Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Airfares sky high in August. Isn't August considered low season?

Airfares sky high in August. Isn't August considered low season?

I was fortunate to book a flight from JFK to Aruba(direct) for just over $500. (leaving early in the morning) However I had to do a lot of searching on booking buddy, for over a week, to find the low fare.

Most of the fares I came accross were between $720.-$850.;with connections and sometimes long layovers.

Why are Airfares so high in August?

Even in the wintertime during "high" season I can often find tickets in the low $400.'s.

Why is that?

Aruba since 1979
    supply/demand
    summer in aruba is actually quite busy.

lots of reasons, but primarily , folks love to take summer holidays!
    folks from all over the world love to visit aruba during the summer.
    kids are off school and makes a perfect time to take the family on a beach vacation.

Quote Originally Posted by vincep View Post
    I was fortunate to book a flight from JFK to Aruba(direct) for just over $500. (leaving early in the morning) However I had to do a lot of searching on booking buddy, for over a week, to find the low fare.

Most of the fares I came accross were between $720.-$850.;with connections and sometimes long layovers.

Even in the wintertime during "high" season I can often find tickets in the low $400.'s.

Why is that?

Quote Originally Posted by vincep View Post

Why is that?
    Most of the airlines have cut back on the number of flights to Aruba over the last 24 months or so. A $400 round trip to Aruba is a loss for most airlines. especially with fuel prices where they are now.

Quote Originally Posted by Chadd View Post
    Most of the airlines have cut back on the number of flights to Aruba over the last 24 months or so. A $400 round trip to Aruba is a loss for most airlines. especially with fuel prices where they are now.
    According to my searches, next month the prices go back down again.

They were also much cheaper in July.

...and unless you are flying August 28 or later, you are past the cut off for a 21 day advance purchase fare price.

Using Google's flight search, looking quickly jet blue has some flights about $610, but of course for your dates you would need to be REALLY flexible. That was by far the cheapest fare.
    Last edited by Arubalisa; 08-06-2013 at 04:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Arubalisa View Post
    ...and unless you are flying August 28 or later, you are past the cut off for a 21 day advance purchase fare price.

Using Google's flight search, looking quickly jet blue has some flights about $610, but of course for your dates you would need to be REALLY flexible. That was by far the cheapest fare.

I've done estensive flight searches with Cheap Tickets, Priceline.com, Travelocity, CheapoAir etc.

I started searching on and off over a month ago. I originally was going to Aruba last month, then some things came up. Throughout July tickets were bewteen $450-500, then they just shot up for the month of August. They seem to drop off again in September.

I consider myself very lucky that I found a flight for $520.00 direct through CheapOair. I have to be at the Airport very early in the morning but so what. That's more time in Aruba.

Aruba since 1979
    getting back to your title of this thread......
    LOW season is
    Day after Labor Day til the Thursday before Thanksgiving.
    and The Sunday after Thanksgiving til the Friday before Christmas or Dec 22 whichever comes first.

Low also Last week of April thru late May.

Busy times....Memorial Day Weekend thru Labor Day Weekend and 1st 3 weeks of Jan not including Jan 1 or 2.
    Very Busy times Dec 23 thru Jan Jan 2 and Late Jan thru Mid/late-April

Others may disagree with my dates and the dates could be tweaked a bit.

Bottom line in your case, August is busy "summer travel"

I always suggest for folks to begin their air search at least 7 mos out and to pull the trigger "buy" at a price that you feel that you can accept.
    JB does issue credits to be used at another time if your flight has dropped in price.
    It is a win win. It gives passengers a break and it guarantees (sort of) that the passenger will come back to JB for their next flight.

I think this timeframe is the last "hurrah" for families to vacation before school starts up again. Some even start now in late August. It was the same with St. Martin. We recently returned in July. Back in Jan. 2013 I booked our timeshare and I chose tuesday-tuesday to perhaps get a lower airfare. That idea "boomeranged" as someone stated they had less flights going to St. martin that day and the weekend which drove prices Higher. I looked constantly and finally found something one day one a.m. for in the $400 bracket. I grabbed it. That p.m. that same flight coming and going was back up to the mid $500 then $600. You have to look and check constantly even the sights like Kayak by the time you get the email and go in the flights can change back again. BTW this flight to and from St. Martin was stopping both way there was no non stop from EWR. on a tuesday. We flew Jet Blue. A total disaster. On the way back our flight was delayed 5 hours leaving SXM to go to Puerto Rico. A 35 minute flight! Delayed for no reason actually. (no bad weather anywhere.) We as a result missed our flight from PR to EWR there is only one per day which again is a problem flying in the summe to the Caribbean. fewer flights driving costs up. So what happens:

They put us on a flight to JFK which got in at 11:30 at night. They said you will have to "find a way back to EWR." they had no flights doing there from JFK. EWR is where our car is---we had to catch a bus from JFK go to Grand Central station in New York City. Change buses, (did I mention it is now nearly 1 a.m. in the a.m.?) We travel through downtown new york city times square the only 2 fools on the bus!! We finally get to newark. Call the car company to come get us. We get home at 4 a.m. !! I am not a fan of Jet Blue needless to say. But we laughed about it. What can you do but laugh when it is 2 a.m. in and you are riding around on a bus in Times Square---the othe option Jet Blue gave us was to stay overnight in San Juan and fly out the next day at there only flight out @ 4:20 p.m. DH wanted to get home. He had work the next day.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    getting back to your title of this thread......
    LOW season is

Busy times....Memorial Day Weekend thru Labor Day Weekend and 1st 3 weeks of Jan not including Jan 1 or 2.
    Very Busy times Dec 23 thru Jan Jan 2 and Late Jan thru Mid/late-April

I hear everything you are saying and it makes perfect sense. I was basing my thought of August being low season on the facts that the hotels and resorts list the summer, more specifically August, as "low" season. That and the fact that I assumed that few people would want to travel to a warm place in the summer. I'm going to Aruba in August because i'm on a mission, I would much prefer to go there when it's late fall, winter and early spring.

Aruba since 1979
    Vince please tell my husband I make perfect sense
    sorry off topic

now time to get back re: airlines and their puzzling ways.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast