Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: AA Upgrade Inquiry

My home in Aruba, Casa Koyari, my second home, Casa Del Mar, followed by Arashi and Baby Beaches!
    Are you an AA ADVANTAGE member? If not, sign both of yourselves up. Then you can purchase 500-mile upgrade certificates at $30 each. Depending on where you're traveling from it shouldn't be any more than 4-6 of these one-way per person. which is consioderably less than $400+. The catch is that you have to clear waitlist and they first clear their Exec Plat, Plats and then Golds. Once those clear, the remaining seats are left for AA ADV non-status members.

I can tell you I'm a Plat with them and pretty much clear upgrades all the time ( we also earn 4 of these certificates every 10k miles) and it is so NOT worth the money you are about to shell out. The food is terrible, service is a crapshoot and most of their planes down to Aruba are the older 757s. Save it and spend it on 2-3 spectacular meals in Aruba or another trip somewhere.

The more I thought about it, you are right. Although we are AAdvantage members it is probably not worth the extra cost. After all, it is only 2 hrs. 20 minutes from Miami. It's not like we are flying to Europe. I will save the cash and spend it on some good eats!!!
    hstvns49

My home in Aruba, Casa Koyari, my second home, Casa Del Mar, followed by Arashi and Baby Beaches!
    Glad to hear it. Defintely worth it on longer flights but given they are the only major airline flying out of Mia to AUA, they don't treat that route as a "competetive route". Their planes are old and tired, the food is awful and if you're lucky, you'll have a cpl of drinks on the plane and your seat may recline. I keep getting upgraded to broken "first class" seats on that route.

Yes, we who live in SW florida are kind of stuck with AA. Spirit flies out from FLL but only on Saturday (not for me). Airtran limited out of Orlando. We need addtional flights out of MIA. The only other alternative is to fly north to fly south. Not doing that either. You are certainly correct about the "tired" AA fleet on that route.. Just get me there!!!!!

Aruba since 1979
    there is another airline, and i cannot remember the name........surinam airways??
    that flies mia to aua.

i will find info and post it

Aruba since 1979
    https://wn.dsolution.eu/slm/dsuite/i...x?mid=1&lan=EN

yes surinam airways flys MIA to AUA.

Supply and demand. If there were more demand there would be more flights out of Florida to Aruba.

Not sure if this is any help. Our daughter in Florida is flying Air Tran from Orlando to AUA (non-stop) in January. These are newer flights. They could never get non-stop out of Orlando or Tampa.

Unfortunately, both Surinam and Air Tran have limited flights. Would love to see Jetblue out of MIA.

I'll tell you how bad it is. Last Dec I flew from Chicago, connected in Miami and into Aruba for $474 incl taxes.

However, for my Dad, stepmom and aunt, who live in Miami and were meeting me in Aruba a day later (on a Wednesday- not Saturday when we know the fares are inflated), I ended up paying $598 for their tix EACH between Miami and Aruba. Why? No competition from major carriers and like you said HSTTVNS, the other airlines have limited flights and if there's a problem, you're stuck for the next cpl of days so I had to pick AA. Now, I did see that if you fly to Curacao, it is less, but then you have to book a peddle jumper and the connections are horrid. At least for 2 80 yr olds and 1 78 yr old, I couldn't put them through those paces...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast