Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Airfare question for those with fixed week timeshares

Airfare question for those with fixed week timeshares

I know some of you owned fixed week timeshares with specific check in days. How has this worked out for you as far as airfare? Have you had years where you got stuck paying a much higher rate? How do you handle it? Do you add on dates, try to rent out your unit, or something else?

I saw a good deal on a timeshare we would use, but having fixed dates makes me nervous.
    Not sure when, but we will be back

I'm interested to know the answer to this too. One of the reasons we bought a "seasonal" timeshare was because of airfare and availability concerns. Another was being able to fit a vacation in around my work schedule.

Aruba since 1979
    we had issues re: fixed weeks.
    we had originally bought our fixed weeks for christmas and for end of the summer.
    well, our school district changed their start date and schools went back prior to labor day so that was problematic for us interfering with aruba trip.

the airfares for weeks 51 and 52 became unaffordable for us.
    we began renting out those weeks.

we then turned some other fixed week units into Bluegreen points (before Bluegreen began charging huge prices to do that) and found that works better for us.

maintenance fees are a killer for us though.

we rent our fixed weeks.
    we book Bluegreen units and then rent those too.

typically when we go to aruba we may use one of our units (Bluegreen at Lacabana) or an Interval trade, or rent.

fixed dates did not work well for us. when it did work well (1998 - 2002) we always did an add on pre timeshare stay to make the airfare a bit less expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Traceyd14 View Post
    I know some of you owned fixed week timeshares with specific check in days. How has this worked out for you as far as airfare? Have you had years where you got stuck paying a much higher rate? How do you handle it? Do you add on dates, try to rent out your unit, or something else?

I saw a good deal on a timeshare we would use, but having fixed dates makes me nervous.

Thanks for your response, Andrea. We want to keep renting but then I see great prices that I know we would use and it gets me thinking again. It sounds like for a foxed week you have to be willing to do the rent/trade thing when circumstances change. I really just like the idea of knowing we always have a trip booked. For now we shall rent and remain on the fence.
    Not sure when, but we will be back

We've usually rented, then looked for airfare. It was never a problem till the airfares skyrocketed recently. Last year we added one day, rented two room at Divi Dutch Village which was MUCH less expense than the difference between airfare for the 5 of us.

This year we plan to do the same - add on day(s) to help reduce the airfare.
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Eagle Beach, Baby Beach, Arashi Beach Tierra Del Sol golf course
    We don't own in Aruba but do trade our Vegas week for a place on Aruba. The first few times we only stayed a week. After that it has been 10 to 14 days. We found that sometimes it was cheaper to fly on days other than the dates of our trades which are always Friday, Saturday or Sunday. We also found that while Fridays and Saturdays seem to be the most expensive days to go to Aruba, they are not always the most expensive days to leave Aruba. Sundays are hit or miss both ways. By adding 2 to 5 days on to our trip we have been able to save enough on air fare to pay for a couple of nights rooms at other hotels or resorts. If you check around you can find some decent room rates for those extra days. I would rather fly cheaper and stay longer. Sometimes we just rent another week from an owner at Costa Linda, Renaissance, Playa Linda or Aruba Beach Club. Even found some good deals at Divi Phoenix and Surf Club in the past. Flexability and research can make a huge difference.

Agree...flexibility is the key for cost savings on airfare. We just booked our airfare for our upcoming trip next October. We were shooting for 17-19 days, which fit our commitments at home. I took what came to us at $419pp round trip with one stop. If we had booked an extra day on either end it would have been an extra $100+pp..We secured our rental car with Wheels2go. Now we just have to decide where we're going to stay.
    TRIP 15 OCTOBER 2018

OUR COUPLE'S RETREAT. THE PEARL CONDO HOTEL AT EAGLE BEACH. CONDO ACCOMMODATES TWO ADULTS. YOU MUST REQUEST UNIT #8. https://photos.app.goo.gl/lRquP1F4VtxyZhR42 RENTING DIRECTLY THROUGH http://www.thepearlaruba.com/.

Adding on a day or two is the answer if you can. This trip Sun to Sun quoted phenomenal fare going, but return much higher. As my sister in law stated logically spend extra nights in Aruba instead of feeding the airline. Brilliant.
    Departure date on Tue, super affordable and renting ended up being less than returning on Sun. Plus bonus days in Aruba,
    no brainer for us with date flexibility.

Aruba since 1979
    Yup!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by disneyfan View Post
    adding on a day or two is the answer if you can. This trip sun to sun quoted phenomenal fare going, but return much higher. As my sister in law stated logically spend extra nights in aruba instead of feeding the airline. Brilliant.
    Departure date on tue, super affordable and renting ended up being less than returning on sun. Plus bonus days in aruba,
    no brainer for us with date flexibility.

One of the benefits of fixed weeks is that you see the same folks every year. We have forged some friendships that extend beyond our Aruba visits. We've exchanged summertime visits with a couple from Chicago.

We've had two consecutive fixed weeks, week #4 and #5, for about 14-15 years. As with any vacation plan there are pluses and minuses. We really like these weeks because it breaks up the misery and cold of winter.

As far as airfare, I start shopping early and track prices until I get what I want. We travel Sunday to Sunday non-stop from Boston. I've always been able to get our tickets for less than $600.PP on Jet Blue (the only non-stop). For our Jan/Feb trip I start shopping air fares in May or June. JB plays with the prices. When the price for one leg goes down, the other is quite high. As a result, I've found buying the legs separately gives the best result. I have the time to follow prices daily.

Saturdays are the busiest day by far at the airport. Sundays are also busy but not nearly as bad. If you're used to weekday travel, you'll notice the difference. It's never been an issue for us. DW's job always restricted our plans so weekend travel worked best for us.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast