Aruba Beach

Thread: Aerosol sunscreen in checked baggage?

Aerosol sunscreen in checked baggage?

It's been a loooong time since we've gone anywhere warm so I'm a bit out of touch with TSA regulations. Are we allowed to pack our sunscreen in checked baggage? It's the spray kind in an aerosol can. I would hate to have to buy it there since we already have it. I went on the TSA site and they say no aerosols, but from previous posts a lot of people say to bring your sunscreen.

Thanks....8 days from today!!

Any Aruba beach...
    Aerosol spray lotions are pemitted in that they are considered a toiletry/personal item. Their definition is something which can be sprayed on your body.

It IS permitted in your checked bag. Make sure the cap is on.
    For added protection, any toiletries, including bottles of sunscreen, I always place into a Ziploc bag in case their is leakage. In over a dozen trips I have had leaks maybe 2 or 3 times.

There is some excellent information starting here in this thread

Quote Originally Posted by AhhAruba View Post
    Last year I took several cans of aerosol sunscreen in an SPF higher than I would normally wear. I thought I was pretty liberal with it and found I got burned worse than normal. I wondered if it was the wind blowing the spray and not getting enough applied or if it is really not very good for sunscreen.

What kind of sunscreen works best for you in Aruba?
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    the wind could have been a factor and not enough got applied.

start out the day by spraying yourself before you put on your bathingsuit.

if you look at the first ingredient of the spray aerosols it is ALCOHOL, which is very drying and really not good for your skin.

the lotions or creams do provide good coverage.

we start out by a spray down and then adding an spf lotion during the day.
    Quote Originally Posted by qlaval View Post
    Applying Sunscreen Properly
    Most people use sunscreen improperly by not applying enough. They apply only 25% to 50% of the recommended amount. Sunscreen should be applied liberally enough to all sun-exposed areas that it forms a film when initially applied. It takes 20-30 minutes for sunscreen to be absorbed by the skin, so it should be applied at least a half an hour before going out in the sun. Sunscreen should also be the last product applied especially on the face since some sunscreens can break down in the presence of water contained in water-based foundations and moisturizers.

Reapplying Sunscreen
    Most instructions on sunscreen labels recommend reapplying sunscreen "frequently", but the definition of "frequently" is vague. A common instruction is to reapply sunscreen after 2-4 hours in the sun. However, one study has shown that reapplying sunscreen 20 to 30 minutes after being in the sun is more effective than waiting 2 hours. It is possible that this time period is more effective because most people do not apply enough sunscreen initially, and this second application approximates the actual amount needed. Sunscreen should also be reapplied after swimming, excessive sweating, or toweling.

Sunscreen and Insect Repellents
    Insect repellents reduce the sunscreen's SPF by up to one-third. When using sunscreen and insect repellent together, a higher SPF should be used and reapplied more often.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    i spray myself everyday that i plan to be outdoors in the sun.
    paul and i are heading to the pool in ah hour and i just sprayed myself.

i spray myself in the bathrooms and never seem to notice any mess.

it get on ME, nothing else.
    Quote Originally Posted by arubaro View Post
    I don't notice a mess with the spray either. I alternate between the spray and a lotion. But the best advice is to apply at least 1/2 hour ahead of time and keep up with it. Sometimes even earlier than 1/2 hour.

About 10 years ago, I started getting these red itchy bumps after being in the sun for a while. If I scratched them, they got worse. I tried everything under the sun (haha) and learned to be very careful. I'm not a fair person, I'm Italian and have darker skin than many. This only happened in Aruba - I'm not sure why. A few years ago, Eucerin came out with an ad that said, "if you were meant to have bumps when you're in the sun, God would have made you a raspberry", lol. It was like they were talking to ME. They said to start using the stuff 2-3 DAYS before you started sitting in the sun to build up the SPF on your skin. So everyday after my shower, I'd apply a light amount especially on my "bump-prone" areas. And it worked like a charm. I was bumpless the entire 3 weeks in Aruba. It was the best stuff ever, Eucerin Daily Defense, SPF 30. Of course, after that year I couldn't find it anymore, anywhere. But I use the same principle of starting to apply it days before our trip, and it seems to work with any sunscreen. Just thought I'd share.

Last edited by Arubalisa; 02-19-2012 at 01:59 PM.