Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Airtran/Southwest - Lost Luggage

Airtran/Southwest - Lost Luggage

Greetings from Chicago!

We traveld to Aruba last Saturday from Chicago (Southwest) to Orlando - Orlando (Airtran) to Aruba. I booked our trip on Airtran.

We arrived at 1:30 p.m. and our luggage did not make it. We went to the Baggage Claim department and filed a claim. Our luggage arrived Monday evening and everything inside was soaking wet. We spent 3 days on the phone trying to figure out what happened. I have a claim number and I have to fax over our receipts (things that we purchased on Sat/Sun) for reimbursement. We had to wash everything in our luggage and spent 3 days without our clothes.

I am wondering if anyone has had this happened before and what did the airline do for you?

Thanks!
    8th trip to Aruba!

So sorry this has happened.

Not to Aruba, and not on Air Tran/Southwest, but it has happened to us as well.

Anyone has to have it happen only once to make sure you always carry "extras" in your carry on

I learned my lesson this trip! We never carry a carry on but I will in the future.
    8th trip to Aruba!

Pelican Pier at sunset with a bucket of Brights! Sunsets at Bunker Bar LG Smith Steakhouse, Paddock
    Sorry to hear about your problem, I wonder what the heck happened that everything inside was soaking wet? Did AirTran have any reason for that? I always carry some clothing and all medicines and extra bathing suits etc. but of course carry-ons do not hold too much. One time in Aruba I met a lady who was totally miserable as her luggage was lost most of her trip I gave her some of my extra clothes to wear I felt so bad for her. Good luck with your claim.

Quote Originally Posted by DiviDiviFan View Post
    Sorry to hear about your problem, I wonder what the heck happened that everything inside was soaking wet? Did AirTran have any reason for that? I always carry some clothing and all medicines and extra bathing suits etc. but of course carry-ons do not hold too much. One time in Aruba I met a lady who was totally miserable as her luggage was lost most of her trip I gave her some of my extra clothes to wear I felt so bad for her. Good luck with your claim.
    Airtran agent did not have reason as to why everything was soaking wet. Another group had the same problem and did not receive any answers.

I did go to the Baggage Claim department in Chicago and they did refund us the $ we had to spend for the items we needed. I kept all of our receipts and they made copies.

We were able to purchase all of our toiletries at SuperFoods across from LaCabana. I was very pleased with SuperFoods and glad they were open!
    8th trip to Aruba!

Aruba since 1979
    Similar thing happened on SWA with my son and DIL and they not only received cleaning drying reimbursement but were handed new suitcases and flight vouchers. SWA went over and above. Their trip was domestic Manchester to Tampa and they watched their bags sitting outside next to the plane in the rain.

Never had my suitcases returned to me with the clothes wet, but on a flight from pittsburgh to st.louis ( on SW) my luggage didn't make it. It was a direct flight so I was confused as to why my luggage go lost....SW told me they would have my luggage to me by 10 the next morning but since it was a quick work trip (in and out) for less than 24 hours I told them I would already be on checked out of my hotel by then....so...they gave me a travel bag with toiletries, a voucher for another round trip ticket and my bag was at the airport waiting for me when I arrived the next afternoon... I did have to explain to my work why I was arriving in a pair of yoga pants and sweatshirt however....
    Had luggage delayed as well on a trip to Aruba one year...USAir gave us a 75.00 voucher (each) and promised our luggage would be there the next day....it was and we got to spend 150 on gifts to take home (all we had to do was send in the receipts for what we bought and a check was mailed to us immediately)

Sorry you were not treated as well with your luggage.......I suggest emailing a letter to customer services at SW and explain what happened and "suggest" they compensate you some way for your inconvenience......all they can say is no.....
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

Quote Originally Posted by danadog56 View Post
    Never had my suitcases returned to me with the clothes wet, but on a flight from pittsburgh to st.louis ( on SW) my luggage didn't make it. It was a direct flight so I was confused as to why my luggage go lost....SW told me they would have my luggage to me by 10 the next morning but since it was a quick work trip (in and out) for less than 24 hours I told them I would already be on checked out of my hotel by then....so...they gave me a travel bag with toiletries, a voucher for another round trip ticket and my bag was at the airport waiting for me when I arrived the next afternoon... I did have to explain to my work why I was arriving in a pair of yoga pants and sweatshirt however....
    Had luggage delayed as well on a trip to Aruba one year...USAir gave us a 75.00 voucher (each) and promised our luggage would be there the next day....it was and we got to spend 150 on gifts to take home (all we had to do was send in the receipts for what we bought and a check was mailed to us immediately)

Sorry you were not treated as well with your luggage.......I suggest emailing a letter to customer services at SW and explain what happened and "suggest" they compensate you some way for your inconvenience......all they can say is no.....

I am going to email a letter this week and let them know what happened. The airline should be aware of what is going on in the baggage department.
    There were a few people with missing luggage and when it arrived it was soaking wet as well.

I have a feeling with SW/Airtran merge something didn't go as it should have. Our first leg of the flight was on SW second leg was on Airtran.
    8th trip to Aruba!

Under my chickie at the aruba beach club along with my husband and my favorite drink
    So sorry to hear about your luggage. I have had it happen domestically but not international. They delivered my luggage to my hotel and everything was intact. For that reason in my carry to Aruba I take a change of clothes, some flip flops a bathing suit and other essential that won't take up to much room. Sorry to hear about your ordeal. I hope you get some answers! Can't figure out the wet luggage though, very strange.

Was it raining in Chicago or Orlando?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast