Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: AAA Aruba Airport Authority now recommends 4 hrs.

Wonder if the airline ticket counters will open 4 hours early. Last week the ticket counter was not open until 3 hours before even though the customs lines were long. Their flights were all delayed.

Good point! My flight leaves at 2:00pm which means 4 hours early is 10:00am but will Delta check in be open at that time. Also I know there is a rule that some airlines have where they will not accept luggage 3 hours prior to your flight.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by ace2063 View Post
    Good point! My flight leaves at 2:00pm which means 4 hours early is 10:00am but will Delta check in be open at that time. Also I know there is a rule that some airlines have where they will not accept luggage 3 hours prior to your flight.
    Maybe call Delta's local number to find out what time their check-in at the airport opens?

The Aruban government should throw US customs out on its *ss. Close US customs and let us fly to the US and go through customs there.
    Please contact via e-mail at arubarennowner@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by rob o View Post
    The Aruban government should throw US customs out on its *ss. Close US customs and let us fly to the US and go through customs there.
    Is there a contract good through a certain date? If Aruba is losing visitors due to US Customs problems, I can only imagine they will only put up with it for so long.
    Not sure when, but we will be back

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    I agree with rob o. my only question is, is all the time that its taking with US Customs only? I mean if it takes 2 hours with US Custom and 2 hours going through check in and Aruba Security, then there's a big problem all over the airport. Or is it taking like half an hour through everything and then 3.5 hours with US Custom? In other words, are people flying to other countries, not the US, getting through quickly and its only US Citizens who need the 4 hours? The AAA recommendation of 4 hours, is that for US Citizens only???? if 75% of the 4 hours is with US Customs, kick them out. It sure doesn't take that long here in the states. But if its 50/50, then everybody at the airport needs to get their act together.

Last Friday we were at the Delta ticket counter at 10:30 a.m. for the 2:10 flight to JFK. The ticket counter did not open until 11:15. The flight left 2 hours late. However, the JetBlue 12:45 flight to Boston was on time, but the JetBlue 2:00 flight to Boston was an hour late leaving Aruba. I think there are too many flights leaving at the same time in the afternoon.

playa linda, aruba beach club, wacky wahoos, driftwood,french steakhouse, any happy hour
    simple solution. Rob is right, Throw us customs out on their arse . You'll eliminate 2 hours of tiring aggravation in exchange for a few minutes at us customs. When you arrive in the us you have to retrieve your bag at a carousel, get in a 2 minute line, asked if your bringing a live dinosaur into the country, say no , get your passport stamped and off you go.
    Last edited by paulmorin; 04-06-2013 at 09:42 AM.

During our Christmas trip, the line to Aruba Customs and Aruba security was "like I have never seen before"! First line was past where you go into the airport/departures and wrapped around twice. Once you finally got through the actual Aruba customs agent, the line was backed up three fold almost to the sliding doors for security screening. So to answer some of the questions above, it is not only slow at US Customs. Part of the issue is the security screening has only a limited number of screeners/machines that are available to be used during peak travel periods. Both US and Aruba.

For a person who travels to Aruba on non direct flights, for which there are many, eliminating US Customs would create more headaches than perhaps people are thinking about. As Sugar stated, scattering of flights better so not so many leave at the same time would help but many people are trying to get connections. When we travel via Charlotte, we have 70 minutes to make a connection, if we had to go through customs then this would be impossible. If we travel via Philadelphia then we have 2 hours and that would be still tough to make a connection if going through customs and changing terminals. With connections and having to go through US Customs in the US we would need to collect our bags, take them with us through customs, put them back on the conveyor to get onto the second flight, GO THROUGH SECURITY AGAIN, and then hope to get to the gate. All in all, that might take about 2 hours...trust me I have done this when we used to fly Air Canada through Toronto.
    What would happen is that many people would not be able to make connection times, either they would miss flights (that is what happened to us more than 50% of the time when we traveled through Toronto where we would have to clear customs, etc) or only option would be to spend an extra night at an airport hotel. If you know that you couldn't get home all in one day, I think many people would also opt to find another vacation destination. Many people do not have the luxury of flying to Aruba on direct flights. So as frustrating as this is, the solution IS NOT to eliminate US Customs in Aruba but work to make things better.

First off, obviously, the ticket counters need to open earlier since they won't put more staff on. Reality is that the staff that work the counters do not generally work at lightning speed to get people through the lines quickly. Moving people through Aruba customs more quickly would help too. There are more US Customs agents then Aruba Custom agents so backlog starts at the top. Making the duty free and restaurants prior to US Customs was ridiculous. I always advise people NOT to stop there as you have no idea how long it will take you to get through the second half of the process. This whole area should have been after US customs, instead we get very limited choices at the gate. As stated more screening machines and employees at both customs would also help improve the slow process.
    Three hours in long to have people arrive at the airport but four hours is not reasonable. The situation needs fixing and fast but not by removing the US Customs option.
    happiness is going to Aruba with your adult kids because they still want to come with their parents

Aruba since 1979
    please, so that i do not have to do "moderating/editing/deleting" and keeping in line with the way the forum operates, i request that political discussion be left out of the mix.

thanks

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast