Aruba Beach

Thread: Which Airline to use for taking our dog to Aruba?

Which Airline to use for taking our dog to Aruba?

We are planning/hoping to take our dog, a Westie, to Aruba next season.

We will flying from Buffalo and will have to change planes.

Checking the websites of US Air, American, and Delta I find different criteria for size of crate, etc.

What experience with Airlines have you had?
    Eagle Beach Boy
    Ontario, Canada

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    I love westies !!! I can picture one romping around the beach....We have one and she will spend her 2 weeks being boarded while we are gone. Lucky you to take yours !!! My daughters would kill to take ours. Ours is named Morgan and she is 5.

The Beach and love the Aruba Blue Melody and Black Pearl
    Have you checked to make sure that the dog won't be quarentined upon arrival for 30 days? I vaguely remember seeing a post on this.

Eagle Beach Boy - i responded to your question in detail on this subject at the www.aruba-bb.com site but I will also respond here for information purposes for others.
    I have taken my dog Annie to Aruba with me several times. There is no quarantine - she has been to Aruba about 10 times over the past 3 or 4 years.
    First, you need a health certificate from a veterinarian within 5 days of travel along with a Rabies vaccine certificate. US customs also requires that your dog have an identification chip.
    To travel in the passenger compartment, the dog cannot weigh more than 20 pounds and must fit inside an airline aprroved carrier - a Sherpa carrier is approved by most airlines and can be purchased on line. The dog must be able to stand up and turn around in the carrier.
    You must book your dogs passage ahead of time to insure space is available - American Airlines does not allow more than 5 dogs in the cabin, jet blue only allows 4. I don't know about the other airlines but you can go on their websites and do a search "traveling with pets"
    I have never had a problem bringing Annie into Aruba or back into the States. You do have to declare that you have a dog at Aruba customs when you arrive - they check the paperwork. And then when you leave, you have to inform US customs and they check the paperwork closely.
    I have also brought puppies back from Aruba for adoption and have the vets there complete the health certificate - these pups do not have identification chips.
    Our little dog, Annie, travels well - she is used to it so we do not medicate her. She knows that she can take a nap, get some treats, and then she is in Aruba and ready for the sun and a run aroud the pool! However, the vets have suggested using Baby Benedryl 5cc per 12 pound dog to help them sleep through the flight if needed. I have done this with some of the pups and it just makes them a little sleepy and makes them less anxious about the plane noise. Any more questions, Private message me....Cheryl

Quote Originally Posted by Cheryl View Post
    Eagle Beach Boy - i responded to your question in detail on this subject at the www.aruba-bb.com site but I will also respond here for information purposes for others.
    ....Cheryl
    Thanks Cheryl. It was great meeting you in January. Wish we could have talked further.
    Eagle Beach Boy
    Ontario, Canada

Thumbs up

thank you for the information. I also thought that the dogs had to be quarantined.
    Michelle & Mike

consideration for other passengers

I understand that some people would love to travel with their pets but, I don't think that these travelers take other travelers into consideration, especially during air travel where people are confined. There are many people who are allergic to dogs and cats who wind up sitting next to someone with a pet only leaving the allergic person to suffer. People pay a lot of money to travel by air and should not be subjected to such discomfort. I truthfully do not even understand why airlines allow pets in the cabin.

Here is something else to consider, we all know that hotels do not clean the bed spread between each guest stay, so where do you think the dog is sleeping in the hotel room? My guess would be on the foot of the bed! Therefore if you do not want to stay in a room where there has been a pet, make sure you call the hotel ahead of time to find out if they are/are not pet friendly before you book your trip.

Kteacher

I have a different opinion.
    I believe that if you are allergic to a pet you are responsible to notify the company you're traveling with. It should be the airlines choice to allow pets on their plane or not. If no one has a problem with your pet, why not bring your pet to Aruba. You might enjoy your vacation even more knowing your pet is fine right next to you and not with a stranger or some else. There are pet friendly resorts in Aruba.

Most resorts in Aruba actually do clean up the rooms in between guests (if not all). My cousin works as a Housekeeping Manager at the Marriott and she confirms this. I know that at the Amsterdam Manor Resort, a pet friendly resort, they do clean up in between guests as well.

Again this is my opinion. Just enjoy life!

I had a wonderful experience flying with my cat, Vern, to Aruba in January on American Airlines. I have a house here and spend months at a time on the island, so I need to have the little guy with me. As others have said, you will need a health certificate and proof of rabies vaccination from your vet. I've heard several people mention the need for an identification chip, however I haven't found any source online saying it is required. My cat doesn't have one and it was not an issue at immigration. Dogs may have different requirements. When you make your airline reservation, be sure to tell them you're flying with a pet. Your Westie will get his own record locator number for the flight - he is a passenger after all I found a really nice pet carrier here: http://www.sherpapet.com/ The site also has a section (travel > airline) to tell you the different maximum carrier dimensions for each airline.