Aruba Beach
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Andrea J.
  • 1 Post By ArubaAce

Thread: Airport Lines for us May 9 and May 23

Aruba since 1979

Airport Lines for us May 9 and May 23

Upon arriving in Aruba on May 9 (Airtran from Orlando)
    When we arrived at 1 pm or so, there were NO lines at immigration, the bags came right down the belt, we were in and out of the airport in about 25 minutes or less.......including a stop at duty free.

When leaving Aruba on May 23 (Airtran to Orlando)
    We arrived at the airport at 11am, met with Hans of Tropic Car Rental, checked in and made it to our gate in 35 minutes. The longest wait was 5 minutes at the US Customs line, where there was really not much of a line...5 officers working and maybe 4 ahead of us in the line.

We were happy and amazed at the quickness of both days!

I wonder how things were there over this very busy weekend?

I hope its like this in a couple weeks. I would love to only have to be there a hr and 1/2 before my flight

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    I was curious about the lines at the airport. no one has posted in a long time. more concerned with the wait time on a sunday coming home. our flight is at 6 o'clock on a sunday coming home. anyone have any observations lately on the lines. we come home in dec, the 14th, what is considered low season.

Aruba since 1979
    good question gaby
    i think you are referring to us customs lines?
    if so, they have been inconsistent.

my friend sherry (member sherryf) ran into huge lines at us customs 3 weeks ago ...they were on a flight that was to leave at around 3 (SWA to MCO) and she texted me saying the lines were very long and only 4 US Customs agents were working. the next text i received from her was a hour or more later,saying that their flight was delayed 30 minutes due to the fact some of the pasengers hadyet to clear customs. ...............and that was a monday.

i am now with the mindset that no matter the day of the week.........allow 3 hours.

I wold expect lines to be short on Fridays in May. Saturdays and Sundays in high season ma be another story. I plan to allow plenty of time when we head home.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    good question gaby
    i think you are referring to us customs lines?
    if so, they have been inconsistent.

my friend sherry (member sherryf) ran into huge lines at us customs 3 weeks ago ...they were on a flight that was to leave at around 3 (SWA to MCO) and she texted me saying the lines were very long and only 4 US Customs agents were working. the next text i received from her was a hour or more later,saying that their flight was delayed 30 minutes due to the fact some of the pasengers hadyet to clear customs. ...............and that was a monday.

i am now with the mindset that no matter the day of the week.........allow 3 hours.
    we had a delightful arrival in aruba on a saturday a few weeks ago and had the same immigration lack of lines. our luggage took about 5 minutes to arrive and we were out of there so quickly that we were done well before our friends pre appointed time for pickup happened.

departure was another story. although we knew our friends had waited for well over an hour in line for american customs the following saturday, we expected our monday departure to be a breeze. not so. we arrived more than 3 hours before the flight, had no problem at the ticket counter and going thru aruba customs in less than 15 minutes total. then the nightmare began. at one point there were well over 600 people in line for u.s. customs. the line extended well into the room that you claim your luggage for inspection. they varied between 3 and 4 agents slowly and indifferently checking the passengers thru the well over an hour that we stood in line. by the time we got to the gate we had less than 30 minutes before check in. boarding started on time but 30 passengers still were not thru the line and we had to wait for them.

this was our 27th trip to aruba and it was a great trip. the only sour note was customs. there is no excuse for the lack of agents. i have to assume that they are tired of long lines and short staff so no longer give a 'hoot'. it was a totally negative experience.

i must say that customs is not alone in this problem in aruba. we returned several months ago via atlanta from costa rica and by the time the few agents were thru with all of us and much more that 1,000 people standing in the long lines, our connection flight had already started boarding. we had arrived early from our first flight and figured we should have more than an hour after customs to grab a bite of food before our connection. we got to the flight in time to get on, sit down, fasten our belts and take off.

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    you're right, there is no rhyme or reason to it. I will still get there the allotted three hours prior. though I do notice most of the flights leave by 4 o'clock, the real crowded time being between noon and four. so maybe we'll luck out since our flight is at 6. usually there are practically no people left in the waiting room by the gates at 5 o'clock but like you said Andrea, you just can't tell. I think if i owned a house in aruba, i wouldn't care if i missed the flight but since we don't, we are at their mercy.

Well despite the long wait, it beats having to go through customs when you arrive in the US. I usually leave at a noon flight and get to the airport around 9am. Last time it was not bad about an hour total.

4 more days to go! :>)

Aruba since 1979
    ace..i do not want to forget......
    safe and fun travels to you and yours!!