 per gallon.

andrea

Quote Originally Posted by bishop View Post
    . Hope AA goes out of business. $#$%$^%&*&(*(^$$$$#@@#

I am tires of airlines whining....like they're the only ones that use fuel. I wonder if AA's CEO worries about the price of gas when he fills up his car. Yeah....sure he does!
    Please contact via e-mail at arubarennowner@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    I just called American re my Jan 8 2009 flight. Bos to JFK to AUA and the flight has not been cancelled.
    The return is still in place AUA to JFK to Bos on Jan 22.

I think that I may reroute my whole air thing and go Bost- Mia- Aua.
    No n onstops for us as we travel on thursdays AND using air miles.
    Hi,
    check out aa again they have put the boston aruba non stop back. I think your date is available.

Aruba since 1979
    thanks
    so far my flights have remained unchanged
    andrea
    Quote Originally Posted by madricharubabound View Post
    Hi,
    check out aa again they have put the boston aruba non stop back. I think your date is available.

Just yesterday I booked non-stop roundtrip out of Boston for 12/4 - 12/11 for $276+tax/fees (about $365/pp). Will it be non-stop or even flying in December? Who knows, but I couldn't pass up the price!

The last thing anyone who travels should be wishing for is any airline to go out of business. Fewer airlines mean higher prices and less flexibility for everyone.

Aruba since 1979
    your last 2 sentences say it all.

andrea

Quote Originally Posted by chs4 View Post
    Just yesterday I booked non-stop roundtrip out of Boston for 12/4 - 12/11 for $276+tax/fees (about $365/pp). Will it be non-stop or even flying in December? Who knows, but I couldn't pass up the price!

The last thing anyone who travels should be wishing for is any airline to go out of business. Fewer airlines mean higher prices and less flexibility for everyone.

Eagle Beach and love venturing out throughout the whole island

So far my flights are not cancelled HOWEVER

the constant time changing drives me nuts
    we are now not leaving Boston until 10:25am
    we were suppose to leave at 8:55am
    this is just ridiculous but we are at their mercy as we want to go to Aruba so we have no choice sometimes than just deal...
    but it is getting to the point I need to find a more stable airline instead of American which we taek out of boston

any suggestions
    we usually leave 3rd week in November for 2 weeks
    thanks for any help
    ArubaDebbi

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    Unfortuately, I have no suggestions as we are in the same "pickle"...AA or nothing....Can't wait on JB, we need to buy 330 days out and are "mileage hostages"....

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast