Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Adopting dogs from Aruba

me1

Adopting dogs from Aruba

Has anyone flown Air Tran recently from Aruba and transported small dogs as carry on. I called yesterday and was told they do not transport any pets internationally either as baggage or carry-on.

Aruba since 1979
    welcome to the aruba.com community forum.

i would call air tran again and ask for customer service.
    on our flight home in december there was a pup in a carrier under my seat.

per their website:

Can I travel with a pet?

Small, domesticated cats, dogs and birds that will fit in an approved carrier under the seat are accepted for travel.

The pet kennel is limited to maximum dimensions of 8.5" high x 17" long x 12" wide.
    The carrier must be leak proof and ventilated on at least two sides.
    There is no weight restriction on pets.
    The pet must remain in the carrier and under the seat for the duration of the flight.
    The pet carrier counts as either a passenger's one (1) carry-on bag or personal item.
    Airfare for a pet is $69 one-way and is non-refundable. Six (6) pets are allowed per flight with a limit of one (1) pet per paying customer traveling on the same flight.

As limited space is available, advanced reservations must be made. Of course, service animals (e.g., Seeing Eye dogs) are always welcome onboard AirTran Airways regardless of the number of pets already booked on the flight.

Customers traveling with birds to San Juan, Puerto Rico must present required documentation — a certificate and a permit.

Certificate — The certificate must be issued by a veterinarian within 30 days of travel
    Permit — The permit is granted by the Department of Agriculture in Puerto Rico. Request a permit by telephone at 787-796-1650 or 787-796-1835.
    For additional information about traveling with a bird, contact your veterinarian, the US Department of Agriculture or your destination state's Department of Agriculture.

For additional information about traveling with a pet or to book pet travel, please contact the AirTran Airways reservations desk at 1-800-AIR-TRAN (1-800-247-8726) or 678-254-7999 for international calls.

In many airports, AirTran Airways sells pet kennels for a nominal fee at the ticket counter. AirTran Airways does not transport pets as checked baggage.
    Last edited by Andrea J.; 06-23-2011 at 02:17 PM.

me1
    Thank you. I had heard different reports about Air Tran and pets. I will try again today. Too many animals not to try.

me1
    Called again and talked to a supervisor and he said that theydo not transport pets on any of their international flights. Asked if things have changes since May when they merged with Southwest and he said no. Don't understand this, but can't do anything about it. Airlines is already booked. This is bad for all the stray puppies and dogs in Aruba that could use a new home and a new life. Will have to choose another airlines next time.

Aruba since 1979
    well that is disappointing and unfortunate.
    i wonder why they changed their policy.

I love the beach (who doesn't?), anywhere that I can snorkel, The Donkey Sanctuary (much to the dismay of my daughter), the lighthouse.
    You could always post a query on this site for anyone returning to your home city on another airline. I brought a kitty home last year for a family from New Jersey, and it was a very rewarding experience. Due to my husband's severe allergies, I cannot have cats :-( but I do love them!

me1
    I am not actually adopting a puppie from Aruba I just wanted to help Aruba Relief Foundation (ARF)by bringing one or two back to the states and hope to get them adopted here. They have such a huge dog and cat issue there. I just feel so bad when the stray dogs come to the resorts and I know they might be picked up the next day and put down. I can't bring an adult back but I could help with a puppie or two. I finally called the baggage department of Air Tran and the clerk there told me yes they do transport puppies international as long as Aruba gives them a certificate. But I was afraid to try because of all the other people that I talked to that said no. I don't want to hold up everyone in my party while they get things straigtened out. Next time it will not be Air Tran. If everyone would bring a kitten or puppie home, wouldn't that be wonderful?

Quote Originally Posted by me1 View Post
    If everyone would bring a kitten or puppie home, wouldn't that be wonderful?
    Not really. In fact, it would be extremely bad for animals in shelters here in the US.

Most parts of the US already have issues with an overabundance of cats and dogs that need homes. Go to your local shelter and you will see how badly homes are needed for those animals.

It's one thing to bring back an animal that you, or someone else, has fallen in love with. It's something else to bring one back hoping to find a home.

I have to agree with Chadd. We met a beautiful feline on the beach at the Radisson. Someone at a local business is feeding the cat. The cat drinks water from the fresh water shower. I just wish I had had the ability to capture the cat and take he/she to be altered and return her to her beach.

Neutering and spaying is the true solution to a huge problem, whether it be Aruba, the U.S. or any place else.

Yes, anyone interested in helping animals should always check with their local shelter by adopting, volunteering, or through donations of towels, food, and/or cash. Local shelters frequently have many adult dogs, cats and kittens - some even have parrots, other birds, domestic rodents, reptiles and there are a few I am aware of that even have horses, donkeys, goats, pigs, geese, ducks, etc. for adoption.
    Our mission to help the dogs and cats of Aruba is two-fold. One, there is an over-population of them on the Island and if they are unwanted, many go to the KILL cages. Healthy, sweet adult dogs, cats, little pups and kittens are killed every day in Aruba , as many as 8000 to 9000 a year. We definitely do our best to spay/neuter as many as we can - our volunteer list is growing and we have been able to sterilize a good number this year. However, many pups and kittens are born daily and these sweet little creatures need loving homes. Our mission is to find them good, loving homes (similar to the Sato dogs of Puerto Rico).
    Second, an overpopulation of animals on the Island is a health hazard not only to the animals but for the humans, as well. Many tourists have been quite upset by seeing so many skinny, homeless dogs and cats and want to help. In this way, they are giving something back to the Island they love to visit so much. Certainly a donation to spay/neuter is one way to help. Another way is to adopt.
    Please don't discourage people from adopting an Aruba animal - each one of us has our own desires and our own ways of wanting to help, be it through adoption or some other way. Would you discourage people from adopting a child in need from another country? We are all meant to do something special therefore, let each person or family make that choice for themselves. Every family that has adopted one of our Aruba pups or kittens has told us that they are the sweetest and gentlest animals and they are a joy to their lives. We at ARFaruba feel that we can help 4 paws at a time and that each animal ends up where it is suppose to be and with that very special person or family where they belong.
    Today, I rescued nine pups from the killing cages - they are all absolutely beautiful - I could not let them be killed and I know that each one will find a home and be a blessing to someone's life. If you would like to help, please visit our website at www.ARFaruba.com Thank you......Cheryl for ARFaruba
    Last edited by Cheryl; 07-04-2011 at 03:21 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast