Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: American Air takeover

Aruba since 1979
    We had some aa air vouchers. Those r now
    ticketed for aruba in nov.

AA to usairways ? A yr or more ago I would
    have said no way. Now I say wait and see?

Pan am
    TWA
    Eastern
    Aruba air
    those were the days.......

Quote Originally Posted by Arubalisa View Post
    So is this sounding more and more like American Airlines customers should sign up for US Air fare alerts and the US Air frequent flier program?
    Actually, with American being the name with better recognition, it will be the surviving brand IF there is a merger. The FF programs would be combined into one or the other, as well as some likely modifications to keep people happy. it will be as seamless as they can make it, IF there is a merger.

Don't get too worried about it yet, in any case. Even if there was an agreement today, it would be at least a year before any of that happened. These things don't happen overnight.

Quote Originally Posted by Chadd View Post
    Actually, with American being the name with better recognition, it will be the surviving brand IF there is a merger. The FF programs would be combined into one or the other, as well as some likely modifications to keep people happy. it will be as seamless as they can make it, IF there is a merger..
    Perfect logical sense!

Actually, with American being the name with better recognition, it will be the surviving brand IF there is a merger. The FF programs would be combined into one or the other, as well as some likely modifications to keep people happy. it will be as seamless as they can make it, IF there is a merger.

Don't get too worried about it yet, in any case. Even if there was an agreement today, it would be at least a year before any of that happened. These things don't happen overnight.
    Geez, I would much rather the name stay USAir...probably because I do not like AA....flights always so expensive compared to USAir....and I hope they get rid of the folks at AA that caused this mess to begin with.
    When USAir and America West merged US had to comply with some basic no nonsense things AW was already doing and proved profitable as well....hopefully this will continue to be the case, I can live without the pretzels....
    I fly USAir almost exclusively for 2 reasons, one is that I live so close to the Pittsburgh airport and have tried to stay loyal and 2 they are always the cheapest to fly....
    Will see what happens...
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

Quote Originally Posted by danadog56 View Post
    Geez, I would much rather the name stay USAir...probably because I do not like AA....flights always so expensive compared to USAir....and I hope they get rid of the folks at AA that caused this mess to begin with.
    When USAir and America West merged US had to comply with some basic no nonsense things AW was already doing and proved profitable as well....hopefully this will continue to be the case, I can live without the pretzels....
    I fly USAir almost exclusively for 2 reasons, one is that I live so close to the Pittsburgh airport and have tried to stay loyal and 2 they are always the cheapest to fly....
    Will see what happens...
    The people that caused it at AA are actually all of the other airlines. When every other major airline filed for bankruptcy and were able to lower costs by cutting employee wages and pocketing pension funds, AA did not. Their costs were significantly higher than the other airlines and were unable to charge higher fares to make up for their higher costs.

Since 1980, and throughout the many changes, we still love going downtown in Oranjestad.
    It's going to be very interesting to see how things play out.

I don't see the MIA-AUA route being cut. They currently have two flights per day to AUA. Moreover it's not just Aruba; MIA likely sees itself as the natural hub or jumping off point for travel to all of the Caribbean, as well as Central and South America. I think MIA would do what it could to ensure AA maintains its presence there.

Andrea; Eastern, Pan Am, ALM, Air Aruba. Those were the days indeed. Toss in Bali, Scaramouche and the Talk of the Town and one almost weeps with nostalgia. C'est la vie!

Aruba since 1979
    i agree
    however AA will present itself after all is said and done, either as AA or in a new company i cannot see it leaving the MIA hub.
    AA is a huge presence in MIA.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post

I don't see the MIA-AUA route being cut. They currently have two flights per day to AUA. Moreover it's not just Aruba; MIA likely sees itself as the natural hub or jumping off point for travel to all of the Caribbean, as well as Central and South America. I think MIA would do what it could to ensure AA maintains its presence there.

Andrea; Eastern, Pan Am, ALM, Air Aruba. Those were the days indeed. Toss in Bali, Scaramouche and the Talk of the Town and one almost weeps with nostalgia. C'est la vie!

Don't forget Republic, Northwest, Braniff, People's Express, TWA...and the list goes on.

I remember flying on TWA to my first International destination (Italy) and, of course, we flew Northwest for EONS because they were based here in Minneapolis until they merged with Delta in 2008 and kept the Delta name. Even with the merger though, MSP still remains a huge hub for Delta - similar to AA/Miami.
    ~Amy~ - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 -- 36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018

I would expect all of the central/south American and Caribbean destinations with significant O&D to continue to be operated from Miami. Those that are connection dependent, would likely be moved. Aruba is a connection dependent destination and would be moved in my opinion.

Eagle Beach, Baby Beach, Arashi Beach Tierra Del Sol golf course
    The people that caused it at AA are actually all of the other airlines. When every other major airline filed for bankruptcy and were able to lower costs by cutting employee wages and pocketing pension funds, AA did not. Their costs were significantly higher than the other airlines and were unable to charge higher fares to make up for their higher costs.
    Not only that but AA was less than a year into its huge buyout of TWA when 911 occured. They never recovered financially.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast