Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: AirTran Airways Files Application to Fly to Aruba

This is wonderful news! We live in Clearwater Fl, and I would gladly drive to Orlando to fly direct to Aruba. Now I'm bummed that I already booked my flight for next May. Depending on price , it might be worthwhile to cancel with AA. Thanks for the info.

Sheri, we will be curious to see if the service is going to be only seasonal or year 'round.
    Also will be nice if they fly more than just one day a week such as Spirit.

Quote Originally Posted by Arubalisa View Post
    Sheri, we will be curious to see if the service is going to be only seasonal or year 'round.
    Good point! If they only fly one day a week then we would probably never use them (I like to avoid Saturdays whenever possible) - and we usually go to Aruba in late April and Sept. which is off-season.
    ~Amy~ - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 -- 36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018

Quote Originally Posted by Arubalisa View Post
    Spirit used to fly more than one day a week. When I flew on them last summer there were only 20 or so other people on the airplane. I think that was on the old Wednesday flight, no wonder it was canceled.

ORANJESTAD-Aruba Airport Authority has received an official notification from AirTran Airways, informing that they have received the necessary papers from the U.S. Department of Transportation, permitting direct weekly service from Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport and Orlando International Airport to Aruba. AirTran will use the Boeing 737-700 type aircraft on both routes. The aircraft is configured to carry up to 137 passengers.

AirTran will fly once a week from Atlanta to Aruba starting in December of 2009. The low cost carrier will be a strong competitor for the legacy carrier Delta Airlines that services the same route twice a day during the high-season.

AirTran will begin servicing the Orlando Aruba route as of February 2010. Orlando will become Aruba's 13th U.S. Gateway, and the third destination in Florida with a direct flight connection to Aruba. American Airlines and Surinam Airways service the Miami-Aruba route, Spirit Airlines services Fort Lauderdale-Aruba.
    ~Amy~ - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 -- 36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018

http://www.airlineinfo.com/ostdocket2009/ost090200.html

"AirTran Airways, Inc.
    OST-2009-0200 - Exemption - Atlanta/Orlando-Aruba
    August 25, 2009

Application for an Exemption

AirTran proposes to initiate service between ATL-AUA and MCO-AUA on or about December 15, 2009 or such later date within 90 days thereof as may be required for obtaining all governmental authorizations. AirTran will utilize B-737-700 aircraft configured with 137 seats for service on the two routes.

The one-day per week MCO-AUA nonstops will depart Orlando at 1100 hours, arriving at Aruba at 1410 hours. The one-day per week AUA-MCO nonstops will depart Aruba at 1500 hours, arriving at Orlando at 1815 hours.

The one day per week ATL-AUA nonstops will depart ATL at 1000 hours, arriving at Aruba at 1510 hours. The one-day per week AUA-ATL nonstops will depart Aruba at 1600 hours, arriving at BWI at 1925 hours.

AirTran requests that the exemption requested in this Application be granted for a period of two years or until the Department takes final action on its certificate application for the issuance of a certificate of public convenience and necessity for foreign combination service.

Counsel: Wiley Rein, Edward Faberman, 202-719-7402"

Sounds like on the return to Atlanta the flight will be non-stop to ATL with continuing service to BWI?

Aruba since 1979
    have i missed something?
    which day for orlando? atl?

andrea

once a week is almost always saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by Chadd View Post
    once a week is almost always saturday.
    Yep! I'd almost put money on it being Saturday.

Do you have any idea when you will be able to start making reservations for these flights? We are going down at the end of March and thought I may hold out getting my flights to see if prices come down a little.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast