Aruba Beach
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: AA/USAIR merger

Quote Originally Posted by Chadd View Post
    The DOJ/DOT will likely require some divestment of slots in DCA and potentially a handful of international route authorities.
    I am assuming you mean...reduction....that's interesting since they have just increased their presence in DCA.....and wondering about Philly since they just enlarged the F terminal....

Oh, and I hope there won't be anything done in Aruba........Yikes!!!!
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

Quote Originally Posted by danadog56 View Post
    I am assuming you mean...reduction....that's interesting since they have just increased their presence in DCA.....and wondering about Philly since they just enlarged the F terminal....

Is Philly a larger hub for US Air than Charlotte?

Quote Originally Posted by Arubalisa View Post
    Don't know if Philly is a larger hub for USAir than Charlotte, but USAir really 'owns' Philly. They have most of the gates, and are the only airline that flies nonstops to Aruba, but only on weekends, and they gouge you for fares. We usually fly out of Philly due to convenience, but this coming trip will be driving to Newark to save a ton of $$$ per ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by Barblepa View Post
    Don't know if Philly is a larger hub for USAir than Charlotte, but USAir really 'owns' Philly. They have most of the gates, and are the only airline that flies nonstops to Aruba, but only on weekends, and they gouge you for fares. We usually fly out of Philly due to convenience, but this coming trip will be driving to Newark to save a ton of $$$ per ticket.
    It is amazing -- United out of Newark is traditionally less expensive than US Air from Philly. In watching fares for a ticket for my brother for Christmas, United finally went from $2200 to $1200 or $1000 for a late flight. Pulled the trigger last Saturday for PHL-AUA round trip (first class on the flight down) for $1,096.

It is amazing -- United out of Newark is traditionally less expensive than US Air from Philly. In watching fares for a ticket for my brother for Christmas, United finally went from $2200 to $1200 or $1000 for a late flight. Pulled the trigger last Saturday for PHL-AUA round trip (first class on the flight down) for $1,096.
    Arubalisa, do you use one of the fare alert search engines to keep your eye on the prices? I've been using Yapta and really like them. They are very quick to notify you of a change in fare prices......much quicker than the other fare alert sites. The airlines play such games with the airfare prices though. I was getting alerts almost every day with increases, and then it really dropped and I bought the tickets. We usually pay around $700 for PHL-AUA (Coach). Upcoming trip in May, EWR-AUA for $462. Haven't paid in the $400's for airfare for many, many years. We'll see how we like flying out of EWR. At least United has nonstops to AUA every day and not just weekends like USAir.

Quote Originally Posted by Barblepa View Post
    Arubalisa, do you use one of the fare alert search engines to keep your eye on the prices?
    I was using kayak but really like Google Flight Search. Since it has to be checked manually, I just got into the habit of checking each morning when checking my email and then sometimes at night before bedtime. Now that our family has their flights from three separate departure cities, we never look back. Compared to what we paid for Christmas '07 & '09 to Aruba, the fares this year were very "fair".

Quote Originally Posted by danadog56 View Post

When US Airways acquired the extra DCA slots from Delta, they were required to sell a number of the slots. I would expect that the entire AA portfolio of slots at DCA will have to be sold off as well. The F terminal in Philly was not enlarged at all, at least in terms of gates. In fact, there are a number of gates that have been rendered unusable due to the construction and at least one or two may not be available after the construction. They just took down the walls that blocked off the bus lobby area the other day and it looks beautiful in there. Hopefully the new restaurants are up and running soon.

No, Charlotte is larger in terms of departures per day and I believe market share as well. Philadelphia does have a larger local market though.

[QUOTE=Chadd;242872]When US Airways acquired the extra DCA slots from Delta, they were required to sell a number of the slots. I would expect that the entire AA portfolio of slots at DCA will have to be sold off as well. The F terminal in Philly was not enlarged at all, at least in terms of gates. In fact, there are a number of gates that have been rendered unusable due to the construction and at least one or two may not be available after the construction. They just took down the walls that blocked off the bus lobby area the other day and it looks beautiful in there. Hopefully the new restaurants are up and running soon.[/QUOTE
    Chadd does this mean AA service from DCA will no longer be? We have lots of miles that I really don't want to go to waste. AA from DCA has been great the last few years for pricing and convenience
    Not sure when, but we will be back

Quote Originally Posted by Traceyd14 View Post
    Chadd does this mean AA service from DCA will no longer be? We have lots of miles that I really don't want to go to waste. AA from DCA has been great the last few years for pricing and convenience
    No, it just means that the new AA (US/AA combined) will not be able to offer as many flights per day as they do now. Most likely, it will mean that they cut a few flights to cities with a lot of service and use bigger airplanes on those flights. Remember, all of the current US flights will be available to you as an AA frequent flyer member once the merger is complete. As long as the new company can make money flying to a city, they will most likely continue to fly there.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast