Aruba Beach

Thread: Airline Question....Pesticides on Flights

Airline Question....Pesticides on Flights

Hey all! I was wondering if any of you could give me any information on the use of pesticides on flights? I have heard that certain international flights require that all planes be sprayed with pesticides each time they leave and enter a foreign country. I have a family member who is highly allergic to pesticides and I can't seem to find any information on this. I have heard horror stories about people flying to places like Jamaica and Australia, but never Aruba. US Airways can't seem to give me any information. Do any of you know anything about this? The family member is terrified with things she has read, etc... and I am trying to find all the information I can for her. Thanks so much in advance!

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    Marinewifetobe.....I wouldn't let this go with US Air, I would continue to pursue it with them. They know what they do with their planes..........

Aruba since 1979
    I would contact the FAA and the NTSB.

I love to see real thought provoking questions on this board!
    andrea

Quote Originally Posted by marinewifetobe View Post
    Hey all! I was wondering if any of you could give me any information on the use of pesticides on flights? I have heard that certain international flights require that all planes be sprayed with pesticides each time they leave and enter a foreign country. I have a family member who is highly allergic to pesticides and I can't seem to find any information on this. I have heard horror stories about people flying to places like Jamaica and Australia, but never Aruba. US Airways can't seem to give me any information. Do any of you know anything about this? The family member is terrified with things she has read, etc... and I am trying to find all the information I can for her. Thanks so much in advance!

When I googled this site came up first.

Other site I read Aruba was not mentioned. Specific Airlines were also not mentioned.
    Eagle Beach Boy
    Ontario, Canada

There is a study on pesticides used on planes (called disinsection) dated 2007. It is a very technical study but does list some of the specific pesticides used. There are a number of countries that require "disinsection" including Australia and Jamaica but Aruba is not listed as one of the countries that requires this.
    The PDF study can be found at http://www.dhs.ca.gov/OHB/ohsep/airc...sinsection.pdf
    Hope this helps.....Cheryl

Thank you so much for all of your answers. I am still waiting to hear back from US Air. I have talked to the international customer service people, customer relations people, and the specific airport and no one can/will give me any information. They act like it's the dumbest question in the world. Oh well....I guess I'll just keep trying! Thanks again!

I would consult with your physician and CDC.
    With the problems all airlines are having I don't think yours is high on the list.

Aruba since 1979
    during this day and age, these issues should able to be researched easily.

with the push of the ENTER key, the customer service dept should be able to see a list of what is used to disinfect-pesticide etc...

i cannot understand why this person is not able to get an answer as to what is being used to "disinfect" the aircraft.

is there any way for you to get in touch with "maintenance dept" of usairways?

andrea

Quote Originally Posted by Arubajoey View Post
    I would consult with your physician and CDC.
    With the problems all airlines are having I don't think yours is high on the list.