Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Airfare Constantly Changes

Airfare Constantly Changes

I'm amaze on how airfare can change so drastically. I was reviewing a flight to Aruba from NY which the other day was like $450 one way. Today it was $238 but only 1 seat available. I priced other dates and then went back to the flight that offered only 1 seat at $238 and now there were 5 seats available at $238.00. Amazing! The round trip was around $900 the other day and now like $700. Tomorrow or 1 hour from now it will be a different price. This is on jet blue.

I saw a show on TV once where they were explaining that they use very sophisticated computer program that changes the prices depending on how many seats are booked on that flight for that day. Sometimes if you happen to be on at the right time you can get a super cheap fare but it doesn't last long. Twice I saw mint for $445 one way when they were selling them for $1345 one way but the offer lasted 1 hour in both instances. One time I remember some passengers I think on United got round trip airfare for like $35 which was a computer glitch but they had to honor it.

My motto is that if you see a great bargain, book it right away if you are sure of your travel dates because it won't last. Except I have to confirm the hotel first and then I book the airfare but it doesn't hurt to look and see what the airfare is.

I just checked in the hopes that JetBlue made my trip in Feb reasonable, but not yet. I don't mind booking my hotel and waiting. I travel during the school breaks so I always pay extra....I will book my air within the next month. I check daily. I am hoping for about 1100 per person, sadly. I prefer to only fly direct but wont pay what they are currently asking so I may be flying direct down, southwest back...or something like that. Coming out of Boston in the winter I won't risk missing a connecting flight. I also won't pay 4500 or so for 3 people when I can travel for less on other airlines, the downfall is the arrival time and missing a connecting flight, so I will only connect on the way home... I will wait it out, lol.
    Last edited by Aruba4ever; 09-14-2016 at 10:18 PM.

We travel non-stop from Boston in Jan/Feb. I aim for $600. RT per person.

I usually have booked the outbound leg of the trip in spring/summer but I just finalized our travel dates today. Not sure what to expect. On checking this afternoon, I saw a RT of about $900. I have to do better than that.

Oops, just checked again (11:15 PM EDT) RT with one bag $786.
    Last edited by AndyM; 09-14-2016 at 11:17 PM.

Crazy - I've always thought it has a lot to do with how many people are searching that particular flight too. I worry about clicking on the same flight over & over & jacking the price!
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

I'm the opposite. I can almost always find accommodations to fit my budget, but not always airfare. If I see a great flight fare, I book it then find lodging. I'm the travel agent in my house (haha) and I've been known to have my husband on one top checking hotels while I'm on the other laptop searching for a way to get there. I think the airlines have some economic principles nailed. Demand high, prices go up; no demand, they lower prices to attract buyers.

[QUOTE=ArubaAce;304542]I'm amaze on how airfare can change so drastically. I was reviewing a flight to Aruba from NY which the other day was like $450 one way. Today it was $238 but only 1 seat available. I priced other dates and then went back to the flight that offered only 1 seat at $238 and now there were 5 seats available at $238.00. Amazing! The round trip was around $900 the other day and now like $700. Tomorrow or 1 hour from now it will be a different price. This is on jet blue.

I saw a show on TV once where they were explaining that they use very sophisticated computer program that changes the prices depending on how many seats are booked on that flight for that day. Sometimes if you happen to be on at the right time you can get a super cheap fare but it doesn't last long. Twice I saw mint for $445 one way when they were selling them for $1345 one way but the offer lasted 1 hour in both instances. One time I remember some passengers I think on United got round trip airfare for like $35 which was a computer glitch but they had to honor it.

My motto is that if you see a great bargain, book it right away if you are sure of your travel dates because it won't last. Except I have to confirm the hotel first and then I book the airfare but it doesn't hurt to look and see what the airfare is.[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by AUA1989 View Post
    I'm the opposite. I can almost always find accommodations to fit my budget, but not always airfare. If I see a great flight fare, I book it then find lodging.
    We do the same. We always book airfare first when I see a good deal. Accommodations for most destinations are the easy part.
    ~Amy~
    "The happiness of your life depends upon the quality of your thoughts." - - Marcus Aurelius

Playa del Carmen, MX: March 2017
    34th trip to Aruba: May 2017
    Munich, Salzburg, Prague: June/July 2017
    35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018

I really like to book around the same time, but it does end up biting me sometimes. If I see a good timeshare and can match decent flights, I go for both. I set a total budget for flight and room cost so if the flight is a little higher, but I find a great deal on the room I'm okay. I wish I had the patience to wait until the last minute. Um always so nervous the flight will go up and cancel out the savings I found on the timeshare rental. This time we booked Southwest and the price has dropped $110 per person, not only that the room next door to the one we rented is now posted for $100 less. So because I just wanted everything booked, I spent $320 more than necessary.
    It's all a balancing act for me low price room + decent airfare - level of patience = a forever changing dilemma!
    7 trips in and still finding things to love. #8 will be great in November!

Next summer my trip will revolve around air. I will go whenever my points get me the biggest bang for my buck.

Quote Originally Posted by Aruba4ever View Post
    Next summer my trip will revolve around air. I will go whenever my points get me the biggest bang for my buck.
    Plan on traveling in the middle of the week.

Unfortunately because I trade my timeshare in Kissimee to Aruba I never know what dates are going to be confirmed so I can't take a chance on booking the airfare ahead. Also I have flex week available with Interval to trade but I can only use it within 59 days of the date I want to travel. So if I see a great timeshare exchange for Nov 19th I can't book it yet so I can't take a chance with the airfare. i missed quite a few deals on exchange and airfare but we will see what happens when my exchange window opens up for the dates I'm interested in.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast