Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: American Air takeover

Eagle Beach, Baby Beach, Arashi Beach Tierra Del Sol golf course

American Air takeover

U S Air is exploring a takeover of American Airlines. The morning paper here said they have been talking to AAs creditors to see if they would be condusive to the takeover. AA has over 7000 employees in Tulsa. In the bancruptcy AA is trying to eliminate 2300 of those jobs here. AAs largest maintenance facility is here. Dont know how this would affect travel to Aruba. AA has 2 flights a day from MIA.

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    Jesh, hate to hear 2300 people might loose their jobs.....what is becoming of this country ??

Quote Originally Posted by cindyo View Post
    Jesh, hate to hear 2300 people might loose their jobs.....what is becoming of this country ??
    That's easy......greed and selfishness....on both sides of the labor dispute.
    Please contact via e-mail at arubarennowner@gmail.com

Eagle Beach, Baby Beach, Arashi Beach Tierra Del Sol golf course

Smile

The unions gave American concessions 4 or 5 years ago that amounted to around 30% of their total benefit package so American would not file bancruptcy. The very next January American distributed several hundred million dollars in bonuses to top management and executives. Their rationale for these bonuses was that it was the only way to keep their managers from leaving. My thought is that if your company is in the toilet maybe its because of these managers you want to pay to stay.

Since 1980, and throughout the many changes, we still love going downtown in Oranjestad.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by arubabob View Post
    The unions gave American concessions 4 or 5 years ago that amounted to around 30% of their total benefit package so American would not file bancruptcy. The very next January American distributed several hundred million dollars in bonuses to top management and executives. Their rationale for these bonuses was that it was the only way to keep their managers from leaving. My thought is that if your company is in the toilet maybe its because of these managers you want to pay to stay.

This sounds very much like Air Canada up here. They got loads of concessions from their unions (pilots, flight attendants, baggage handlers, ticket agents and mechanics) to help the airline survive. They had been in bankruptcy protection several years ago. I don't know about U.S. carriers, but Air Canada has layer upon layer of management sitting in Montreal. No concessions from those guys, just bonuses for sending the airline's technical work to Guatemala. For the average Air Canada employee it would be easier to get an audience with the Queen than to talk tp upper or even middle management at AC.

In Canada, the US and elsewhere, how and why things happen in the airline industry are baffling, at least they are to me.

Glenn

Let me just correct GLENN. It isn,t just airline industry it is going on through entire economy structure and there isn,t any light at the end of the tunnel, just yet

It's possible that either US Airways' CLT-AUA route could be eliminated, or American's MIA-AUA route. I don't see them keeping both. Regardless, I'm all for this merger, only because US Airways has a flawless management team. Very profitable airline. Of course... most passengers aren't really concerned with the profitability of the airline... but I'm an airline enthusiast lol

Most of the executive bonuses at American were in the form of stock options that required several years to vest. Not only did they have to wait in order to cash them in, the stock price had to go up. They are all now worthless.

As for Miami or Charlotte, my guess would be Charlotte as it is a cheaper airport in terms of per passenger charges and the fact that most of the traffic through those two cities is connecting.

So is this sounding more and more like American Airlines customers should sign up for US Air fare alerts and the US Air frequent flier program?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast