Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Airport Departure Update

Airport Departure Update

Hi, I just returned home yesterday, Saturday. The much talked about, horrifically depicted and dreaded 3 hour Saturday departure process. I wanted to tell everyone that the only thing horrific about it was that I could have stayed on the beach for an extra 1 1/2 hours. It took 45 minutes from the door of the airport to the gate. Here's how it went: The DePalm bus picked us up from the Holiday Inn at 10:00 for a 1:50 departure. The bus was filled just with Holiday Inn guests so no stops at other hotels. We therefore flew to the airport. 10-15 minutes. Flying United, only 7 people ahead of me to check-in. On to the rest of the insane but very fast moving process. The lines for JetBlue and Delta were extremely long. Those were almost out the door. That may be where the three hours figure in. Random securty checks at the gate. Very few were picked. Well I had no choice in what time to leave the hotel since the DePalm bus was part of the package. I didn't know what to expect and better be safe than sorry. Thanks United Airlines for an efficient check-in process! Great on-time flight, non-stop to Chicago. Carol.

Aruba since 1979
    that is great carol!

many folks do not do as well as you.
    typically there are 2 or 3 AA flights that leave mid or late afternoon as well as Jet Blue, delta and UsAirways.
    if you had gotten to the airport at noon for a 3 pm departure on a saturday it would be slow going. you were there PLENTY early and that is a good thing.
    you were very fortunate indeed.

get some rest and post us a trip report soon!
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Newtoaruba View Post
    Hi, I just returned home yesterday, Saturday. The much talked about, horrifically depicted and dreaded 3 hour Saturday departure process. I wanted to tell everyone that the only thing horrific about it was that I could have stayed on the beach for an extra 1 1/2 hours. It took 45 minutes from the door of the airport to the gate. Here's how it went: The DePalm bus picked us up from the Holiday Inn at 10:00 for a 1:50 departure. The bus was filled just with Holiday Inn guests so no stops at other hotels. We therefore flew to the airport. 10-15 minutes. Flying United, only 7 people ahead of me to check-in. On to the rest of the insane but very fast moving process. The lines for JetBlue and Delta were extremely long. Those were almost out the door. That may be where the three hours figure in. Random securty checks at the gate. Very few were picked. Well I had no choice in what time to leave the hotel since the DePalm bus was part of the package. I didn't know what to expect and better be safe than sorry. Thanks United Airlines for an efficient check-in process! Great on-time flight, non-stop to Chicago. Carol.

I took my guests to the airport on a Tuesday 2 1/2 hours ahead and they just made it to their flight. They said the lines were way backed up just to enter the immigration area (you know to the guy who checks passports outside).

I fly United on Saturday for a 3:20pm flight. Arrived at the airport at 12:20pm. United was empty but Delta and US Air was packed out the door. I figured that we just missed the rush for the Chicago bound flight which left at 2pm and got their just ahead of the rush for the 3:20pm flight. I would rather wait at the other side then "sweat it out" while watching the clock hoping to make it through on time for the flight.

It took us one hour from check in to the point where we needed to drop our bags after US Immigration. We then stood in line to do the security screening for the US security longer than we did for the Aruba security screening.

You never know how long it will take but it is always busier in the afternoon than the morning as you can just compare the number of flights you have leaving.
    happiness is going to Aruba with your adult kids because they still want to come with their parents

Are they still doing pat down searches and hand searches of carry ons when departing Aruba?

They did quickly search my carry on bag but no pat down but I do think they randomly do the pat down.
    happiness is going to Aruba with your adult kids because they still want to come with their parents

Junior Member Jeff of Rochester's Avatar
    Same here...last month we made it through airport security in 30-40 minutes on a Saturday; We did get there at 11:30...
    Next Aruba trip in Jefe of Rochester

We are going to Aruba Thursday-Thursday, are the lines a little more manageable during the work week vs the weekends?

Aruba since 1979
    as different as apples vs oranges.
    typically we travel thurs to thurs.
    the 3 hour rule......well, it can be shrunken a bit.
    2.5 hrs will work.

andrea
    Quote Originally Posted by Divi chic View Post
    We are going to Aruba Thursday-Thursday, are the lines a little more manageable during the work week vs the weekends?

We flew out saturday 3-20 and arrived at the airport @11:50 for a 1:50 flight. Breezed through 1st class check-in, however the lines were outside for Aruba customs. Felt sorry for those folks that had already changed into cool weather clothing.

I think the entire process took roughly 1 hour. we've experienced longer and also shorter times. I believe the bigger factors are your frame of mind; did you have a wonderful vacation, and realizing that the lines, process and wait is what you suffer through to note need to go through US immigration when you land in the US. Been there done that and never in less than and hour!
    Joe & Mimi

LIFE IS GOOD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast